Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times

Advertisements

I imagine there are worse places in the US than some of those choices and there's certainly worse places in the world.

One I find odd is OKC. Not saying I'd want to live there, but I thought it was handling the recession okay and although it has crime problems there are worse cities for that. I guess they're going on obesity and general health, but I thought I remembered Huntington, West Virginia being worse on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Oklahoma City didn't seem so bad to me. Maybe it's on the list because of all the tornadoes it gets?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Well, if you actually read the list, it's not so ridiculous. "This list is far from comprehensive, but there are some significant reasons why these cities made the cut- In certain U.S. cities, life is much worse for residents than in other areas of the country." It just highlights parts about each city that's worse than other cities for that criteria.

Like, El Centro has the worst unemployment rate in the nation, Detroit's the most dangerous, Las Vegas is hard hit with foreclosures, LA has the worst ozone pollution and traffic in the country, and Newark for poverty, cut working hours, and violence.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Well, if you actually read the list, it's not so ridiculous. "This list is far from comprehensive, but there are some significant reasons why these cities made the cut- In certain U.S. cities, life is much worse for residents than in other areas of the country." It just highlights parts about each city that's worse than other cities for that criteria.

Like, El Centro has the worst unemployment rate in the nation, Detroit's the most dangerous, Las Vegas is hard hit with foreclosures, LA has the worst ozone pollution and traffic in the country, and Newark for poverty, cut working hours, and violence.
No I actually read the list and from actually being in some of those places like Oklahoma City, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, & Phoenix some of them deserve it with their economic problems. But some of them don't.

And I know I come off as a Los Angeles booster every time I get on but I can tell you (as well as 18Montclair & caliguy19) that the reasoning for Los Angeles is bogus.

Lol.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
No I actually read the list and from actually being in some of those places like Oklahoma City, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, & Phoenix some of them deserve it with their economic problems. But some of them don't.

And I know I come off as a Los Angeles booster every time I get on but I can tell you (as well as 18Montclair & caliguy19) that the reasoning for Los Angeles is bogus.

Lol.
Even so lol, everyone was like, no way on this list. I'm not saying it belongs on a worst cities to live in America list, but worst air pollution in the country is pretty bad, if you have like asthma or sinus problems or something. El Centro definitely belonged there, that's just depressing, unemployment ville in the middle of the desert.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Even so lol, everyone was like, no way on this list. I'm not saying it belongs on a worst cities to live in America list, but worst air pollution in the country is pretty bad, if you have like asthma or sinus problems or something. El Centro definitely belonged there, that's just depressing, unemployment ville in the middle of the desert.
Yeah I haven't ever even heard of El Centro so I'm not even going to try and defend some place that I've never known existed lol.

Yeah but like seriously though? It's not like you walk outside and all of a sudden you die though. And yeah you can have asthma and whatnot and I understand that, but for real? Generalizing a city based off handicap disadvantages only a minority of the population would have? By generalizing I didn't mean you- I meant the guy who wrote up the list.

That is like them putting Hartford on the list because it's "too cold and snows a lot".

That would put the minority of the people who can get illnesses and whatever from cold weather and possibility of pneumonia at risk. Lol, I am looking too deep into this- I can already tell I am.

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Had to insert proper reasoning to avoid complications

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah I haven't ever even heard of El Centro so I'm not even going to try and defend some place that I've never known existed lol.

Yeah but like seriously though? It's not like you walk outside and all of a sudden you die though. And yeah you can have asthma and whatnot and I understand that, but for real? Generalizing a city based off handicap disadvantages only a minority of the population would have?

That is like them putting Hartford on the list because it's "too cold and snows a lot".

That would put the minority of the people who can get illnesses and whatever from cold weather and possibility of pneumonia at risk. Lol, I am looking too deep into this- I can already tell I am.
I think you are taking it too hard lol. It has the worst air pollution in the country, I mean come on that sucks lol. It won't kill you or anything, but it can't be good for your long term health. And I think part of the reason Cleveland was here was cause it's too cold and snows alot lol.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
And I think part of the reason Cleveland was here was cause it's too cold and snows alot lol.
Yes so that way there could be many people who make a Frosty the Snowman type of situation out of 60 inches of unbearable snow per year and pass it off as a "winter pass time & Christmas Spirit". There is no justice with Forbes, like ever. They are Hippocrates in the essence that they reflect different opinions on a daily basis.

I would not be surprised if I see New York City on "Most dangerous cities" list tomorrow because of maybe one murder more than last year, that sounds like something Forbes will do. LOL!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Yes so that way there could be many people who make a Frosty the Snowman type of situation out of 60 inches of unbearable snow per year and pass it off as a "winter pass time & Christmas Spirit". There is no justice with Forbes, like ever. They are Hippocrates in the essence that they reflect different opinions on a daily basis.

I would not be surprised if I see New York City on "Most dangerous cities" list tomorrow because of maybe one murder more than last year, that sounds like something Forbes will do. LOL!
Hippocrates?

How dare you SULLY HIS NAME! He's the father of modern science! Without him, medical advancements that make modern life POSSIBLE wouldn't exist.

As an LA resident, fine, we're a miserable place to live. I don't care. It's still my home. A publication won't change that aspect of it. Please, take millions of our people You can have them!

And to be frank, pollution has gotten MUCH better since the 1970s. Hell, its much noticeable in my lifetime. However, the geography of the region seems to be the bane of its existence.

If 17 million people manage to live in the region WITHOUT dying en masse, then it must not be that bad. Anytime you get people, you get pollution. That's a fact. If you don't want pollution, why don't you kill all people?

No Greenies, I don't really mean that. Please don't kill me. When I have wife and kids, you can take them

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Hippocrates?

How dare you SULLY HIS NAME! He's the father of modern science! Without him, medical advancements that make modern life POSSIBLE wouldn't exist.

As an LA resident, fine, we're a miserable place to live. I don't care. It's still my home. A publication won't change that aspect of it. Please, take millions of our people You can have them!
I meant to say hypocrites*

I just wasn't paying attention to spelling at the moment, lol.

And as for taking millions of people, the hell no! You guys can keep them.

More people right now = higher unemployment rate because they'll be sitting around with no jobs = weaker stability = terrible economy.

Send them to DFW, they want to outgrow Chicago & Los Angeles anyways, they'll be happy to have more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City