Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston vs LA
Boston 189 41.45%
Los Angeles 267 58.55%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
In that area yes, the thing with is in LA, all the amenities you'd want to do are spread out allll over the place and b/c of the size, combined with the huge traffic mess and public transit needs which need to be added, it makes it a lot different lifestyle in the two cities unless you want to really limit yourself in LA. Boston and even SF in your own state is way more centralized. Theres a lot more places that are mixed use retail/housing packed into one place and as far as I know a higher day-long population, plus add in on the students, which as far as I know are not counted in the population #'s. If I recall correctly, I think Boston day-long population is around 1.2 Million, with special event population reaching around 2million.
I am not sure how LA is setup, but in the Bay Area, again if I recall correctly an area like San Jose actually LOSES population during the day.
Then what's the problem? That area is bigger than the city of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I have said this numerous times and will say it again. Bigger does not equal more urban. Californians can't seem to grasp this concept.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NO city in the US Beats Boston in Higher education, but compared to LA its one of the few Catagories Boston wins in, as well as History, and Fine arts.
Food is basicly a draw, LA winning in Asain and Mid east food, Boston in European and Latin American Food (outside Mexico/Guatamala)
No it isnt, and no way in hell does Boston beat L.A. in Latin American food.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Figure out how to buy toothpaste without owning a car then come back to me.
Figure out how to not embarrass yourself every time you post, and get back to me.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
I took this picture of the largest suburb in America from my GF's loft...

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/306376_2651474888642_1308840717_33058754_538543842 _n.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
No it isnt, and no way in hell does Boston beat L.A. in Latin American food.
Food is a tough one because it all depends on what someone likes to eat. These two cities seem to be a stark contrast in the foods they specialize in.

I don't see Boston winning in any Latin American categories besides Brasilian...however maybe he was meaning to say Caribbean? That would make sense since Boston has a sizable Caribbean population.

Other than that, Boston's going to be considerably better in seafood, Italian, Portuguese/Brasilian, and perhaps Caribbean (don't know what LA's presence is in that regard)...not sure what else. Los Angeles obviously has a huge advantage in Mexican and Asian.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Los Angeles is just too big, too diverse to encapsulate in one generic cliche.

There are enough interconnected, easily walkable, easily liveable without a car, neighborhoods in Los Angeles to make an entire city with 800,000 people in 56 or so sq miles.

On the flip side, there are probably enough sprawly, low rise, car oriented neighborhoods to make a city of a similar size.

I just choose to work, live and play in the first option that is Los Angeles, and avoid the second part (not that the sprawly places are devoid of interesting things though).

Even this explanation of LA is too simplistic to encapsulate the entire place.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I have said this numerous times and will say it again. Bigger does not equal more urban. Californians can't seem to grasp this concept.
Of course it does. No matter how you spin this (crying about cabs?), the BOTTOM line is that L.A. is simply bigger AND more dense than Boston. Pure unadulterated facts.

Btw, those Boston suburbs that were posted earlier total 36.2 sq miles. So basically, Boston's densest 80 sq miles are less populated than LA's. Therefore Boston is the "more urban" city, lol. Sure.

I can probably find a 48 sq miles chunk (Boston's size) in the San Fernando Valley that's more densely packed.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Food is a tough one because it all depends on what someone likes to eat.

I don't see Boston winning in any Latin American categories besides Brasilian...however maybe he was meaning to say Caribbean? That would make sense since Boston has a sizable Caribbean population.

Other than that, Boston's going to be considerably better in seafood, Italian, Portuguese/Brasilian...not sure what else. Los Angeles obviously has a huge advantage in Mexican and Asian.
I'm going to say seafood is a toss up, if sushi counts as seafood.

Although nothing beats a lobstah roll from Boston.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Figure out how to not embarrass yourself every time you post, and get back to me.
I choose Boston over LA. Better food, more attractive women, I dont care for beaches or surfers, the economy in LA is poor, few job opportunities, lack sports culture, hippies are everywhere, effimancy is rampant, and the city has the future of Detroit. Oh, yeah..... and my rep compared to my posts is higher than yours. Who is embarassed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City