Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM

64 posts, read 142,634 times

Advertisements

all that stuff is right next to the campus and its pretty much all on one street.

the gaslight is probably a 15 minute walk to the campus.

they have shuttles im not really sure what the routes are cause i never used one but i would expect they go to all the main housing areas around campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
I have a great friend who goes to UC and doesn't own a car. He loves it. On that note, hope you like the city and school, both rule!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniofcincy View Post
Thanks guys, can you let me know which cross roads you are talking about?

Also is it dangerous to walk around if I walk home at night?

I heard the campus is really unsafe.
The campus itself isnt unsafe. The surrounding area isnt the best. There is a certain element that prays on the young college students. Unfortunately thats just a fact.

G Man

Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,959 times
Corryville is a little more rough than Clifton. The Gaslight is a nice and extremely wealthy area where a lot of middle-class to wealthier folks raise their kids. Use street smarts and you'll be fine. I'd say the Gaslight is a little closer than a 15 minute walk to UC ... a friend of mine does it everyday (teacher). Think about it ... walk down Ludlow, to Jefferson.

Cincinnati near Ludlow Avenue, OH - Google Maps

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
the address you gave is the law school i think. the law school is about the furthest possible point from the gaslight district. it is at least a twenty minute walk.

the university and its environs are dramatically different today than they are even when i started grad school there in 2003. there is hundreds of millions of dollars in investment in the areas around campus, not to mention the millions of dollars of investment on the campus itself.

i would recommend living along the areas i mentioned in my earlier post. you'll be much closer to campus and in my opinion the shopping and restaurant choice in better along mcmillain and calhoun than along ludlow in the gaslight area. the gaslight area is cool, but i think you are giving up more than you get in return from living down there.

regarding safety, it is an urban campus, but these days it is a residential campus and the whole place is designed around young and smart people. i wouldn't listen to anyone's stories of what life is like at UC unless they have attended in the last five years. it really is THAT different. if you have lived in a small town your whole life, you will feel out of place for a while and the urban-ness will be an adjustment, but you will acclimate and likely come to really enjoy the communities adjacent to campus and the diversity and opportunities they offer. unlike some colleges, life at UC is not living in a bubble; it is living in a real city with real city issues. in my opinion this is an enormous plus.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM

30 posts, read 85,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the address you gave is the law school i think. the law school is about the furthest possible point from the gaslight district. it is at least a twenty minute walk.

the university and its environs are dramatically different today than they are even when i started grad school there in 2003. there is hundreds of millions of dollars in investment in the areas around campus, not to mention the millions of dollars of investment on the campus itself.

i would recommend living along the areas i mentioned in my earlier post. you'll be much closer to campus and in my opinion the shopping and restaurant choice in better along mcmillain and calhoun than along ludlow in the gaslight area. the gaslight area is cool, but i think you are giving up more than you get in return from living down there.

regarding safety, it is an urban campus, but these days it is a residential campus and the whole place is designed around young and smart people. i wouldn't listen to anyone's stories of what life is like at UC unless they have attended in the last five years. it really is THAT different. if you have lived in a small town your whole life, you will feel out of place for a while and the urban-ness will be an adjustment, but you will acclimate and likely come to really enjoy the communities adjacent to campus and the diversity and opportunities they offer. unlike some colleges, life at UC is not living in a bubble; it is living in a real city with real city issues. in my opinion this is an enormous plus.

Thanks so much for the response!

Can you maybe google map link me where exactly you would recommend in terms of convenience and safety purposes?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

how late is still 'safe' to be around campus? I heard all classes end at 7PM?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
i attached a horribly lame PDF of the general areas I am talking about near campus. Riddle road and probasco is a residential area. Quieter than south of campus but also further from restaurants, etc. I believe there are new apartments on stratford (west of campus between straight and joselin). Those would be very nice. South of campus is the heart of the action. I would stay within a block or two of campus so that you aren't walking too far alone at night.

I had some night classes, some day classes, some afternoon classes. I don't think i have had more than two night classes a week though.

It is a 24 hour campus and people are around at all hours. I used to catch the bus on W McMillan as late as the bus ran (around midnight). I never had trouble. Although I wouldn't mind, I would not want my wife or daughter walking alone after 8 or 9pm more than a block or two from campus.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf uc map.pdf (194.3 KB, 257 views)

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i attached a horribly lame PDF of the general areas I am talking about near campus. Riddle road and probasco is a residential area. Quieter than south of campus but also further from restaurants, etc. I believe there are new apartments on stratford (west of campus between straight and joselin). Those would be very nice. South of campus is the heart of the action. I would stay within a block or two of campus so that you aren't walking too far alone at night.

I had some night classes, some day classes, some afternoon classes. I don't think i have had more than two night classes a week though.

It is a 24 hour campus and people are around at all hours. I used to catch the bus on W McMillan as late as the bus ran (around midnight). I never had trouble. Although I wouldn't mind, I would not want my wife or daughter walking alone after 8 or 9pm more than a block or two from campus.
Thanks so much! I heard a lot of horrible things regarding MLK Drive. Are the apartments on stratford gated and within 15 min to campus/groceries? Thank you!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM

64 posts, read 142,634 times
i just graduated from UC and lived down there for 2 years and never felt unsafe. Theres no where you would even want to go thats further than a 10 minute walk from campus. just avoid the east side of clifton around east mcmillan vine street but again theres nothing over there to see anyway so it shouldnt be a worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati