Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,082 times

Advertisements

I will be moving into Cincinnati from Oklahoma City in June. I have been offered a full time job as an instructor at University of Cincinnati. I should start in the fall of this year (2009). So far, my highest degree is a MA. I am planning to complete my PhD in the next coming years to be able to obtain better opportunities in the field. The only university that offers the program in my field is OSU in Columbus. I found out that the PhD program is flexible and as a part time student I will be attending classes at the most twice a week.

As crazy as it may sound, I plan to work and live in Cincy and attend OSU part time.

Can anybody get me feedback on how you see my plans to attend OSU while working and living in Cincinnati? Will this be a crazy idea? How is the driving? I am willing go through some sacrifice in order to obtain my PhD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
OSU is 100 miles from UC give or take. People do live in Lebanon and commute to UC. And, I think I could make it to OSU from Lebanon in an hour without too much risk of the endless radar on I-71.

I can tell you from driving to Columbus twice a week for a Summer, that its about the most boring trip there is. You must be between the two beltways for it to work, so I'd say Lebanon would be your ticket. And, it helps that Lebanon is a great area with a wide range of housing and life style offerrings, from rural to town, elegant to affordable.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
It's not a difficult drive at all, around 80 to 90 minutes and surprisingly little traffic other than in and around the two cities.

How many days a work will you be working at UC? If I were driving into Clifton four or five times a week, and driving to Cbus twice a week, I'd opt to live closer to UC to reduce the hassle I'd have getting to work. Try the northern 'burbs along I-71 -- not as far north as Lebanon, but maybe Sharonville or Montgomery.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Yes, I found out that I will be actually teaching at the UC Raymond Walters College campus in Blue Ash. I will have to be on campus around 30 to 35 hours per week as a full time instructor. By looking at the maps RWC is in Blue Ash which looks closer to Sharonville, Montgomery and Lebanon than going all of the way to downtown Cinci.

My main concern was the driving to Columbus to attend OSU. I guess it is good to hear that is not a bad drive, that is encouraging. Thanks though for letting me know is boring. I could try to listen to some good cds or something to avoid that.

You guys are awesome, thank you for helping me!!! I can still take more feedback if you will.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barak123 View Post
As crazy as it may sound, I plan to work and live in Cincy and attend OSU part time.

Can anybody get me feedback on how you see my plans to attend OSU while working and living in Cincinnati? Will this be a crazy idea? How is the driving? I am willing go through some sacrifice in order to obtain my PhD.
I commuted 110 miles between Columbia, MO and St. Louis (~110 miles) to get my graduate degree. It is doable at least in theory.

If you can limit the time that you need to be in Columbus to two days and still meet the commitments of a PhD program, it is not all that bad. However, if the program expects you to teach in Columbus (PhD candidates as slave labor) AND be in town 3-4 days a week, it is an unrealistic plan.

As for commuting in 80 minutes, that is crazy trying to drive 110 miles in 80 minutes. Also, do consider that there is weather (especially ice storms) over that stretch of road in the winter months. You will find traffic and that it takes time to find parking on or around campus.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,433 times
Quote:
If you can limit the time that you need to be in Columbus to two days and still meet the commitments of a PhD program, it is not all that bad. However, if the program expects you to teach in Columbus (PhD candidates as slave labor) AND be in town 3-4 days a week, it is an unrealistic plan.

As for commuting in 80 minutes, that is crazy trying to drive 110 miles in 80 minutes. Also, do consider that there is weather (especially ice storms) over that stretch of road in the winter months. You will find traffic and that it takes time to find parking on or around campus.
I live in Columbus and make the drive to Cincinnati often. I also went to OSU and can say that you will have to plan for time to A) drive, B), traffic, C)weather, and D) parking in the city of Columbus and around OSU is not easy.

If you are only doing this 2 days a week, maybe. If you have to more often than that I would suggest moving to Columbus if you really need to be in this program for your education. Columbus is a big city as well and maybe you could find a similar position there. I know that getting hired at a university can be difficult but OSU is a big university and might have a instructing job for you, as well Columbus has other colleges that might be hiring (given they have your program, etc) It just depends on which is more important, A)your job at Cincinnati or B)your PhD, and since your Phd is in Columbus it would make more sense to relocate there.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barak123 View Post
I will be moving into Cincinnati from Oklahoma City in June. I have been offered a full time job as an instructor at University of Cincinnati. I should start in the fall of this year (2009). So far, my highest degree is a MA. I am planning to complete my PhD in the next coming years to be able to obtain better opportunities in the field. The only university that offers the program in my field is OSU in Columbus. I found out that the PhD program is flexible and as a part time student I will be attending classes at the most twice a week.

I don't think it's a crazy idea. I agree the drive along I-71 can be monotonously boring...but it wouldn't be a big deal if you only do it twice a week. You're looking at about a 1:45 drive from Blue Ash. You could consider living in Mason or thereabouts and it would make it a bit easier for you.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 AM

Great! you guys are awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with practical information. I now have a better idea on how to plan. One last question I would like to post. Streetcreed mentioned it in one word: weather.

I live in Oklahoma, here we are not prepared for any kind of heavy ice or snow storms. The city and schools close with only 3 or 4 inches of snow. Our city is not equipped to quick make the main avenues and highways available.

How is the maintenance with highway 71? with snow and ice storm days? Does Columbus close schools also? I know for a fact that Ohio has better equipment to keep the roads available during snow days.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
The geology of Ohio works like this. Cincinnati is a hilly mess. When it snows everything gets screwed up. At the 8 mile marker on I-71 it turns flat as a pancake all the way to Columbus. Thank the Ordovician Glacier for that. I-71 is aways passable unless the wind starts blowing cars around. Happens one day a year.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Once you leave the I-275 loop, the panic level over the least little bit of snow decreases dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati