Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The geology of Ohio works like this. Cincinnati is a hilly mess. When it snows everything gets screwed up. At the 8 mile marker on I-71 it turns flat as a pancake all the way to Columbus. Thank the Ordovician Glacier for that. I-71 is aways passable unless the wind starts blowing cars around. Happens one day a year.
You lost me on that one....where is the 8-mile marker you're referring to?

Anyway....it is true that schools around Cincinnati call off for anything more than 2" accumulation, and people freak out at the slightest hint of minor snow showers. So be prepared to crawl along at low speeds when in the Cincinnati area during the Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
You lost me on that one....where is the 8-mile marker you're referring to?

Anyway....it is true that schools around Cincinnati call off for anything more than 2" accumulation, and people freak out at the slightest hint of minor snow showers. So be prepared to crawl along at low speeds when in the Cincinnati area during the Winter.
Well, I71 has these really helpful mile markers every tenth of a mile starting downtown. So if you're on 71, and going north, they start at 1.0 and go all the way to Columbus which is probably about 100.0. So, Edwards Road is about 5 and I guess Red Bank would be about 9, so maybe its 10 or 11 when it is completely flat. But, if you ever get stranded and you say "northbound 71 at the 8.2 mile marker", they will find you for sure.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I71 has these really helpful mile markers every tenth of a mile starting downtown. So if you're on 71, and going north, they start at 1.0 and go all the way to Columbus which is probably about 100.0. So, Edwards Road is about 5 and I guess Red Bank would be about 9, so maybe its 10 or 11 when it is completely flat. But, if you ever get stranded and you say "northbound 71 at the 8.2 mile marker", they will find you for sure.
I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. Just didn't know if you were talking about the 18-mile marker, but made a typo and left off the "1".

Yeah, you really don't flatten out until you get to the Montgomery Road exit. However, we should probably note the hill going down to the Little Miami canyon near Fort Ancient. I doubt that would be an issue in the snow, as it's not a steep decline.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM

I wasn't being a smartass either. I wasn't sure if you knew about the mile markers.

But, to be precise, Montgomery Road above Kenwood is Exit 12. So, I guess it is flat from about the 11.5 mile marker to Columbus. Again, thank the glaciers.

Last edited by Wilson513; 05-14-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 PM

They number the exits according to the nearest mile marker going north, correct?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
They number the exits according to the nearest mile marker going north, correct?

Yea, its quite convenient. You know if you going to Exit 66 and you just passed Exit 32 you have 34 miles to go. And, thoe emergency vehicles often can't find people who need their help. So if you look to the guard rail and it says 8/3 you are at the 8.3 mile post and they can find you.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yea, its quite convenient. You know if you going to Exit 66 and you just passed Exit 32 you have 34 miles to go.
True, but only if you're going north or east on an interstate. If you're heading south or west, you have to subtract the exit from the mile marker.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 9,081 times
Thank you again to everyone! I have decided to go for my PhD at OSU. I will be living and working in Cincy and will commute to Columbus for school. Thanks for all the practical info. I will be driving to Cincy the week after Memorial Day to explore the area, check for housing, visit RWC, and also for an interview at OSU on Monday May 26.

It is very exciting!

Thank you thank you again!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barak123 View Post
I will be moving into Cincinnati from Oklahoma City in June. I have been offered a full time job as an instructor at University of Cincinnati. I should start in the fall of this year (2009). So far, my highest degree is a MA. I am planning to complete my PhD in the next coming years to be able to obtain better opportunities in the field. The only university that offers the program in my field is OSU in Columbus. I found out that the PhD program is flexible and as a part time student I will be attending classes at the most twice a week.

As crazy as it may sound, I plan to work and live in Cincy and attend OSU part time.

Can anybody get me feedback on how you see my plans to attend OSU while working and living in Cincinnati? Will this be a crazy idea? How is the driving? I am willing go through some sacrifice in order to obtain my PhD.
Depending on your area of study OSU has a lot of online classes. They also have weekend and evening. Most likely take you a little time, but is feasible. I considered it since I am interested in Polish Jewery in History for Masters, but I think I am shooting for Brandeis. Goodluck! I really enjoyed my time at the University of Cincinnati. One more thing, OSU has an online website that allows you to see a lot about class availability and so forth before you even sign up. Also, my advice is to live in the middle. In this way you will have an hour and a half drive to work, and an hour and a half drive to school.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Raymond Walters is right off I-275 in Blue Ash, an easy drive from the North. I would definitely consider Lebanon or South Lebanon as places to live to get a jump on the drive to OSU. As others have commented, the drive to Columbus is boring, much like the drive from Oklahoma City to Lawton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati