Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM

38 posts, read 44,035 times

Advertisements

Today it was announced that tomorrow there will be a Press Conference for a new Cincinnati Soccer team, FC Cincinnati. I wanted to get your thoughts about this.

I'm From Detroit and a big supporter of Detroit City FC, who plays against the Cincinnati Saints. I will be moving to Cincinnati in the spring and look forward to supporting your clubs.

The new FC Cincinnati will play at the newly renovated Nippert Stadium. FC Cincinnati will be owned by the Linder Family and ran by the ex-Director of Sales for the Bengals and Former Cincinnati Councilman, Jeff Berding They will play in the USL league which is the tier just below MLS. The Cincinnati Saints play in NPSL which is the fourth tier of the US Soccer. From just the announcement that happened this morning a lot of the saints supporters seem pissed. Detroit is going through the same thing between DC FC and the Michigan *ucks (I mean Bucks).

What does everyone think about this?

Carl Lindner III bringing new pro soccer team to Cincy

FC Cincinnati Will Compete In 2016 USL Season | WVXU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 PM

4,892 posts, read 13,926,742 times
It'll probably do about as well as pro hockey has in Cincinnati, if not worse.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:18 PM

610 posts, read 803,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It'll probably do about as well as pro hockey has in Cincinnati, if not worse.
So pretty good, considering the Cyclones have averaged 4,000+ fans a game each season since 2010.

As far as this new soccer team, I hope it does well. Putting them at Nippert makes sense, should draw plenty of UC students. The Cincinnati Saints...ummm...I don't think too many people know about them. I think I saw an article where they draw about 400 fans. Personally, I hope Cincinnati FC does great and will try to make it to a game. I enjoy the World Cup every 2 years and had a blast at the Columbus Crew games I've been to.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,187,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
So pretty good, considering the Cyclones have averaged 4,000+ fans a game each season since 2010.

As far as this new soccer team, I hope it does well. Putting them at Nippert makes sense, should draw plenty of UC students. The Cincinnati Saints...ummm...I don't think too many people know about them. I think I saw an article where they draw about 400 fans. Personally, I hope Cincinnati FC does great and will try to make it to a game. I enjoy the World Cup every 2 years and had a blast at the Columbus Crew games I've been to.
This is the first I ever heard of either soccer team. Never heard of the Cincinnati Saints nor knew that there will be a new soccer team called FC Cincinnati. They will definitely have to advertise on TV and radio just to let people know of their existence if they want people to show up.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:11 PM

Because Cincy Saints are a low division team they don't have the marketability of the new FC team. I think with having the team run by the Bengal director of Sales he will get the word out. Also the new stadium will help alot. There's a press conference tomorrow at 11am.

Detroit City FC pulls in 3000-4000 teams per game, they are in the same league as the Saints.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM

6,362 posts, read 11,166,883 times
My Grandparents were from Sweden and when they came over here to the USA they still enjoyed Soccer. Nobody else in our family ever bothered to follow the sport including myself. No interest in it. Played it in grade school and Jr. High because I had to during Gym class. Have always preferred Hockey, Football and Baseball. Some interest in Basketball but not to the extent of the other sports mentioned. I can't say that a new soccer team in Cincy interests me but I hope they succeed and draw well.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,852,563 times
If it's not MLS and have $50 tickets. It will not fly for long.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:33 AM

610 posts, read 803,750 times
Those prices to seem a bit high. Hopefully they'll have cheaper options. But there are more soccer fans in Cincinnati than people probably realize. I'd love for it to be a successful as it is in Louisville. They draw 6,000 fans a game. Plus, think about packed fountain square was for both men's and women's world cup games. Plenty of soccer bars in town that open at 6am for premier league games (Rhinehaus, Mad Tree Brewing, Haps, Molly Malones).

Last edited by cincydave8; 08-12-2015 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-12-2015, 06:13 AM

Yeah I think those ticket prices might be for season ticket packages. MLS season tickets are around $300-$1000. And normal USL tickets are $5-$15. So I'm thinking it's season tickets $50 (if your a UofC student) and up.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:27 AM

236 posts, read 321,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmdavila View Post
Yeah I think those ticket prices might be for season ticket packages. MLS season tickets are around $300-$1000. And normal USL tickets are $5-$15. So I'm thinking it's season tickets $50 (if your a UofC student) and up.
Yeah, it certainly appears the $50 is for season tickets (which would make perfect sense). I would have loved to have had this team around when I lived in Cincinnati.

To the OP, I don't think this is a like for like with Detroit FC. The Saints have very little following (much respect to the owners though who seem to do things the right way). For Detroit FC to build up such a fan base and then lose it to an owner with nothing more than money would be a shame. I feel bad for the Saints as well, but despite their best efforts they weren't cultivating a situation that could lead to having a professional team (from an outsiders perspective at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati