Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 AM

124 posts, read 138,253 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many posts on this thread demonstrate how out of touch people are with the direction of sports and popularity of soccer in this country.

FC Cincinnati continues to break attendance records after their opening home game. The Pittsburgh Riverhounds game at Nippert had 23,000 people.
FC Cincinnati breaks USL attendance record... again - Story

I have been a school teacher for 14 years in Tennessee and Ohio. I can speak first hand for how soccer has grown over the years amoung young people. Just 10 years ago my 12-13 old students played soccer but didn't have a means to follow it or become invested in a favorite team or player. Around this age kids started transitioning to other sports with more recognition or possibly because of pressure from fathers to play a "real sport". This is the old model of soccer in this country.

That has all changed. Every Premier League game is broadcasted on NBC Sports with professional pre/post game analysis and commentary. NBC spent 1 billion dollars to get these rights through 2022. Kids now have a favorite team, plaster their rooms with Leo Messi or Christiani Ronaldo and are no longer transitioning out of playing soccer as they get older. I see more kids walking in the halls wearing FC Barcelona shirts than any team from football, baseball, NBA or hockey. The most popular screen saver on my students' classroom laptops is FC Cincinnati.

FC Cincinnati may be a novelty right now but I think it will grow some more. FC Cincinati is like AAA baseball but people are starved for local teams in soccer so they love it. What isn't a novelty is soccer's popularity growth. These kids will grow up and pass this along to their children. You can see this first hand with the 20-35 year age group. Head down to Rhinehaus downtown on a Saturday morning. I went their to watch Spurs vs Arsenal. I couldn't fit in the door! It was shoulder to shoulder.

I like my baseball and football but definitely find Premier League Soccer more exciting. People in the USA are starved for local teams they can support. FC Cincinnati provides that. The only thing lacking is a Major League Soccer League that can compete with other leagues around the world. As a comparison, MLS soccer is like Japanese league baseball compared to MLB. The best teams play in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Have always preferred Hockey, Football and Baseball. Some interest in Basketball but not to the extent of the other sports mentioned. I can't say that a new soccer team in Cincy interests me but I hope they succeed and draw well.
With the new information about head injuries that is coming to light, a lot fewer parents are letting their kids play football and hockey. I know that there is no chance that my son will be playing football despite a family history of D1 college success. I see football's popularity peaking in 5-10 years as the millenials raised to avoid football start filling into the 30-50 disposable income demographic.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:59 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^ Soccer is football.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
With the new information about head injuries that is coming to light, a lot fewer parents are letting their kids play football and hockey. I know that there is no chance that my son will be playing football despite a family history of D1 college success. I see football's popularity peaking in 5-10 years as the millenials raised to avoid football start filling into the 30-50 disposable income demographic.
I would argue that NFL has already peaked. The NFL know this and are now looking into other markets. The NFL just secured a deal with Premier League soccer team, Tottenham Hotspur in London. Tottenham will get a new stadium partly funded by the NFL. In turn the NFL will play games in London and may even get an expansion team there. The soccer pitch will be retractable so that NFL games will play on their own field.

On the flip side, soccer leagues see the USA as a huge untapped market. Top teams from around the world frequently book preseason games in the US. Real Madrid, biggest and wealthiest sports team on the planet will be playing in Columbus Ohio this summer.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 AM

236 posts, read 319,207 times
I don't like using the minor league baseball analogy for teams like FCC. Unlike a AAA team FC Cinci is independently owned and has a chance to compete against all teams in the US (including MLS teams) for the US Open Cup. They may play in a lesser league but I think a better comparison is a strong "midmajor" basketball team like Xavier was in past years. Not as big financially as the big teams in the country, plays in a smaller conference, but still gets to face off against anyone if they win enough.

Theoretically, FCC could qualify for the Club World Cup, which pits the best teams from Europe, Asia, Africa, N America, and S America against each other.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
I don't like using the minor league baseball analogy for teams like FCC. Unlike a AAA team FC Cinci is independently owned and has a chance to compete against all teams in the US (including MLS teams) for the US Open Cup. They may play in a lesser league but I think a better comparison is a strong "midmajor" basketball team like Xavier was in past years. Not as big financially as the big teams in the country, plays in a smaller conference, but still gets to face off against anyone if they win enough.

Theoretically, FCC could qualify for the Club World Cup, which pits the best teams from Europe, Asia, Africa, N America, and S America against each other.
Now, only if our soccer leagues used the relegation and promotion model as in Europe. FC Cincinnati could play in the MLS based on merit (promotion).

Old 07-17-2016, 05:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times
35,000 people at the International friendly soccer match between English Premier league team Crystal Palace FC and Cincinnati FC yesterday evening.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^
"...the largest crowd to witness a soccer match in the history of Ohio, according to FC Cincinnati."

Record crowd sees FC Cincy fall to Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace thanks FC fans for

Old 07-17-2016, 06:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^
"...the largest crowd to witness a soccer match in the history of Ohio, according to FC Cincinnati."

Record crowd sees FC Cincy fall to Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace thanks FC fans for
I had a great time at the game, even with a 7 month old strapped to my chest. I really hope that FC Cincinnati can stay at Nippert long term. I know that conflicts are going to arise, especially if UC joins the Big 12 or another big conference, but it is a great venue. I have been to Premier league and FA cup games in England, and the atmosphere and enthusiasm here is similar in intensity, although it has its differences. I just wish that my son was old enough to tailgate for more than an hour without crying.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
The game was absolutely a great time this Saturday. More people were in Nippert than any MLS game this weekend. I've been to 4 games so far this year. My wife and I love it. We always stand in The Bailey and just have a rowdy good time. The success of FCC is very exciting.

BTW some early posters from this thread need to eat crow...or come out to a match and see what's happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati