Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM

53 posts, read 116,652 times

Advertisements

I am debating what will be my next car.

17 years ago when I first landed a job, I was thinking to buy a Jeep Wrangler. Finally settled for 5 speed Prelude. I really enjoyed my Prelude but had to sell when I had to fit in kids' car seats.

Now I need to replace my current car. I wont hesitate to buy another Prelude if Honda still carry it.

I am again consider a Jeep. But I live in the middle of Texas (Austin), and I am not sure about the chance of being off road.

As for SLK, I am a middle aged engineer, that might be too flashy for me?

Cannot go with Miata, still need 4 seats. And Mustang might be too young for me.

Any suggestion?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
The SLK only has two seats. Are you thinking of the CLK?

I'd get the Wrangler if that is really what you want. Who cares about off-road? 90% of Wranglers aren't used off-road. It is still a great vehicle to cruise around town with the top off and the kids in the back. Of course, with summers in Austin you may have the top on with the A/C cranked more often than not.

And Mustangs are for all ages. But, if you're worried about demographics, go between the Mustang and Mercedes with a BMW convertible.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
You are all over the place.

You mention a Jeep, 2 seater Benz, mustang, and miata all in the same post.

Do you still need to haul kids? If so then you obviously need a back seat. No kids over the age of 12 would like riding in the back seat for an extended period. I have had one.

Also, I have had two wranglers, both a two door and four door. What are you looking for? What's your price range?

Lastly, I live in Texas, so there's plenty of tips to be given regarding Jeeps in Texas and the heat.

Answer those questions and we can be of more help. If the mercedes CLK is in your price range, I'd do that if you can get a good warranty. Would probably stay away from Mercedes otherwise. Don't count out the Toyota FJ Cruiser either. I like that the Jeeps have a removable top but the FJ will be a bit more quiet and practical.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Don't count out the Toyota FJ Cruiser either. I like that the Jeeps have a removable top but the FJ will be a bit more quiet and practical.

The new FJ only has a removable top if you use a saw. After that its permanent.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Well, since you need to go off road and need > 2 seats, you just decided on the Jeep.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM

142 posts, read 677,160 times
What's your price range? New or used? Coupe or sedan?

Also, MB doesn't make CLKs anymore, they've been discontinued since '09 (I think). Did you mean an E- or C- class? A new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4- seater) is a very nice vehicle and definitely more affordable than a new-ish E or C class.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you need the space for children, I am not going to recommend a Jeep as I would never put a child in a Wrangler. The Mercedes is a good bet, but if you want a less flashy vehicle, the Volvo C70 is an excellent consideration as well. A 3-series is also a good choice, albeit small for needing four seats, so I might be inclined to look at the Volvo over the Merc because you want a convertible that does not have brand associations with it as Mercedes and BMW tend to do more than a Volvo. And, performance is not bad in the Volvo, either, so it might be worth adding to your shopping list. Personally, I buy what I like and don't worry about perceptions, since you need to buy the car that gives you enjoyment, but the Jeeps are still lacking in the safety department when considering it as a primary family vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: phone typo

Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
you need to evaluate what you actually want... an off-roader with some top off capability or a sporty roadster with absolutely no chance of going off road?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 PM

53 posts, read 116,652 times
Thanks y'all for the suggestion.

I thought SLK is 4 seats, but actually not. E-class convertible might be beyond my price range.

I am looking for cars below $45K, got to be 4 seats, and 2 doors are OK.

This is the commute car, 20 miles every day. Occasionally, I need to give kids a ride.

I should say I might not have chance to go off road. Hence my reluctance for a Jeep.

And Volvo sounds a good choice. I will look into it.

Last edited by Hill Country; 06-21-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
My recommendation, HC . . . THE JEEP.

Not certain about the newer Jeep Wranglers but I have an '86 CJ-7 and it is one super-tough vehicle.

Also, they are fun to drive plus a great value if you plan to keep them for awhile. Not only do Jeeps have a "Cult Following" but they hold their value Big Time with just a little TLC. Mine is worth at least 3 times the original sticker price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram