Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times

Advertisements

Austin, Texas...........Jeep....no way! It is like 100 degrees all summer long. Jeeps stink (wet, rubber parts) so you will hate getting in it if it has been closed up on a hot day. They also ride terrible so if you are commuting in it you will really hate it.

I think Jeeps are great, if I had an empty bay in the garage I would have a Jeep in there with the top off, ready to go on nice days but sitting in the garage on rainy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,115,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post

I am looking for cars below $45K, got to be 4 seats, and 2 doors are OK.

This is the commute car, 20 miles every day. Occasionally, I need to give kids a ride.

I should say I might not have chance to go off road. Hence my reluctance for a Jeep.
BMW 3-series (its the 4 now) convertible
Mustang convertible
MB is going to come back out with a CLK in 2015 if you can wait, or you can buy used.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM

114 posts, read 360,246 times
A friend recently bought a G37 hardtop convertible at a big discount, which would get it below your max.

Or, if you want a convertible crossover, there's the Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet. They've sold very poorly, so incentives and discounts should be large.

Or you could do what my wife's cousin did, and buy both an SLK and a Wrangler

Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
As for SLK, I am a middle aged engineer, that might be too flashy for me?

Cannot go with Miata, still need 4 seats. And Mustang might be too young for me.

I'm an Engineer, and i've come to find the other engineers in my company drive boring/practical cars. Chevy Volt's and hybrids seems to be popular. Nobody really has anything flashy.

I have a '12 MB C300 and a Ford Mustang.

Do i feel it's too flashy? Yes to be honest. I love driving the car, but sometimes hate the attention it gets.

My Mustang is a V8 project car that I love to AutoX and drag race in amatuer events.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,157,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
A friend recently bought a G37 hardtop convertible at a big discount, which would get it below your max.

Or, if you want a convertible crossover, there's the Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet. They've sold very poorly, so incentives and discounts should be large.
Two good suggestions here, though I still think the CrossCabriolet is hideous. I owned a G35 for 7 years so I have considered a G37 convertible in the past. I'm not sure that I'd want a convertible here in Austin, however. It would probably be nice any other time than summer I guess.

I've had C70s as loaners, I wasn't particularly impressed with the performance. It may be better with the Polestar upgrade. What I really don't like about it is the way the drivers side armrest cuts into my leg.

You say you would buy another Prelude if you could, have you considered the new Accord coupe? I'm not a huge Honda fan but it looks pretty nice and I bet that it would be more roomy than your Prelude was. I think you can get a 6-speed manual with the V6 if you are interested in rowing your own gears.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 PM

53 posts, read 116,878 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just got Lexus IS250 convertible. I liked the hardtop and the back seats are not too bad for my kids.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,183,542 times
The least important aspect of car ownership for me is "what will meet with the approval of others". Unless the others are making the payments, I could care less about if it somehow on the appropriate list.
If I lived in Texas, I could see having a Wrangler-the problem is that when it gets hot you'll want the top on so you can run the A/C and it's not like a classic convertible. It's a bit of work to swap that top on and off.

If you have the means (and it sounds like you may) maybe you can get yourself a "pet" car. One that you don't have to share with kids or dogs or groceries, something just for you as a reward. And that would be a great reason to go for that SLK.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,610,354 times
Jeeps aren't that great for a family. They still have solid axles and while coil suspensions have softened the ride there are better choices for a family vehicle. I don't care for MB because they are expensive to insure maintain and repair out of warranty.
If my choice was between the MB or the jeep I guess I would reluctantly take the Jeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram