Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in both types of this jeep. I'm looking for experiences with the jeep wranglers and jeep vehicles, in general. Pros and cons. I have a ford ranger right now and I want something with a little more room for passengers.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
the wrangler unlimted is pretty much just a streched out 4 -door wrangler how much more room do you need and will you be using the jeep to it's full off-road potential?

if not then maybe a jeep grand cherokee or jeep commander may be a better choice for a daily on road driver with some off-road capability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaASZVhvZs
the jeep wranagler is a serious off-road truck that gives away on road comfort for better off-road capabilities.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
There are people on jeepforum.com that say the 3.8L 202hp engine just isn't enough for the heavier Unlimited. With a 0-60 time in almost 10 seconds, it sure seems like it.

I would personally wait for the 2012 model, as it will surely get the new 3.7 Pentastar with around 280HP. The engine will be tested in the Grand Cherokee/Durango/Charger, so hopefully any bugs will be fixed. Plus, a 6 speed automatic should replace the old 4 speed auto if you go that route. The interior is improved for 2011 though, looks pretty good.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Here is the thread I was reading a couple days ago:
2 Door VS. 4 door....yet, another thread - JeepForum.com

Looks like most prefer the 2dr on the trails and 4dr for daily driving (better ride). Worth reading what actual owners are saying.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I have t say the new interior look awsome not the sprtan interiors I remember from the old YJ's from the 80's and 90's.

I always wanted an old YJ sahara or TJ rubicon with a 4.0 I-6 and 5-speed manual for a 3rd car for weekend fun and to take up into the bush to do some fun wheeling cause my F250 is just way to massive to get therough the tiny trails to some really cool 4x4 spots.

this is what I remember for jeep YJ interiors

I would love to pick up one of these for a decent price

Last edited by GTOlover; 11-10-2010 at 11:33 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
PokerMonkee hit the nail on the head. I was shopping around for a Jeep like vehicle in 2008. It came down to the FJ cruiser lifted with 35 inch tires and a Jeep Unlimited with 33 inch tires. The Jeep Unlimited is very underpowered. The FJ has around 270+ HP if I remember correctly and the Jeep Unlimited barely breaks 200+?????? The FJ rode much better and for the most part is just as capable off road from the factory. I love my FJ and wouldn't trade it for anything. I will admit the Jeep Rubicon is one bad arse rig from the factory and is probably a bit better at offroading due to the solid axle front end. But you pay for that with on road comfort and ride. Toyota messed up and should have offered the FJ with a removable top option. But otherwise the FJ is a better rig in my opinion. More power, better ride, just as capable offroad if not more.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 AM

6,778 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I'd wait for the 2012 with the Pentastar engine.
I have a 2-door 2007 and while it's not as sluggish as a 4-door, I still think it feels underpowered, even with the manual transmission. Regardless, I love the vehicle and consider it the best one I've owned yet.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
PokerMonkee hit the nail on the head. I was shopping around for a Jeep like vehicle in 2008. It came down to the FJ cruiser lifted with 35 inch tires and a Jeep Unlimited with 33 inch tires. The Jeep Unlimited is very underpowered. The FJ has around 270+ HP if I remember correctly and the Jeep Unlimited barely breaks 200+?????? The FJ rode much better and for the most part is just as capable off road from the factory. I love my FJ and wouldn't trade it for anything. I will admit the Jeep Rubicon is one bad arse rig from the factory and is probably a bit better at offroading due to the solid axle front end. But you pay for that with on road comfort and ride. Toyota messed up and should have offered the FJ with a removable top option. But otherwise the FJ is a better rig in my opinion. More power, better ride, just as capable offroad if not more.
People in the market for a Wrangler dont care about ride quality, I assume. If they did, theyd go look at wannabe Jeeps like the FJ. The only things that I can think that the FJ is better than a Wrangler at is the following: cushier ride, quieter, more powerful, more interior space, and ummmm. I guess if you desire a sterile Toyota with some offroad capability and dont care how ugly the vehicle is, then the FJ is the perfect choice!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
wow, that '11 interior looks fantastic. Good job jeep.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I miss my 1979 CJ7. If I was looking at jeeps again I would get a older one.
Go out and get dirty, come home and hose the truck out inside and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram