Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not everyone shops just on performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If they're shopping for performance, they've been misled. See Chango for that.
You really thought that was a good rebuttal?

The point made was that not everyone shops just on performance. So what good did you do here?

I agree that this seems a little too personal. Did a Challenger turn you down when you asked it to prom or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
A lot of new car buyers are not magazine racing their cars. So a few tenths in 0-60 is not their prime concern. They shop IMO for a window of performance, and within that window they add a myriad of other factors and preferences which sway their decision.

Sure, if your buying a Challenger or anything else to primarily be a drag strip car, then such differences matter. If your buying it because you enjoy the look, the size, the ride and handling dynamics, and that fact that it is at the quicker end of the spectrum, whether or not it will beat a Mustang GT at the drag strip is irrelevant.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
A lot of new car buyers are not magazine racing their cars. So a few tenths in 0-60 is not their prime concern. They shop IMO for a window of performance, and within that window they add a myriad of other factors and preferences which sway their decision.

Sure, if your buying a Challenger or anything else to primarily be a drag strip car, then such differences matter. If your buying it because you enjoy the look, the size, the ride and handling dynamics, and that fact that it is at the quicker end of the spectrum, whether or not it will beat a Mustang GT at the drag strip is irrelevant.
Yup. that is me.

I do not need HP, or specifications that I am never ever going to use just to I can say to someone "My car has better numbers than yours" I want a car with enough acceleration to be fun to drive. It does not have to be the most fun possible, just fun. Then I want a car that is comfortable, classy, stylish, practical for my daily needs (or fun to drive in a parade or dream cruise or something). How often am I going to take it out on a track? Never, not once. How often am I going to drive over 110 mph in my car? Never probably. How often am I going take on a driver at a stop light who is exactly equal to me in every type of skill, ability, physical condition, weight, reaction time, and who is in a lane with the exact same conditions that i am such that a tenth or five of difference in 0-60 time will make a difference? Almost definitely never. Will I ever be in a situation where I need an extra tenth of a second of acceleration to avoid a collision? If I am, I will probably not avoid the collision.

A mustang may be faster than a Challenger but:

1. It is far too common.
2. It is pretty bland looking.
3. It is less comfortable.
4. The back seats and trunk are essentially useless.
So for me, the Challenger is fast enough. I do not need to toast every mustang or WRX out there. In many cases if I want to toast a mustang, I will accomplish it because I am driving a manual and am more experienced than the mustang kids. I will toast the WRX because it is all weighted down with silly plastic attachments intended to make it look faster (they never seem to realize the only exterior attachment that makes a car actually go faster is flames painted on the sides) and because the 16-19 year old driver has no idea how to drive his car.

Anyway, if you do not lose sometimes, it is boring. Not a challenge at all.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
*sigh* The R/T is a 5 second car...and the SRT will do it in 4. Where do you guys get this idea that the Challenger is some lazy, tipsy road-boat that only looks the part?

Beyond that, it's really an "apples to oranges" comparison in the end. Cars like the Challenger aren't even competing with the imports; it's two different experiences driving a huge RWD v8 vs a small 4 banger rice-rocket.

And here in UT a new STI would cost about $10K more than I paid for the R/T, BTW.
The new RTs either got lighter or a bit more power because they used to be a mid 5 car. I also like how you used the more expensive STi as an example when I already compared the performance/price of just a newer WRX. Why would you even use the STi as an example when the WRX by itself is a better performer than the RT?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yup. that is me.

I do not need HP, or specifications that I am never ever going to use just to I can say to someone "My car has better numbers than yours" I want a car with enough acceleration to be fun to drive. It does not have to be the most fun possible, just fun. Then I want a car that is comfortable, classy, stylish, practical for my daily needs (or fun to drive in a parade or dream cruise or something). How often am I going to take it out on a track? Never, not once. How often am I going to drive over 110 mph in my car? Never probably. How often am I going take on a driver at a stop light who is exactly equal to me in every type of skill, ability, physical condition, weight, reaction time, and who is in a lane with the exact same conditions that i am such that a tenth or five of difference in 0-60 time will make a difference? Almost definitely never. Will I ever be in a situation where I need an extra tenth of a second of acceleration to avoid a collision? If I am, I will probably not avoid the collision.

A mustang may be faster than a Challenger but:

1. It is far too common.
2. It is pretty bland looking.
3. It is less comfortable.
4. The back seats and trunk are essentially useless.
So for me, the Challenger is fast enough. I do not need to toast every mustang or WRX out there. In many cases if I want to toast a mustang, I will accomplish it because I am driving a manual and am more experienced than the mustang kids. I will toast the WRX because it is all weighted down with silly plastic attachments intended to make it look faster (they never seem to realize the only exterior attachment that makes a car actually go faster is flames painted on the sides) and because the 16-19 year old driver has no idea how to drive his car.

Anyway, if you do not lose sometimes, it is boring. Not a challenge at all.
You can say you would smoke a WRX, but anyone that has compared the 2 knows that's not true. Also what plasticky attachments are you referring to on the WRX?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Coworker has a Challenger SRT-8. I get to drive it once in a while. I'm a Mustang/Corvette guy and get to drive them frequently as well as own a Mustang.

Impressions??

It's a boat with huge blind spots. I cant even see the front of the hood and i'm 6'1". It feels like a big car. Handles ok, acceleration from a roll is awesome. From a dead stop, you can feel the weight. Interior is ok. Exterior styling is awesome. The Brembo brakes are cool

Mechanically? He has a lot of issues with it. Still under warranty and dealer can't even fix them. Every 1-2 months he gets a CEL for a lean code. Dealer has replaced O2's and reflashed the ECU and still gets it. He's so sick of bringing it in that I just use my OBD-2 reader to clear it for him now. The trans sticks in gear after parking. It's so bad that he now parks it in neutral. Known issue, brought it to two different dealers and they recommend "not parking it in gear". The issue is a throw-out bearing and he can't get a dealer to actually fix it. Original tires were done at 18K miles. He's not a hot-rodder..this was normal wear on all 4 tires

Other than that..cool car. I wouldn't own one, but I like them

Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The trans sticks in gear after parking. It's so bad that he now parks it in neutral. Known issue, brought it to two different dealers and they recommend "not parking it in gear". The issue is a throw-out bearing and he can't get a dealer to actually fix it.
It's actually the wrong type of grease used on the input shaft. He really needs to get it taken care of while it's under warranty, have him take it back and refer the dealership to star center case K38556860.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
You can say you would smoke a WRX, but anyone that has compared the 2 knows that's not true. Also what plasticky attachments are you referring to on the WRX?
Heck I can smoke WRX's in an old Camaro Z28. The reason? WRX is a car for kids. Kids do not know how to drive them. They get excited and stall them, or turn them sideways, end up over a curb, start late. . .

Not to mention all that plasticy junk they stick on them gets in the way:

Actually most of what I see is worse that these, but they are the pictures I could find readily. Pretty typical, just less extreme than what a lot of these kids do.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-30-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Heck I can smoke WRX's in an old Camaro Z28. The reason? WRX is a car for kids. Kids do not know how to drive them. They get excited and stall them, or turn them sideways, end up over a curb, start late. . .

Not to mention all that plasticy junk they stick on them gets in the way:

Actually most of what I see is worse that these, but they are the pictures I could find readily. Pretty typical, just less extreme than what a lot of these kids do.
You might beat an inexperienced driver, but car for car, no. And you do realize that I can google search American Muscle and find a bunch of ricey stuff to right? You sound like an old fart that thinks that all imports and their owners do that to their cars when in reality, about .001% do it. Face it, most boosted 4 cylinders are better performance machines than your coveted muscle. Also I speak from experience. I used to own(and loved it) a 67 Camaro with a mildly built 327, estimated at about 310-320hp. Guess which is faster in a straight line between it and my WRX wagon?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I used to own(and loved it) a 67 Camaro with a mildly built 327, estimated at about 310-320hp. Guess which is faster in a straight line between it and my WRX wagon?
My guess would be the uglier of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram