Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times

Advertisements

I think there are better all around RWD cars. The Challenger really only excels in exterior styling and straight line performance, which is limited to the SRT version. Unless you get the SRT there is no compelling reason to get one because all lower Challenger models are a huge boatload of compromises compared to what else is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

The car is "honest"; it doesn't pretend to be anything besides what it really is; an unapologetic 21st century muscle car that begs you to drive it somewhere far away from everyone else for hours and hours.
Except a "muscle car" should be fast, and aside from the SRT trim the Challenger is not competitive in that test. The lower models are pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
If someone were to buy the Challenger on looks alone I couldn't fault them for it. If you don't have the money for something else and you really like the looks what difference does it make? Really, what else are you going to get for the same money that is going to knock anyone's socks off on performance?

And fast is always relative. If you never in your life plan on taking your car to the track and you don't race people in the streets as long as it feels fast to you it is. Your perception will be your reality.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:03 AM

551 posts, read 1,121,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It takes a little getting used to as far as the blind spots. But if you have your mirrors properly adjusted it really isn't that bad. You mentioned sound. If you are looking at the base V6 I'm not sure you are going to get what you are looking for. But once again you really need to check one out in person and make that determination yourself. The interior doesn't bother me at all.
Thanks

Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The Challenger is a huge car - hard for even experienced drivers to gauge its size in tight spots, and it is a heavy rwd car to boot. It is something to be aware of, but I'd go with a Mustang if I wanted a GT pony car like the Challenger.

If you want to have a rwd first car, I'd recommend a Mazda Miata. What is your price range and what are your chief needs?
The Miata is cool but not what im looking for. My max price is $20,000. My needs are sporty, decent room for 4, good looks, and reliable. Im debating against AWD (Subaru's mostly) and getting a RWD car. I live in New York City. Some winters are jokes and some winters we get hit hard.

Thanks for mentioning the tight spots. I drove my dad's Rav4 and i had to get in between a parked car and some huge SUV to the right of a one way street. He asked "could i make it" and i chickened out and let him drive through it lol I didnt want to mess the car up.

I know you're probably wondering why I want good room for 4 people. Its because I would love to take my family out driving, Mother and sister need their space in the back while my dad is upfront. I wont be taking my friends out too often because they do nonsense honestly but we'll see how that goes. I have to be more responsible. So my main concern for space is the family.

I was thinking about getting an 09 Hyundai Genesis sedan,a Subaru Impreza/legacy, Volkswagen Passat/Jetta or better yet an Infinity G35 x which has the performance im looking for, the room and the awd. I just needed a reality check to get me passed wanting the Challenger for starters.

Last edited by AstonMartinNY; 05-27-2013 at 02:33 AM..

Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
It is neither of those things. It was cobbled together with parts from a 15 year old Mercedes E class (w210). Its over sized, over weight, has ridiculously small windows and a cartoonish profile.
Yes, thank you. I am a big mopar fan but this car sucks.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Well, at least the new-design Challengers would have to be better than the old ones whose styling they imitate. My brother had a 1970 Barracuda (made on the same assembly line as the Challenger, and 99% identical to the Challenger), and I can tell you that it had the absolute worst build quality that I ever saw.

In addition to crappy-quality paint and numerous flaws in the fit of interior parts and body parts, some of the accessories were--literally--hanging on by just a few screw threads. The rear window defogger (which was a blower, rather than heated wires embedded in the glass) was dangling from one of its attachment brackets. The other brackets had never been attached, and the screw or bolt on the one remaining bracket was only tightened about 1/3 of the way. The way that the blower assembly banged around as you drove should have been obvious to anyone at the factory or the dealership, but--that was the way that the car was delivered.

The control for the speaker fader, which was mounted underneath the dashboard, was also dangling when the car was delivered. The entire car had the look of something that was built in a rush by people who were at the end of their shift, didn't give a damn about doing their jobs properly, and just wanted to go home. At least, that was the way that it looked.

The handling was not very good for the size of the vehicle, and--the bonus--was when the A/C compressor clutch burned out after only about 1 year.

Those cars were...not good.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 AM

929 posts, read 2,722,588 times
Default Old Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, at least the new-design Challengers would have to be better than the old ones whose styling they imitate. My brother had a 1970 Barracuda (made on the same assembly line as the Challenger, and 99% identical to the Challenger), and I can tell you that it had the absolute worst build quality that I ever saw.

In addition to crappy-quality paint and numerous flaws in the fit of interior parts and body parts, some of the accessories were--literally--hanging on by just a few screw threads. The rear window defogger (which was a blower, rather than heated wires embedded in the glass) was dangling from one of its attachment brackets. The other brackets had never been attached, and the screw or bolt on the one remaining bracket was only tightened about 1/3 of the way. The way that the blower assembly banged around as you drove should have been obvious to anyone at the factory or the dealership, but--that was the way that the car was delivered.

The control for the speaker fader, which was mounted underneath the dashboard, was also dangling when the car was delivered. The entire car had the look of something that was built in a rush by people who were at the end of their shift, didn't give a damn about doing their jobs properly, and just wanted to go home. At least, that was the way that it looked.

The handling was not very good for the size of the vehicle, and--the bonus--was when the A/C compressor clutch burned out after only about 1 year.

Those cars were...not good.
All of he cars from that era are junk compared to today's cars IMO.
I love old cars, I have a 1970 Mercury Cougar, yes it is really a pile too.
But I love it, owned it since 1983.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Yes, thank you. I am a big mopar fan but this car sucks.
Well dude what do you expect? Were old muscle cars ever luxurious? I dont get it. What's the big deal with interior these days... its like people care for that more than whats under the hood.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Of all the "retro" cars being put out by the Big Three, the Challenger is the one that does it for me. It looks a lot like the Challengers of the 70's, unlike the Charger which was horrible IMO. The new Camaros look like something from the movie "Cars", and the new Mustangs are ok, but not as clean as say the Mach 1 from the mid 2000's.

If this is your first car, you are probably young, so make sure you can afford or even get insurance on a muscle car. My Son has a Z06 Vette and he pays a ton of insurance on it.

Don

Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Of all the "retro" cars being put out by the Big Three, the Challenger is the one that does it for me. It looks a lot like the Challengers of the 70's, unlike the Charger which was horrible IMO. The new Camaros look like something from the movie "Cars", and the new Mustangs are ok, but not as clean as say the Mach 1 from the mid 2000's.

If this is your first car, you are probably young, so make sure you can afford or even get insurance on a muscle car. My Son has a Z06 Vette and he pays a ton of insurance on it.

Don
Yeah I agree. The Challenger looks very similar to the old one. Nice that you son has a Vette. But I've come to a realization that I dont need the Challenger. I will go with the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta, something along those lines.

I really want the Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback but its out of budget. I really love that car but hopefully things change where I could get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram