Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,219,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Point 1.
Have you ever polled atheists on God? I have and 90% of them would rather burn in hell than hang out with God.value)

Do you really thing your average atheist is one who ever really understood the Love of God and decided to burn in hell for eternity instead? *Honestly? No, they don't even believe.

I am assuming most of them have rejected the god of the Crusades and such. Or maybe they can't believe that a God who loves the world would leave it in such darkness. Who knows?

But, surely you know that much of the venom that Jesus used was directed at the religious?

I would have a hard time believing that someone would refuse to be enveloped in everlasting love if they met something like that.

Below are a couple of snippets from:
L. Ray Smith - You Fools! You
Hypocrites! You Snakes!

"Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the LATTER TIMES some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking LIES IN HYPOCRISY; having their conscience seared with a hot iron" (I Tim. 4:1).

"This, know also, that IN THE LAST DAYS, perilous times shall come. For men
shall be lovers of their own selves, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent [without self-control], fierce [brutal], despisers of those
that are good, traitors, heady [reckless], high-minded [haughty], lovers of pleasures more than [rather than] lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away… EVER learning, and NEVER able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (II Tim. 3:1-7).

It's is not the atheistic heathen world which has "departed from the faith," who "blaspheme God," who have a "form of godliness," or who have "turned away from such." Oh no. It is the HOUSE OF GOD
that has done these things and continues to do them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,995,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
do you really thing your average atheist is one who ever really understood the love of god and decided to burn in hell for eternity instead? *honestly? No, they don't even believe.

I am assuming most of them have rejected the god of the crusades and such. Or maybe they can't believe that a god who loves the world would leave it in such darkness. Who knows?

But, surely you know that much of the venom that jesus used was directed at the religious?

I would have a hard time believing that someone would refuse to be enveloped in everlasting love if they met something like that.

Below are a couple of snippets from:
l. Ray smith - you fools! You
hypocrites! You snakes!

"now the spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron" (i tim. 4:1).

"this, know also, that in the last days, perilous times shall come. For men
shall be lovers of their own selves, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent [without self-control], fierce [brutal], despisers of those
that are good, traitors, heady [reckless], high-minded [haughty], lovers of pleasures more than [rather than] lovers of god; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: From such turn away… ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (ii tim. 3:1-7).

it's is not the atheistic heathen world which has "departed from the faith," who "blaspheme god," who have a "form of godliness," or who have "turned away from such." oh no. It is the house of god that has done these things and continues to do them.
yes!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 AM

5,926 posts, read 6,978,584 times
Quote:
I can see that you do not understand that when we chose to make Jesus our Lord and Savior we have the
guarantee of being in heaven.

You do not "see" anything. Your point doesn't explain the problem with the parable of the wedding because it leaves out the part your point cannot answer for.

You were invited to the wedding. You accepted and went to the wedding.

You claim this gaurantees you get to stay at the wedding. But as we see, someone was invited. someone accepted and went and was thrown out.

You have not demonstrated how you intend to keep from getting thrown out. And you never will. If you believe getting thrown out of the wedding means your damned forever, then you cannot demonstrate that will not be you.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There is a good reason it seems contrary to what you read in the Bible, because it is!!!! It's a man made religion that is unbiblical. It's a lie straight from satan. The Bible does not teach all will be saved, Universalism is a dangerous belief, don't be fooled by it.

Dangerous? You are in more danger of being thrown out of the wedding and cannot demonstrate you will not. You can only make the claim "uh uh, it won't be me"

And the king can say, "get out" and then it will be over forever for you.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,919,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I know you love to argue Finn but I'm not here to argue with you....I was trying to answer the OP's question. Scriptures are not "talking points".....the scriptures speak for themselves and I don't have to do anything except quote them.
If you quote them out of context like you did, they become talking points.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you quote them out of context like you did, they become talking points.
I didn't quote anything out of context...the scriptures speak for themselves and they stand alone.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I see that you think we don't need to desire Jesus as our personal Lord and savior. That works for me. UR is not biblical. Everyone gets eternal life? that is not what the Bible says. Or at the very least we get eternal life, but is a question of where you spend it

Matt 7:13-14

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

End of discussion.

Believe what you want, but it won't change what God has said.
Amen.

See also Luke 13:22-27

Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

He said to them, 24"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'

"But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

26"Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'
27"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I have no idea why you would feel sorry for anyone who gets to be with God. Besides, atheists don't believe God exists, so how can they hate Him? So, you wouldn't feel sorry for them is they burn in fire forever with no chance for escape?

Below are other verses you should consider. Isn't it interesting that churches never bother to teach that Jesus will baptize with fire? It's because most people don't understand it, because they fail to realize that these scriptures referring to fire are symbolic and not literal.

Matthew 3:11
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire

Mark 9:49
For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
More verses quoted completely out of context.

You have a belief, and you are scambling to cherry pick Bible verses out of context in order to make it appear the Bible supports your POV. But anyone who reads the entire chapter can see that the verses you quote often mean the OPPOSITE of what you claim, and the rest simply don't support your POV at all.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Amen.

See also Luke 13:22-27

Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

He said to them, 24"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'

"But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

26"Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'
27"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

The person that was thrown out of the wedding, did just what you often preach. "Accept Christ, it is your choice"

Great, but one did accept and made the choice to come. He was thrown out.

You want to argue your point with me, to say that what I believe is wrong, do you at least want to plant a seed in me that blossoms later?

Quit stalling and show me how it will not be you that gets thrown out of the wedding. I have total assurance, that my judgment will be for my own good. That if I get thrown out of the wedding it is because God says I have more work to do.

You have accepted Christ and made the choice to enter right? But you have not demonstrated total assurance.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
In the parable of the wedding, the one cast into outer darkness was the one who showed up without the proper garment on. I think the wedding garment without spot is that of those whose hearts have been made pure by knowing God and walking in love. It just may be that the improper garment also has to do with a church who SAYS the name of Jesus in vain, not having love for those who are struggling at the gate to enter the Kingdom, but doing all they can to discourage those who are barely entering. Jesus said that prostitutes and thieves would enter the Kingdom BEFORE the Pharisees. Nevertheless, even the Pharisees will enter in eventually. The devil is such a sly one!

Heartsong

See my earlier posts. I am not going to re-post what has already been said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity