Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 PM

118 posts, read 177,356 times

Advertisements

Hi sciotamicks,

Do you see Gog/Magog in Revelation and Ezekiel as the same event? I kinda get the idea that you don't but I could be wrong.

I see Ezekiel war and Gog/Magog as different events.

Quote:
The battle of Armageddon / battle of Gog & Magog in Ezekiel is the final judgment upon apostate Israel and the triumph of Jesus Christ & his Church. None other. Many preterist fail in this indentification when applying it to the Romans. Revelation is covenantal, and only a fraction of it has to do with the Romans, and most of it has to do with Old Covenant Israel.
I do agree that Revelation is Covenantal and the Gog/Magog of Revelation can be applied to spiritual war against Christianity through the armies of satan. It does not necessarily need to apply to the Roman Armies. This is a war against satan and his defeat is what is important here.

Quote:
When compared to the events of Ezekiel 38-39, the fate of the Roman armies does not parallel Ezekiel’s prophecies regarding Gog and Magog. In both the book of Revelation and Ezekiel, the armies of Gog and Magog are destroyed and Magog is burned with fire. To put it simply, this does not happen to the Roman Armies that attacked Israel in 67-70 AD.
True, but I am curious to know if you see the Gog/Magog of Ezekiel as being fulfilled in Revelation or in a different event? I believe Gog/Magog in Ezekiel's war as being fulfilled in the war of Esther between the Jews and Haman but we can discuss this on a later thread if you wish.

Quote:
Rememeber, Israel is Mystery Babylon, the Beast from the Earth, and the Little Horn, all identified with the Ten Horned, Seven Headed Beast.
Revelation is covenantal (MAIN picture is the destroying of old Jerusalem and creating the NEW one) but the earthy elements WERE ALWAYS important, see the role of Assyria, Babylon, Medes, Egypt in the Old Testament, and Rome in the New Testament.
Very true. God always used heathan armies in His judgement against nations. Medes/Persians against Babylon, Babylon against Israel etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM

118 posts, read 177,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I agree. It is interesting for futurists to be assured of their salvation when if the second coming has not occurred then they really are just hoping for salvation. It is pretty clear in scripture that the second coming begins the New Covenant.
You hit the nail on the head. The completion of Salvation at the second appearing I believe to be the beginning of the New Covenant. If we simply go the steps in Hebrews we can see that certain things still needed to be accomplished before the New Covenant took effect such as:

Hebrews 9

6When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still standing.

The way into the most holy place or God's presence was not made manifest while the first tabernacle was still standing. There was only one tabernacle in the 1st century.....the temple in Jerusalem. This was the last sign of the Old Covenant. With it's destruction was a sign to humanity that God no longer dwelled in houses of stone but within His people. This was the promise given to Israel. It is now open to all believers in Christ.

God Bless.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,439,311 times
Romulus,

The key to understanding this specific prophecy is not really Gog, but Magog.
Here is a study a friend of mine from Sovereign Grace Preterism let me be privvy to reading, and although it takes a little more focus than usual, you will begin to see the relevance as to the word Magog in question.

Is Gog a Code Word? (http://www.metrocast.net/~moza/atbash.htm - broken link)

However, I would like to be priviledge to your study on that specific war in Esther, as I have read some excerpts on it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity