Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 AM

33,305 posts, read 26,506,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I realize that - that's why I said that we should agree to disagree. He came back with a nasty remark - which I disregard.

Basically, anyone can say anything they want. This is a free country. They can say you have to go to church to be a Christian, they can say "you have to wear a purple shirt to be a Christian," just a lot of static if you know where you stand.

I've pretty much heard it all, at this point.

I hear if you wear jewelry, some folks say "you're headed for hell"......and I wear make-up and jeans, sometimes, to boot. Am I worried? No, because those are doctrines of men, that is religion.

Jesus Christ hated religion while He was on earth with us, and He hates it, now. He was revolutionary then, and He continues to confound all except those who seek Him.

So all the "you're going to hell," is falling on deaf ears here. I know in Whom I believe.
It wasn't meant as a nasty remark. As I said, everyone must live their own spiritual life as unto the Lord. Surely though, you realize that there is no equality in the eternal state after the Bema Seat judgment. And there's going to be a wide variance in the blessings, rewards, and decorations that believers will have in the eternal state. Some believers are going to have an abundance of what the Bible calls surpassing grace blessings Eph.2:7; 1 Cor. 9:24-27; 2 Tim.4:8; James 1:12; 1 Peter 1:3,4

DOCTRINE OF SURPASSING GRACE

But if you (anyone) disregards the principle of Eph. 4:11-16 and 1 Cor. 12:28, they are going to miss out on the blessings of eternity that God intends for them to have. There are going to be a few who are (princes) but the vast majority of believers are going to be (paupers) in eternity. Happy paupers to be sure, but paupers nevertheless. They will have their resurrection bodies and very little else to show for their spiritual life on earth.

It's a choice each believer must make for themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It wasn't meant as a nasty remark. As I said, everyone must live their own spiritual life as unto the Lord. Surely though, you realize that there is no equality in the eternal state after the Bema Seat judgment. And there's going to be a wide variance in the blessings, rewards, and decorations that believers will have in the eternal state. Some believers are going to have an abundance of what the Bible calls surpassing grace blessings Eph.2:7; 1 Cor. 9:24-27; 2 Tim.4:8; James 1:12; 1 Peter 1:3,4

DOCTRINE OF SURPASSING GRACE

But if you (anyone) disregards the principle of Eph. 4:11-16 and 1 Cor. 12:28, they are going to miss out on the blessings of eternity that God intends for them to have. There are going to be a few who are (princes) but the vast majority of believers are going to be (paupers) in eternity. Happy paupers to be sure, but paupers nevertheless. They will have their resurrection bodies and very little else to show for their spiritual life on earth.

It's a choice each believer must make for themselves
John 17:3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

What are we missing out on? Perhaps you should examine what your view of eternal life actually is....because Jesus says it is not what you think.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 AM

80 posts, read 157,534 times
Hello all,

As a Protestant Christian who does not belong to any real denomination, I would definitely say that you do not have to attend church to be considered a Christian. In fact, I doubt that God would really even want us to be attending the churches, Catholic or otherwise, in this day and age. They are simply too corrupt and too self serving; they could care less about the word of the Lord.
I read the Bible and pray by myself, and that is enough for me. I have a personal relationship with God that only I can create and manage; no pastor or congregation can or should get in between me and my God. I think people should simply read the Bible themselves and reach their own conclusions about God.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander M. View Post
Hello all,

As a Protestant Christian who does not belong to any real denomination, I would definitely say that you do not have to attend church to be considered a Christian. In fact, I doubt that God would really even want us to be attending the churches, Catholic or otherwise, in this day and age. They are simply too corrupt and too self serving; they could care less about the word of the Lord.
I read the Bible and pray by myself, and that is enough for me. I have a personal relationship with God that only I can create and manage; no pastor or congregation can or should get in between me and my God. I think people should simply read the Bible themselves and reach their own conclusions about God.
Finally......a voice of reason!!

Be Blessed!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM

80 posts, read 157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Finally......a voice of reason!!

Be Blessed!
Thank you!
God Bless You, too!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,091 times
I totally agree with you on this. I didn't say you have to go to church to be a Christian either.. but it is a shame to not be able to fellowship with other believers because of a few self-centered Spiritually dead churches. I am saying that if you seek you will find and there are churches or gatherings that are Spirit filled. Those places have been a blessing to me and a spirirtual well that I have drank from often. Those places have been encouraging and have helped me grow in my relationship towards Christ and His people. I think when we go to church to get (and some people need that) we will be disappointed at times because we are looking at people to be our Savior. We need to remember that Jesus is the only Savior and the Only faithful one. Jesus said in Luke that he intrusted himself to no man because He knew what was in man...

I pray that the churches would wake up and get real and that people would find forgiveness and Grace in Christ. And if there is a church in your area that is a great place to worship then you and others would find it. Sometimes you have to look in order to find... Have a nice weekend and May Peace fill your heart and mind. But regarding your comment... all you have to do to be saved is believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior and that He died for your sins. The thief on the cross never went to church and Jesus said he would be with him in paradise. Of course he really didn't have the chance to do anything but die and go to Heaven..

You are also correct when you say that Jesus hated religion and hypocrisy. He sees our heart and if you stand for Him and with Him than who can be against you? No one... because you have peace with yourself and God and God has overcome the world through Christ the Lord. Thanks for sharing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I realize that - that's why I said that we should agree to disagree. He came back with a nasty remark - which I disregard.

Basically, anyone can say anything they want. This is a free country. They can say you have to go to church to be a Christian, they can say "you have to wear a purple shirt to be a Christian," just a lot of static if you know where you stand.

I've pretty much heard it all, at this point.

I hear if you wear jewelry, some folks say "you're headed for hell"......and I wear make-up and jeans, sometimes, to boot. Am I worried? No, because those are doctrines of men, that is religion.

Jesus Christ hated religion while He was on earth with us, and He hates it, now. He was revolutionary then, and He continues to confound all except those who seek Him.

So all the "you're going to hell," is falling on deaf ears here. I know in Whom I believe.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:44 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,091 times
Be careful here. You are judging all churches and there are many that are Spirit filled and led. I think we tread on thin ice when we make sweeping generalizations about the body of Christ and we try to be God by speaking for Him. Nowhere does scripture say to NOT go to church...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander M. View Post
Hello all,

Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,906,096 times
I am going to hijack my own thread, but why do alot of churches seem to think that their message is the ONLY message that is right? Meaning, why do some churches feel that they will be the only denom that will go to Heaven?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,106,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Meaning, why do some churches feel that they will be the only denom that will go to Heaven?
One of the chief reasons I dropped attending the Church Of Christ was this way that had of looking down at other denominations...

If you dont feel at ease with the way a church looks at other sister christian churches?...then go find a different one.

Trust me, they all dont share that same flaw....

Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
no more than you have to attend class or study to be a student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity