Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I didn't know I would get so many replies lol!!!

I should have mentioned where I am coming from on all of this. I was raised Catholic. My dad is die-hard Catholic still. My mom was Mormon, but I never saw her attend church. I attended church (Catholic) until I was 16 and my teenage years of doing anything but going to church kicked in. I then met my ex-wife who was raised Church of Christ. We got married and we attended that denom for about 3 years before we divorced. I then attended a Baptist church for a brief time and have not been to a church since. I found the constant threats of, "you better attend church or you are going to hell" to be a turn-off. And I won't even get into the issues with the Catholic church. I also found the actions of more than a few in these churches to be appauling. For example, people who are nice and friendly to you in church then you see them out in public and they say nothing to you. And I really can't stand those churches who focus on money. "We need to build this" and "We have to raise X amount for this". And there are some who view you as more of a sinner if you don't attend church. I have 100% DISAGREE with that thought. Since not attending church, I have remarried and have a 2 year old son. We have a great family life, I pray numerous times daily, and don't think I sin any more now than before. Anyway, we are all sinners. I would like to think God listens to me even if I don't attend church. I am not against going back to church, but will my bad luck streak with churches continue? Am I nervous and scared? Sure. Do I have plans anytime soon to find a church? Not really. I believe that things work out for themselves.
KentuckyDad

Yes God hears and listens to you , don't doubt that . And you are right to say that things work out for themselves , and in quiteness and confidence you can trust Him.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I didn't say "You're all hypocrits!"...please do not put words into my mouth.
You misunderstood my point. What I meant was, everyone is a hypocrite to some extent. Haven't you ever said one thing & done another? Even the Apostle Paul struggled with this.

Romans 7

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I don't think so.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
I don't let negative comments bother me.......... it falls on deaf ears. The Lord knows my heart, and He knows what I do, hallejuah!

The Lord will use a willing heart.......

Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Really? Because when myself and my two teenagers do House Church with our Bibles, we read passages and discuss what we have read....we get a great deal out of it!
You get inspiration out of it. You will not grow to spiritual maturity on your own. Unless you have the gift of Pastor/teacher you simply don't have the ability to dig out and discern the doctrines of the word of God.

You will never know how much is in the Bible that you simply are not aware of without being under the teaching of a man with the God given gift of pastor/teacher, who has studied and trained for years in the original languages, and in the methods of isogogical, categorical and exegetical teaching of the word of God.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You get inspiration out of it. You will not grow to spiritual maturity on your own. Unless you have the gift of Pastor/teacher you simply don't have the ability to dig out and discern the doctrines of the word of God.

You will never know how much is in the Bible that you simply are not aware of without being under the teaching of a man with the God given gift of pastor/teacher, who has studied and trained for years in the original languages, and in the methods of isogogical, categorical and exegetical teaching of the word of God.

Well how do you account for the disciples being unlearned ignorant men ?.

What was it the rulers and elders of the people had noticed about these unlearned ignorant men ?

That they had beeen to the Jerusalem school of theology ?

No, they noted that they had been with Jesus . Acts chapter 4

Growth comes from being with Jesus John chapter 15

Christ in you the hope of Glory .

Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Well how do you account for the disciples being unlearned ignorant men ?.

What was it the rulers and elders of the people had noticed about these unlearned ignorant men ?

That they had beeen to the Jerusalem school of theology ?

No, they noted that they had been with Jesus . Acts chapter 4

Growth comes from being with Jesus John chapter 15

Christ in you the hope of Glory .
You are not an apostle

Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You are not an apostle
It's nothing to do with being an apostle , it's to do with who you have been with

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17 : 8/9

Last edited by pcamps; 10-23-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

(Ephesians 4:11–12)
11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up

(1 Corinthians 12:28)
28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

(Ephesians 4:11–12)
11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up

(1 Corinthians 12:28)
28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.

Thanks. As has been evidenced on this forum, people will just ignore and deny those parts of the Bible that they find inconvenient. As was shown in a recent Barna survey, people want to create their own belief system by picking and choosing from the Bible what feels good to them, and discarding the rest. What we see here on this forum is representative of the apostasy that exists in post-Christian America. One can not get though to a person if that person doesn't want to be gotten through to. But it is necessary to stand for the truth of God's word when it is distorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity