Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:55 PM

595 posts, read 761,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?
Besides what jimmiej wrote, which was right on the nail, is asking yourself why are you going? Is it about worship and thanking God for what he has done during the week and for his Son, Jesus?
Many times we can get focused on what others are doing or we do not go because we feel uncomfortable. Love takes time. It takes time to know one another. Just to be able to worship with other believers is a privilege. Nothing is more beautiful, than seeing and hearing God's children shine with the love of Jesus. If you do go, just make sure it is a Christ and Bible based church.
God will lead you to where he wants you to go. And if you go, be patient with God for he always has something wonderful planned for you there.
At times, I didn't agree with the pastor in scripture, but my eyes were focused on the One I went there for, Jesus. Plus the pastor is only a man and he can make mistakes, just like me.
God Bless you kentuckydad95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 PM

27 posts, read 102,662 times
Do you HAVE to attend Church to be a Christian? Absolutely not. It it a good idea to not attend a Church, no, but it's not a matter of life and death by any means. Don't get sucked into religion, that's not what being a follower of Christ is all about. It's not about do this, do that, and work your way into heaven. WE CAN'T GET INTO HEAVEN BY DOING GOOD THINGS! Why do you think Jesus had to die for us? Because we're not good enough, and never will be. We're all no better than Hitler. To be a Christian, you must- 1) Admit you're a sinner. 2) Repent. 3) Believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God, and CONFESS him as your Lord and Savior. Nothing about going to church in there. However, it is a good idea to find some kind of church, but going to church is something you should want to do, not something you feel like you have to do. Yes, it mite take time to find your church home. No, you won't go to Hell if you don't go to church. Don't let anybody tell you that. But it really is something you ought to do as a Christian. The Bible does tell us not to forsake getting together with other believers.

So my advise to you would be, if you have that relationship with Christ, talk to Him about this. Ask Him what He wants you to do. And if you can't find a good Church (yes, it's hard), find some other Christian friends who are looking for a church, and get together at least once a week. Have a bible study, have some coffee, and just hang out and fellowship. And spend some time worshiping Him with your fellow Christian friends. That's what Church is supposed to be all about anyway.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Boy...what a question and I love some of these answers. I have been a Christian for almost 30-years, have attended many different churches in several different states was raised a Lutheran and now I attend a non-denominal church. Here is my take on the question and this is just my opinion... Since I was raised Lutheran I totally understand how sometimes church can be a turn-off. I am not down grading the Lutheran church (some people like it) but I don't like the traditional setting.

Unfortunately people are sometimes the worst representations of Christ and Christianity and I believe that a lot of churches fall short in just "Loving People" the way Jesus says we need to love them. People go to church and they often get hurt and they never go back because the last place they expected to get hurt is in church.. Why is it the last place they expected to get hurt? Because they had expectations that Christians are more loving or have something more to offer (which should be the case) but unfortunately it just isn't a reality more often than not. So people's expectations get dashed to the ground and then they say to themselves "I will never step foot in a church again if these so called "Christians" are like that".

I only say this because I was one of those people who has been hurt and hurt badly.. I have had periods in my life where I have stayed away from church for a long time because of being hurt. I have also hurt myself when I have become isolated... Jesus does say to gather together.. because when we are following Him we need each other... We were not created to be alone in this world and when we are truly seeking to grow in Christ being with other like-minded believers can be the greatest experience.

So here is what I have done to overcome my own disappointment with church... I first of all don't go to church to get anything but I go to worship God. I love churches that are non-denominational, where they are unique or out of the box.. I don't like dressing up for church and I enjoy evening services so I look for those types of places. I visit lots of different churches and if I don't like them I don't go back.. But when I do find one that I like I try and plug myself into it by getting involved and giving to others.. The giving part is certainly where there is a blessing. I pray about where God wants me to be, where I can be myself and where His Spirit is functioning.

I have to admit that I have found more churches that I don't like than those that I enjoy but I get so much encouragement with great worship, loving people and bible studies, etc... I really don't think that we have to go to church but I think we need to meet with other believers, pray together and get plugged in somewhere. Even home bible studies are good or meeting at someone's home. If you can find a great place to meet with other believers it is truly a good thing.

What I would say from experience is.. please don't give up on the church because of a bad experience and don't isolate yourself from other Christians. There are great places to worship and loving Christians. It may take time to find where to go but I believe everyone can fit in somewhere... Go and worship God, ask Jesus to help you find a place and then reach out... There is always someone who needs a smile, a hug or encouragement.... People need you and your unique gifts and talents. There is only one you!!!

Last edited by Raelyn28; 10-23-2009 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
I have issues with several denom's, but was wondering if I really have to attend a church?
NO NO NO... God is not church.. God is available in the bathroom if that is where you talk to him....

My grandmother was confined to her apartment in her final years and some said that she could not have been "as christian" without going to church.. she was a devout Christian and read her bible and watched church on tv.. that was right for her.

I don't attend church because I have a hard time listening to some of the garbage given out and the hypocrisy... If I found a church that believed in the gospel and only the gospel, not the rest of the stuff taught in churches today I would go.. but alas.. it seems I would have to start my own.

Again.. God is not church. If it isn't going to increase your knowledge of God and increase your relationship with God.. then don't go.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
NO NO NO... God is not church.. God is available in the bathroom if that is where you talk to him....

My grandmother was confined to her apartment in her final years and some said that she could not have been "as christian" without going to church.. she was a devout Christian and read her bible and watched church on tv.. that was right for her.

I don't attend church because I have a hard time listening to some of the garbage given out and the hypocrisy... If I found a church that believed in the gospel and only the gospel, not the rest of the stuff taught in churches today I would go.. but alas.. it seems I would have to start my own.

Again.. God is not church. If it isn't going to increase your knowledge of God and increase your relationship with God.. then don't go.
I wanted to add that I met with a lady tonight who can't attend church, her family is 1000's of miles away, she lives off of SSI at 900 a month, barely has food, -400 in her bank account and is lonely.

Spend the time you would at church going out into the community and helping others. Join a group that gives out food to the needy. Visit the elderly, help them with things around the house.

That is a much better way to worship God and fellowship than standing in a great big huge expensive building with a bunch of people dressed up while talking about what car they bought last week after having listened to an hour of a teaching on things that are found by simply reading...

Just my opinion.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:07 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Well Kat has hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no nor read nor pray nor practice any of the principles of the religion, then you geta 2 for 1--
hypocrite and christian wanabee at the same time.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
Quote:
Good morning kentuckydad...

My dad is from Kentucky...Central City...Mulenburg County. All my kenfolk on his side live there, and we go up about every 2 or 3 years to visit...we have big 'ol family reunion's. When I get back home...I tawk jus lak they dooo...

I remember once, when I was about 7 years old, I was sitting in the back seat of the car next to my cousin Debbie...we were in Kentucky visiting them. She asked me, "Do yoo wanna rice?" I answered, "For dinner?" She replied, "No, rice...yoo know, run?"...LOL!! I'll never forget that...we still laugh about that today when we get together. I love Kentucky, it is a beautiful state...blue grass and all those beautiful horses...corn fields...tobacco fields...great memories.

Anyway, to answer your question...No, you do not have to attend a church to be a Christian...and as a matter of fact, the false teachings of false doctrine that are being taught today in modern Christianity buildings, by false teachers is something you would probably do well by staying as far away from as possible.

The Word of God has been so dilluted and polluted, destroyed and twisted so bad that it will spiritually destroy someone who doesn't know or have a close, intimate, honest, loving relationship with The Lord themselves.

Set yourself up a comfortable, quiet place with good lighting for reading...take hold of your Bible...and pray for God to enlighten His Word to you...to give you understanding...knowledge..and wisdom of His Word..and study to show yourself approved. Don't listen to anyone about what you should believe...go to God's Word and let the Holy Spirit guide you and teach you in the way that you should go. Don't just pick lone verses, by themselves that sound good to you...get a concordance to look up certain key words in these verses and search the entire Bible to bring the honest answers to your understanding and study them with all of your heart...but you MUST know the Word of God as your guide...THE TRUTH...not another man's version of the truth...because you will find as many truth's as there are people...and there is only ONE TRUTH...and with a pure, open heart, God will reveal His Truth to you. Pray, pray, pray kentuckydad. God Bless you.

I pray for you kentuckydad...that you find God's truth.

In Christ,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-23-2009 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I am on fire for Jesus Christ.

I do not attend church regularly. I understand that the bible says we should assemble with other believers.

In my opinion, it is good to attend bible studies with other believers. I think it helps us on our spiritual journey . . .

In my opinion, Church, a Church family can be a good thing, it has been something I have wanted in my life . . . but have not found a good fit.

I have some doctrinal issues with some churches . . . and I feel like some churches we can't come as we are . . sneakers, jeans . ., and then there are other churches I am just not comfortable attending.

Your answer, I consider myself a Christian, and I am not a regular church attender . . .

But I disagree with Alan . . . I am more on fire for Jesus than ever, and I am not attached to a "building" . . . .and I desire to read my Bible every day, and to seek out a "real" relationship with Him, and I don't feel it requires a Pastor or Congregation.
Amen...I am with you on that. I have grown and learned so much more than I ever did being involved in Institutionalized Church. Let's face it there is not alot of teaching going on in churches theses days....it is all about not stepping on any toes and giving the congregation the Sunday feel good message. Gathing together with other Christians and edifying each other does not have to occur in a building called a "church". Maybe I'm different...but I believe we are to edify each other everyday as we encounter each other not just on Sunday. I also give generously to charitys I feel led to give to...I am assured that the money I give is actually being used the way it is supposed to be used and not on the entertainment or benefit of a congregation of believers.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Read you bible and there you will find your answer which is what you should have been told to do in the first place.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-23-2009 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity