Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

YouTube - The Fire - Part 1 by Nate Pfeil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 PM

702 posts, read 1,005,983 times
For what I heard, the segment you posted, I'd have to say he doesn't get it! Let me explain. I experienced being born of the Spirit and He filled me, doing many wonderful things for me, miracles and answers to prayer, and teaching me with dreams and visions. I read the Bible over and over. But, I didn't know how to stop sinning. This Nate Pfeil, or you, thrillobyte, or whoever...tell me how to stop sinning. I know the answer now; but I want to see if you know. It's one thing to be against sin and another entirely to be free, not just from the guilt, but free from sin's power.

I wanted it so much for 25 years, hurting with the need and the fruitless effort until the answer came. I prayed and fasted. I searched the word. I read other "Christians" books, though I never found one titled: "How To Strop Sinning." I sought counsel of the world and of Godly men. We cast out demons. I obeyed what I understood, vigorously casting down every sinful thought. It was every couple of minutes of my waking hours for years. It seemed to only get worse. I tried ignoring such impulses and thoughts because I was crucified with Christ so dead to sin. It only re-emerged in deeper areas of my personality, less susceptible to my control. While this was going on God was still manifesting in such wonderful ways. Yet I was miserable, stumbling and not free in my soul.

Tell me the answer. I'll know if it is the truth or not. Or do you just repeat certain traditions learned from other men, how to reassure yourself by condemning most other people. Do you just shake people's cages or do you have answers?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
For what I heard, the segment you posted, I'd have to say he doesn't get it! Let me explain. I experienced being born of the Spirit and He filled me, doing many wonderful things for me, miracles and answers to prayer, and teaching me with dreams and visions. I read the Bible over and over. But, I didn't know how to stop sinning. This Nate Pfeil, or you, thrillobyte, or whoever...tell me how to stop sinning. I know the answer now; but I want to see if you know. It's one thing to be against sin and another entirely to be free, not just from the guilt, but free from sin's power.

I wanted it so much for 25 years, hurting with the need and the fruitless effort until the answer came. I prayed and fasted. I searched the word. I read other "Christians" books, though I never found one titled: "How To Strop Sinning." I sought counsel of the world and of Godly men. We cast out demons. I obeyed what I understood, vigorously casting down every sinful thought. It was every couple of minutes of my waking hours for years. It seemed to only get worse. I tried ignoring such impulses and thoughts because I was crucified with Christ so dead to sin. It only re-emerged in deeper areas of my personality, less susceptible to my control. While this was going on God was still manifesting in such wonderful ways. Yet I was miserable, stumbling and not free in my soul.

Tell me the answer. I'll know if it is the truth or not. Or do you just repeat certain traditions learned from other men, how to reassure yourself by condemning most other people. Do you just shake people's cages or do you have answers?
I will answer you, James with my own experience. I just plain got tired of feeling rotten about disgracing myself before God. The guilt of knowing how much God had done for me; how much patience He had demonstrated for me; how He could have taken my life on numerous occasions (yes, that's how far gone I was) and yet He didn't--he gave me chance after chance after chance, despite my 100 failures after 100 failures finally did me in. He knew that eventually I would come to the end of myself; that, basically, I just got tired of sinning and said, "No more. I've had it.' It didn't happen overnight; it was a gradual process over many months. I still sinned, but I started noticing it was not as frequent with the passage of each week. Little by little the sinning stopped until today not sinning has become a frame of mind for me. There are still "triggers" but I've learned to "put the flesh under domination" as Paul said, I think those are his words. Now it's hardly a struggle for me. When temptation comes calling I call on the Holy Spirit and He helps me through. I've learned the impulses are there for just a moment and then, if I persevere, it passes. That's my experience. I hope that was helpful.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 AM

240 posts, read 437,161 times
I agree ,you have to get sick and tired of being sick amd tired of sin,of defiling the temple that god created,for me i got tired of disappointing myself and disappoinyingmy lord,after he would continue to love me he killed my sin with his love

Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,384 times
Paul was sick and tired of sin too because as much as he obeyed, sin was still there. That's just how it is in scripture.

We are free "from" sin, but in this life we are not free "of" sin. The difference is subtle to recognize.

Quote:
Ro 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

1Jn 1:8 . If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Ro 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Ro 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
His love for Christ was increased based on that fact and that's how we should see it as well. No matter where you are, who you are, no matter what you have done, what you are doing or what you may do, Jesus still loves you and there is nothing that will change that.

That love is what gives us the strength to endure and fight to not sin, it is a genuine desire, not a fake ploy hoping to avoid Gods judgments.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
I'd like to hear your answer James.

The answer, in as far as I understand, is that if we don't want to walk by the flesh we must walk by the spirit. Well, it makes sense, that since our spirit has been made a new creation and the Spirit of God is in union with it, that walking by that spirit is going to be in direct oppostion to our flesh. But I sure never had a clue how to carry that out, in all honestly... how does one go about walking by the spirit?

I never really heard any teaching on that until recently and I'm very much in the beginning process of understanding, although I believe God in His grace has allowed me to experience the Spirit's power in spite of my ignorance. My hope now is that I understand more fully I will be less of a hindrance. (So much to learn, so little time!!) I so want my spirit/Spirit of Christ to pour out into my soul and fill it up with light so that the darkness of my carnal nature has nowhere to hide! I think there are clues as to how this comes about (I should say, these are the things I have come to understand so far, there may be more):

Jesus said that we would worship in spirit and in truth. So, one way to begin walking in the S/spirit is to worship. Another thing we're told to do in the S/spirit, is pray. I think that is both a reference to praying in tongues since we are told that when we do that we are edifying ourselves, as well as praying in the way the Spirit guides us to according to the teaching of the Word (ie unceasingly [persistently], with thanks, etc.).

Romans 12:1-2 says that we are to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice and to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. This can happen to my understanding only be being saturated in God's Word. That Word, combined with worship and prayer, penetrates our spirit with understanding which the Holy Spirit works outwards into our soul/mind.

My conclusion to this:

Php 2:12-13 tells us that we should work out our salvation (sanctification, is what I believe is meant there) with fear and trembling. So we definitely play a part by taking firmly hold of the tools our Father has graciously given to us. But, the passage also makes it clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is GOD who does the work in us. GOD, not us. He is the one who moves us to repentance and to a willingness to allow His light to shine into our souls, eradicating sin.

These are my thoughts. Please, share yours!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
I finally made the time to watch the video. No, he really doesn't get it. He needs to read 1 John, many, many times.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
Quote:

Personally i don't believe that anyone alive on earth can live in the corruptible flesh and be without sin. I believe what Christ said, which was echoed by Paul in romans 7, in order to stop from sinning we would have to cut out our eyes and, cut off our ears, and cut off other troublesome parts and even cut out our brains and hearts to be without sin.

I believe we can be free of the bondage of sin, so that it no longer dominates our lives and controls our thoughts. That is a part of the process of having our minds conformed to Christ. And as our minds are conformed so also do we learn control over the tongue which seems to me to be the most hazardous part of the body when it comes to sin. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, what goes in the mouth does not defile the body, but what comes out of the mouth defiles the body.

I believe feeling the conviction of sin and being honest with ourselves about our own dispositions and the negative habits we are prone to sliding back into from time to time, whether inside or outside the body, is always important in keeping us humble and sincere in our thanks. Guilt on the other hand is a tool of the enemy, which is only serves the purpose of bondage. As i understand it from scripture sin derives from the corruptible flesh into which we were born. We now wait on the hope of righteousness by faith(Gal 5:5), which will be full realized and manifest when we our bodies are raised and changed into incorruptible and immortal bodies.

This is basically how i believe on the subject. I have never met another human being who was not a sinner. Who did not sin in his or her life from time to time() if not many times every day(). I have met plenty who claimed that they did not sin anymore, but time and again excepting none everyone of them have proven themselves to be hypocrites just like the rest of us, only more self righteous and or delusional. But what they heck, i have't met every person on the planet maybe some of you people are exceptions to the rule. I may never know ... But i have my sneaky suspicions ...

Old 08-05-2009, 03:59 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
What i find truly sad about this video is the fact that Jesus did speak to the angels of the churches in Asia minor through the apostle John ... He did not speak of his suffering and use it to try and make the churches feel bad, though he did have plenty to say about what he held against them. Lets list it here shall we?

Quote:
1. ... And first on the list is ... They had lost the love which they had at first! When they had been forgiven and drawn to Christ by Gods mercy and through the spirit. That love and joy they had at the beginning in their lives they had lost and many among them were a "church" or works and condemnation of evil, but lacking in love.

2. The doctrine of Balaam ... Idolatry and fornication(literally the use of sex in ancient pagan rituals as representative of the fertility of nature)

3. The doctrine of the Nicolaitans ... Power over the laity ... There is much contention as to what the doctrine of the Nicolaitans actually was ...

4. The doctrines of the prophetess Jezebel ... Again idolatry and Pagan sex rituals and practices ...

5. General weakness due to having forgotten how they had received the truth in the beginning. How they had forgotten and how they had received the truth is another thing left open for debate.

6. Believing oneself to be rich and in need of nothing. Being puffed up thinking oneself better than others, while yet not realizing how WRETCHED(afflicted) they actually are themselves ... They are to be pitied(miserable) because in the spirit they are poor and blind and naked(their sin laid bare).
Very interesting. However never once in the messages of Christ to the churches does he threaton to punish them in eternal hell () ...

He says he will cast them into tribulation, and come upon them as a thief, and steal their candle stick from their midst ... Not a mention of eternal hell.

What does the bible say about people(Christians even) who have no good works? What does the bible say about the wicked servant? The wicked servant shall be appointed his portion with the unbelievers(Luk 12:46) ... His works will be burned up by fire and he will suffer loss, yet he himself will be saved, yet so as by fire (1 Cor 3:15) ...

And no that fire is not the "fires of hell" in the traditional since, though it could be said that Christ did use the trash pit of the valley of Hinnom at least once as a metaphor of the fiery judgments of God. After all fire and brimstone(Sulfur) are symbolic of purification, as well as literally used for the purpose of sanctification and sanitation/purification.

I see this person in the video being in error. I agree that many people in the church are in need of waking up from their religious sleep to having a true relationship with God and returning back to the true message of his salvation and provideing an example of his love and mercy to the whole world.

We are not told ... "Go out and preach eternal destruction to the whole world if they do not repent and believe the way we do ... Specifically"

We are told to teach "God is the savior of all men, especially those that believe."

Even in the apostles creed we see nothing about believing in eternal hell.

Quote:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended into Hades.

The third day He arose again from the dead;

He ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the church; (edit )
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.

Amen.

Yeah nothing about eternal damnation There ...

Yeah i don't really care what others say, i believe in what is written in the creed above, and will ignore the ravings and rants of this angry person with delusions of eternal torture and self appeasing heavenly delights.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 08-05-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Quote:
Personally i don't believe that anyone alive on earth can live in the corruptible flesh and be without sin. I believe what Christ said, which was echoed by Paul in romans 7, in order to stop from sinning we would have to cut out our eyes and, cut off our ears, and cut off other troublesome parts and even cut out our brains and hearts to be without sin.

I believe we can be free of the bondage of sin, so that it no longer dominates our lives and controls our thoughts. That is a part of the process of having our minds conformed to Christ. And as our minds are conformed so also do we learn control over the tongue which seems to me to be the most hazardous part of the body when it comes to sin. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, what goes in the mouth does not defile the body, but what comes out of the mouth defiles the body.

I believe feeling the conviction of sin and being honest with ourselves about our own dispositions and the negative habits we are prone to sliding back into from time to time, whether inside or outside the body, is always important in keeping us humble and sincere in our thanks. Guilt on the other hand is a tool of the enemy, which is only serves the purpose of bondage. As i understand it from scripture sin derives from the corruptible flesh into which we were born. We now wait on the hope of righteousness by faith(Gal 5:5), which will be full realized and manifest when we our bodies are raised and changed into incorruptible and immortal bodies.

This is basically how i believe on the subject. I have never met another human being who was not a sinner. Who did not sin in his or her life from time to time() if not many times every day(). I have met plenty who claimed that they did not sin anymore, but time and again excepting none everyone of them have proven themselves to be hypocrites just like the rest of us, only more self righteous and or delusional. But what they heck, i have't met every person on the planet maybe some of you people are exceptions to the rule. I may never know ... But i have my sneaky suspicions ...
Good post, Ironmaw. Thanks for sharing! God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity