Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,515 times

Advertisements

My 6 year old daughter wants to be saved. I myself did not make this decision until I was out on my own and in my twenties. I cannot help but feel she doesn't completely understand the redemption and Christ's sacrifice but, her sincerity and desire is very strong. I can't think of telling her no but am aprehensive about such a serious dedication at such a young age.

So, what is too young - I understand Catholics dedicate babies but, we are not Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,609 times
In the eyes of God, it is never too young to be Baptized. If there is a priest around at the time of birth, and if the parents choose to have the baby Baptize, then the priest by his own annointing into the Melchisedech Order, the Order of Jesus Christ has the Spirit to bless the baby in Baptism.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times
I definitely don't think she is too young! 3-4 year olds have accepted Christ as their Savior! I was one of them. I taught in a preschool and a 5 year old asked me if I could pray with him because he wanted to accept Jesus into his heart. Jesus says let the little children come to me. Ask her why she wants to be saved. The gospel is simple enough that even children can understand it.

http://www.childrensministry.com/art...and-the-gospel

Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
My 6 year old daughter wants to be saved. I myself did not make this decision until I was out on my own and in my twenties. I cannot help but feel she doesn't completely understand the redemption and Christ's sacrifice but, her sincerity and desire is very strong. I can't think of telling her no but am aprehensive about such a serious dedication at such a young age.

So, what is too young - I understand Catholics dedicate babies but, we are not Catholic.
Show us from scriptures where baptism = "dedicate"

FYI: Catholics don't "dedicate" babies, the reason is simple .... baptism isn't something we do for God or for photo opp's.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,930 times
Quote:

If I had a child who wanted to be baptised, I would wait until that child fully understaood what baptism is. I don't mean from one religion, I mean if that child understood it from different perspectives so that they could discern on their own what would be right for them and not the parents and their beliefs.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times
certainly I don't see any harm in it.I had my daughter christened as a baby,I know it's a bit different but God never brings harm on those who do His will in His name. I think it's sweet.I would let her do it.she will never forget it,but she will if you refuse her to do it.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 AM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
certainly I don't see any harm in it.I had my daughter christened as a baby,I know it's a bit different but God never brings harm on those who do His will in His name. I think it's sweet.I would let her do it.she will never forget it,but she will if you refuse her to do it.

I don't know, I think she would look back and respect the fact that her parent wanted her to understand what it is she is doing and why. Did you find out why she wants to "be saved"? Is someone telling her she will go to a bad place if she does not...? I think you need to talk to her further and find out why she is requesting this. I would just be sure to rule out that someone somwhere isn't instilling fear into her.

good luck,
peace,
sparrow

Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't know, I think she would look back and respect the fact that her parent wanted her to understand what it is she is doing and why. Did you find out why she wants to "be saved"? Is someone telling her she will go to a bad place if she does not...? I think you need to talk to her further and find out why she is requesting this. I would just be sure to rule out that someone somwhere isn't instilling fear into her.

good luck,
peace,
sparrow
Amen.Excellent advice, sparrow . . . as usual.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:48 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:

Catholics baptize babies, as do many Protestant denominations. I know some Baptists dedicate babies, and a coworker who is a Seventh-Day Adventist is having his baby dedicated next month. Just FYI.

But as to your original question, the words, "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it" come to mind. Your six-year-old might be way ahead of you in her spirituality!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:00 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,515 times
Thank you all for your replies. I have talked with her about her decision and the whys and it doesn't seem as she has been influenced other than "wanting Jesus in her heart" and "not needing to wait until she is an adult". I am just surprised at her convictions at such a young age-I certainly wasn't prepared at that age to understand and desire it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity