Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently started going to Fellowship Church here in Columbia. If you don't know, it's a satelite church and the pastor, Ed Young, is carried live in all the churches from the main campus in Texas. The satelites all have their own staff and a full rock band. They use technology well and seemed to me from the start to be actively trying to reach out to a younger crowd with the fast paced video cuts and loud music with the thumping beat and guitars.

One thing that dawned on me yesterday was that Young's sermons are decidely old school in some ways. They remind me more of the preachers i grew up listening to in my parents tired old churches. So today I did a little research and found the Fellowship Church has a connection to the Southern Baptist Convention, of which my parents tired old churches all belonged. I've just started the Google search, but there was apparently as issue with Young's latest book and also with his use of a private jet. I have made no decisions on what I think about those issues.

I have been torn over whether I like the church or not. I'm not a big church goer and my faith has wavered for years. My belief, in fact, has wavered and I'm still not so sure what I think about all of this after having trusted blindly in what I read in the Bible for the first 20 or so years of my life. I thought long and hard after many of Young's sermons and while I tend to like his style, I'm still not sure of many things he says. For example, in a sermond on family yesterday, he touched on how the government is trying to create dysfunction in the family, which I took to mean gay marriage. I don't go to church for politics and in the past, I have stopped going to a church with the pastor evidently thought he was guest hosting on the EIB Network.

But the sermons have made me think more about religon than I have in a while, which I guess is a good thing. But do any others here have an opinion on Ed Young and the Fellowship Church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
I visited the Grapevine, TX church a couple of years ago. His teaching seemed to line up with the SBC more than I expected. Fellowship Church is part of something called the seeker movement, which involves steps like dropping Baptist from the name in order to attract people.

Overall, it seemed good - although it's hard go off of one visit. It wouldn't surprise me if Ed Young's teaching came from a more conservative understanding of scripture, which may not be in line with your thinking.

Personally, I'm not fond of the idea of always watching my pastor preach on a TV screen from halfway across the country. I can do that with TBN. Just a personal preference, though.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Personally, I'm not fond of the idea of always watching my pastor preach on a TV screen from halfway across the country. I can do that with TBN. Just a personal preference, though.
My wife went to the church once before I went and when she told me about this, I was skeptical myself. It doesn't seem too odd now that I see how they use technoly and video editting in their "expirience" more.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
the shepherd knows his sheep. if ed has no idea, nor will every have, of who you are, then you like the man for his charisma. you cannot say he cares for his sheep. the good thing is that he is just a little shepherd. The True Shepherd knows you. so I guess it is ok to attend his church for those who like that type of teaching and church. Hopefully he is not a political preacher and just preaches the truth without worrying which of his preacher friends he offends.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 620 times
Default Prior Member, won't return

I was a prior member of Fellowship (joined spring 1996, left 2003). Actually pushed out is a better term.

A close friend and I previously hosted a "home team" (term for small group fellowships, they may have changed the name since). Even so, they decided to "reconstitute" the home team for a younger crowd, and we were invited to find a different one.

Also I worked in the new members ministry. Apparently the "rumor" got started that I was going elsewhere, so I was asked to train someone to do my job, only to learn I was training my replacement. (And, somehow they "lost" the professionally-made name tag with my name on it)

Stopped going. Finally got around in late 2014 to formally request removal from membership rolls (never heard back if they did or not, or if they already had done that).

I visited there around a year ago. The crowd is a shell of its former glory (they even have a large part of the seating physically blocked off, forcing you down front to make the crowd look bigger).

Interestingly I learned that in late 2017-2018 they've been selling off chunks of their property to third parties (including their former office building) and they may have either sold or donated one plat to Samaritan's Purse for its new warehouse (thus it's being better used than Fellowship was). They also announced they're making the Frisco campus the "co-head campus" (chasing the $$$ just like Watermark and probably can throw Gateway in there too).

TL;DR version: AVOID THIS CHURCH.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:37 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My wife and I recently started going to Fellowship Church here in Columbia. If you don't know, it's a satelite church and the pastor, Ed Young, is carried live in all the churches from the main campus in Texas. The satelites all have their own staff and a full rock band. They use technology well and seemed to me from the start to be actively trying to reach out to a younger crowd with the fast paced video cuts and loud music with the thumping beat and guitars.

One thing that dawned on me yesterday was that Young's sermons are decidely old school in some ways. They remind me more of the preachers i grew up listening to in my parents tired old churches. So today I did a little research and found the Fellowship Church has a connection to the Southern Baptist Convention, of which my parents tired old churches all belonged. I've just started the Google search, but there was apparently as issue with Young's latest book and also with his use of a private jet. I have made no decisions on what I think about those issues.

I have been torn over whether I like the church or not. I'm not a big church goer and my faith has wavered for years. My belief, in fact, has wavered and I'm still not so sure what I think about all of this after having trusted blindly in what I read in the Bible for the first 20 or so years of my life. I thought long and hard after many of Young's sermons and while I tend to like his style, I'm still not sure of many things he says. For example, in a sermond on family yesterday, he touched on how the government is trying to create dysfunction in the family, which I took to mean gay marriage. I don't go to church for politics and in the past, I have stopped going to a church with the pastor evidently thought he was guest hosting on the EIB Network.

But the sermons have made me think more about religon than I have in a while, which I guess is a good thing. But do any others here have an opinion on Ed Young and the Fellowship Church?
Wait... what? I had not heard about this type of worship service.

So you do your own worship music and all other aspects of the worship service, but for the message you broadcast Young's sermon from Second Baptist Houston live all the way in South Carolina.

I wonder what led to that type of arrangement. Young is actually considered the pastor of your church?

I think you are generally accurate about Young. His biblical principles are generally solid. His style is traditional. But I don't get how he can be a pastor for people 1000 miles away. There's no one local that can pastor?

Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Wait... what? I had not heard about this type of worship service.

So you do your own worship music and all other aspects of the worship service, but for the message you broadcast Young's sermon from Second Baptist Houston live all the way in South Carolina.

I wonder what led to that type of arrangement. Young is actually considered the pastor of your church?

I think you are generally accurate about Young. His biblical principles are generally solid. His style is traditional. But I don't get how he can be a pastor for people 1000 miles away. There's no one local that can pastor?
He has to maintain control...

Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Society has become to techy for it’s own good.
People that “pastor” a large local-only church can barely keep up, much less from a distance.
Not sure which is more bothersome: the guy in charge who thought this was a good idea, or that there are people who go through the trouble of driving somewhere to.... watch television, basically.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I looked it up ... this is Ed Young Jr. ... that's why I hadn't heard of it. So it's not out of Second Baptist and it's not his dad. This is totally different. So the church in Columbia must use the FellowshipLive internet feed.

My bad.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-25-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity