Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times

Advertisements

Act 2:42 They were devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

How is fellowship with other believers playing out in your life and do you participate in communion? (Lord's Supper)

Can spiritual growth take place without fellowship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Act 2:42 They were devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

How is fellowship with other believers playing out in your life and do you participate in communion? (Lord's Supper)

Can spiritual growth take place without fellowship?
I don't think you can completely base someone's spiritual walk on their fellowship. Some people are more introverted than others, likewise you have those who are very extroverted.

I think some form of fellowship though is essentially for spiritual growth. Hard to find people to fellowship with me, as I'm a bit more reserved a person. It takes a bit to get to know me, but once I get to know someone I'm fairly outgoing and friendly.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,276,288 times
I just posted some verses in this post (before I saw your thread) https://www.city-data.com/forum/2745219-post9.html that I had quickly gathered together one day while studying about the unity of the early church. It's obvious that fellowship for them was very important! I couldn't get along without it... and communion with my brothers and sisters is a very special time that draws us together.

I think that spiritual growth could take place without fellowship (e.g. circumstances where fellowship is impossible) but there is alot that is missed. Accountability is a key word.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
IMO, we have over the centuries changed the word fellowship from its original meaningFellowship today seems to focus on social activities within the membership if a particular church..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,503,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO, we have over the centuries changed the word fellowship from its original meaningFellowship today seems to focus on social activities within the membership if a particular church..
I know what you mean. To me, blue's definition is partially true. And those times can be valuable to strengthening relationships with people who will be good influences in our lives.

It also means that I will have people there to lean on when the going gets tough. And I'll be there to return the favor when they need me.

They are there to call my behavior into check when I need it (lovingly, hopefully ) and I will do the same for them.

We can teach and instruct one another, through Bible study. Sometimes others see so much more than I do, and other times, I can share insight that helps them in their walk.

I will worship with them. Together, we can make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

We will rejoice together, weep together, pray together, and walk together.

It is only because I have tried to go it alone in the past that I see the true value in my close friends. I don't take them for granted. I treasure them and see them as a gift from the Lord.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,487 times
Fellowship is quite important for the young believer. I would attend church up to 4 times per week, including twice on Sundays at times. I did that for about 5 years, including bible studies at person's houses. You get balance, regularity, like a good diet. I think however, and this is not a justification of my behavior, that maintaining that schedule as an older Xian can be growth inhibiting.

I have found a number of congregations with persons I could not connect with. Mind you, I have found connections in churches where I was the yougest by 20-30 years, and I've found connections in churches where I was a minority as a Caucasian person. I do not feel rooted in any community as yet inasmuch as I am finishing studies, and my work takes me to very different environments.

That being said, I have also seen much hypocrisy and politics in churches and that isn't my game anymore. As an older Christian (going on 30 years) that lifestyle is just not for me. Some would say it would be my role to enter and become the stabilizer. That's not my dream and its one G-d has not yet shared with me yet. And my role with the church in combining my profession would alternately be welcomed and hated. Were I to truly fellowship in a church, I would have to find two churches. One to be who I could be without a hassle, and one to be in ministry and service. I don't think that would be possible at this time. Do ministers typically get fed by their own congregations? There's a lot of pressure to be more than human, and I think the position for them in their service is draining.

I have a wife and son to be concerned about, and I think they need to be and should be fed as much as I. Being nomadic, the opportunities are not there. Is there something I miss out on? Perhaps. I miss out on the same thing by not stopping my car to change persons flats, which is something I used to do frequently in the past.

Fellowship in the church would provide me a more colorful outlook, but I'm not looking for that, as far as diverse views. Many I've become familiar with are mindless, purely faith based, and trite. And I don't require greater dogma. I consider that many persons of the OT had G-d to fellowship with, and they were firebrands and bellwethers. Is this a narcissistic self-assertion? I don't think so, but I can't walk in old footprints any more than I can receive the same pabulum I did as a younger Christian and call it sustaining and nurturing anymore.

I have found greater peace at this time not being active in a church, not being in fellowship, and I'm comfortable for it. My longing for community exists, but I wonder if that's not any different from a young child seeking the nurturance that comes out of being younger? There are some things we can't go back to due to developmental progression, and I think for myself at this time, that type of community holds no value. Perhaps I'm in the desert now, waiting that refreshing that will draw me back in. And the desert has been good for many a saint, many a believer, and those searching.

If you continue to benefit and grow through fellowship, do maintain, but if not, seek and find safer shores. We are not called to fight or harbor dissent.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times
Last night, my wife was in a bad mood. But she needed to respond to some emails.
Understandably, she was not into it, but was able to fake a good mood, and sign emails with LOL etc.
I pointed out to her that her responses in the emails reminded me of our need for human contact, for "community".
I believe God designed us that way.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
and are we taking communion?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
Quote:
That's what I call fellowship

Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,503,561 times
Quote:
Yep. Usually once a month...occassionally more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity