Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,276,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
and are we taking communion?

Yes.. a solemn, yet joyful occasion. We partake of communion after we have searched and examined our hearts, and declare our peace with the Lord and our brethren.. being accountable to the Lord and to our brethren.
1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM

22,294 posts, read 19,272,896 times
Fellowship with other humans is required for spiritual growth.

If I go off and isolate I may connect with God but I do not grow spiritually, which I read in the post as in improving, expanding, evolving, becoming the bigger better bolder more loving version of myself that God wants me to be.

It is only through my interactions with other humans in my daily life that I acquire spiritual growth.

That can be inspirational and uplifting spiritual fellowship, such as with like-minded humans with whom I share ceremonly, ritual, prayer, song, chants, or silence.

It also (and more importantly) comes through unpleasant or disturbing interactions with humans, for that is truly where I grow spiritually, in how I respond, in how I grow in tolerance, in how I practice love, in revising beliefs and actions that no longer work for me. That is the fellowship of my daily life and is all around me, at work, at home, driving, at the store.

Most spiritual growth, as in change and improvement and learning more about ourselves and our walk with Creator, comes less with like-minded believers, and more with everyone else we encounter in our daily life, work, and relationships, especially those that challenge us in some way to stay serene, peaceful, loving, and peaceful.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM

22,294 posts, read 19,272,896 times
I like how it was explained to me once....I can sit on a mountaintop or in the monastery or in the church for days and weeks on end praying and singing with my brethren and feeling the peace of the lord....

...but it's when someone cuts in front of me while I'm standing in line for the rice bowl, or at the grocery store, or driving in traffic, and I get angry and upset.....that's when the true measure of my spiritual growth takes place.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,718 times
I don't think the Lord would be mad at an individual if all they wanted to do was to spend their time with him. I do think though it would grieve him a bit, as it probably want them to go out and fellowship with his other children. Still people are different, so not everyone is going to be a social butterfly in their walk, and being more gregarious doesn't necessarily equate to having a greater spiritual walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity