Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times

Advertisements

So many times I read people on here say, "it's wrong to judge", "you shouldn't judge", etc.

I find scripture to say we ARE to judge, a righteous judgment. Some scriptures:

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

How can we know who are the swine, if we don't judge their actions?

John 7

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Some more that speak of things where judgment obviously was involved:

John 4:1
Rev 2:1-3
Acts 20:28-31

There are scriptures that tell us not to judge, but you'll notice all of those are saying not to judge the heart, as that is Christ's job. But I do believe we are to judge a person's action and words and decide if they are true or not.

What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Consider what He said to Samuel, His prophet concerning the next king of Israel:

Quote:
Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD sees not as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart. (1 Sam 16:7)
If His own prophet had to be reminded, how much more do we? The necessity of His life within us to live according to His standards cannot be stressed enough. The natural man cannot grasp what He sees, feels, and considers without being changed - this leads us to another topic of dying to self, but it's true.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
What do ya'll think?
"judge-accusing" is a very American thing. Sort of exclusive even.

I have been all over the world and noone kind of accuses other of judgement.

The "judge" scare you hear of today is more about being politically right.

It's like a guy can walk into the ***** house. It's his own free will. He is entitled to his opinion. And it's rude to judge him. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Even a pimp deserves common societal respect, and that's how politically correct this part of the world is. Strange!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
a concept absolutely perfected and worldwide copied ad nauseam. can hit anyone. anytime. anywhere.
gotta be popular. perish the thought.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
So many times I read people on here say, "it's wrong to judge", "you shouldn't judge", etc.

I find scripture to say we ARE to judge, a righteous judgment. Some scriptures:

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

How can we know who are the swine, if we don't judge their actions?

John 7

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Some more that speak of things where judgment obviously was involved:

John 4:1
Rev 2:1-3
Acts 20:28-31

There are scriptures that tell us not to judge, but you'll notice all of those are saying not to judge the heart, as that is Christ's job. But I do believe we are to judge a person's action and words and decide if they are true or not.

What do ya'll think?
Good points. Some more questions.

If one judges righteously, then what measure will he be judged with?

If I judge someone for stealing but do not steal myself, what beam do I have to remove from my eye?

If I am to discern good from evil, how am I not to judge?

If I am to beware of false prophets and false teachers, how am I not to judge?

If I am to discern the fruit of a tree, how am I not to judge?

If I am to rebuke a brother who sins, or if several of us are to rebuke an elder for sinning, how am I not to judge?

If I am to judge the angels in the next life, can I not judge the minor things of this life?

Am I not to judge those inside the church?

If I am to judge the world, am I not able to judge trivial matters?

Aren't even men of little account in the church worthy of being appointed judges?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:35 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:

What do ya'll think?
I think you're absolutely right. If we have examined ourselves and are free from the particular sin we are pointing out, then it is our duty to do so. Otherwise it is hypocritical to judge. Judge not the heart or the person, but the sin and the actions.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
So are you down with Fred Phelps and the gang? He's big on judging and he cites scripture to do it......

Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I agree that we are not to judge a persons faith...Nor are we to insult ones ability to grasp scripture..The Holy Spirit works in that person and gives Him the understanding he needs..I know many people who are not highly educated nor capable of being highly educated who know Christ and follow Him on faith and love, and on what God has given others to share with him.

From Matthew 5
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
So are you down with Fred Phelps and the gang? He's big on judging and he cites scripture to do it......
I'm big into fulfilling my responsibilities but by your lack of any Christian message I'll have no heartburn dismissing your message for the garbage it is.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
I'm big into fulfilling my responsibilities but by your lack of any Christian message I'll have no heartburn dismissing your message for the garbage it is.
WW I can tell I got that vibe in another thread.

Just out of curiosity, OB, do you clasp a Bible in one hand and a pirate's hook on the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity