Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
WW I can tell I got that vibe in another thread.

Just out of curiosity, OB, do you clasp a Bible in one hand and a pirate's hook on the other?
Still haven't felt any compulsion to denounce pedophile priests, CA? Guess you're too busy denouncing those who bring them to light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Consider what He said to Samuel, His prophet concerning the next king of Israel:

If His own prophet had to be reminded, how much more do we? The necessity of His life within us to live according to His standards cannot be stressed enough. The natural man cannot grasp what He sees, feels, and considers without being changed - this leads us to another topic of dying to self, but it's true.
I agree, we are not to judge the heart, but we can judge the actions and words, which is actually an oxymoron because they come from the heart. If we never judge (discern) one's words or actions, how do we know if they come bearing the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
"judge-accusing" is a very American thing. Sort of exclusive even.

I have been all over the world and noone kind of accuses other of judgement.

The "judge" scare you hear of today is more about being politically right.

It's like a guy can walk into the ***** house. It's his own free will. He is entitled to his opinion. And it's rude to judge him. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Even a pimp deserves common societal respect, and that's how politically correct this part of the world is. Strange!
Very true.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Good points. Some more questions.

If one judges righteously, then what measure will he be judged with?

If I judge someone for stealing but do not steal myself, what beam do I have to remove from my eye?

If I am to discern good from evil, how am I not to judge?

If I am to beware of false prophets and false teachers, how am I not to judge?

If I am to discern the fruit of a tree, how am I not to judge?

If I am to rebuke a brother who sins, or if several of us are to rebuke an elder for sinning, how am I not to judge?

If I am to judge the angels in the next life, can I not judge the minor things of this life?

Am I not to judge those inside the church?

If I am to judge the world, am I not able to judge trivial matters?

Aren't even men of little account in the church worthy of being appointed judges?
Very good questions Omaha.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think you're absolutely right. If we have examined ourselves and are free from the particular sin we are pointing out, then it is our duty to do so. Otherwise it is hypocritical to judge. Judge not the heart or the person, but the sin and the actions.
I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
So are you down with Fred Phelps and the gang? He's big on judging and he cites scripture to do it......
We are to judge a righteous judgment. Phelps' twisting of scripture is not righteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I agree that we are not to judge a persons faith...Nor are we to insult ones ability to grasp scripture..The Holy Spirit works in that person and gives Him the understanding he needs..I know many people who are not highly educated nor capable of being highly educated who know Christ and follow Him on faith and love, and on what God has given others to share with him.

From Matthew 5
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.
We definitely have to be careful when speaking to someone such as this, but aren't we judging them when we "decide" he has not the ability to grasp scripture, and therefore we want to show them a better way?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:47 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,972,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So many times I read people on here say, "it's wrong to judge", "you shouldn't judge", etc.

I find scripture to say we ARE to judge, a righteous judgment. Some scriptures:

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

How can we know who are the swine, if we don't judge their actions?

John 7

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Some more that speak of things where judgment obviously was involved:

John 4:1
Rev 2:1-3
Acts 20:28-31

There are scriptures that tell us not to judge, but you'll notice all of those are saying not to judge the heart, as that is Christ's job. But I do believe we are to judge a person's action and words and decide if they are true or not.

What do ya'll think?
People often quote what Jesus was preaching during His Sermon on the Mount. Yet you would have to of understand the context of what Jesus was saying. He was trying to show the Jews of that time what kind of righteousness would be required in order to be saved by the law alone. So Jesus expanded on all the laws so much the Jews of that time understood that no one could be that good. And it would require something more than good works to get to heaven. Jesus even told the men if they lusted after a woman they should pluck out their eye. Now no one was going to do that, yet Jesus said that to make a point. Often many quote things out of context, especially from the Sermon on the mount, and that is where the confusion comes from.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So many times I read people on here say, "it's wrong to judge", "you shouldn't judge", etc.

I find scripture to say we ARE to judge, a righteous judgment. Some scriptures:

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

How can we know who are the swine, if we don't judge their actions?

John 7

24Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Some more that speak of things where judgment obviously was involved:

John 4:1
Rev 2:1-3
Acts 20:28-31

There are scriptures that tell us not to judge, but you'll notice all of those are saying not to judge the heart, as that is Christ's job. But I do believe we are to judge a person's action and words and decide if they are true or not.

What do ya'll think?
Scripture gave you the answer. Most of the people on here don't believe in the bible anyway. We are never to judge salvation but we can judge righteously; my love for your salvation.

This verse imo sums it up perfectly

(John 3:18) "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
When we relay this message then we are accused of judging.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM

63 posts, read 105,282 times
yes yes!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM

341 posts, read 689,291 times
1 cor. 5:9-13. I understand this to say we can judge a fellow christian who is sinning. As far as the non-christians ( those of the world) we are not to judge them. We are to stay away from the sinner, if they do not want to repent

Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,940 times
That Scripture in Matthew chapter seven does not carry universal application. Jesus was addressing hypocrites. He didn't condemn judging at all - He condemned judging when you yourself were guilty of that which you were judging. He didn't say we couldn't remove the spec in our brother's eye, but if we are to do so, we must be sure not to have a beam in ours.

"FIRST cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and THEN shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." (Emphasis Mine)

On another note, to not judge is to make a judgement on judging - Judgement is a requirement for life.

-David Diga Hernandez
[url=http://www.PursueRevival.com]Living Flame Ministries[/url]

Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,269 times
Yes, clearly we all judge, but it is implied that if someone tells you 'not to judge' they are saying do not let the actions of another lead you to hold a lesser view of the dignity and worth of that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity