Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,556,178 times

Advertisements

In reading one of the threads here, I noticed the John 6:57 verse quoted. It prompted me to read the entire discourse that Jesus had with His disciples on Him being "the bread from heaven" , and "the bread of life"....
John 6: 26-58. It is too lengthy for me to post here ( I hope the interested will read it). Anyway...I was then moved to read all that was said about the Lord's Supper.

Finding a connection between the verses in John, and the Supper, I Googled, and found a very thorough and well written study on the Lord's Supper. On the page that lists References, the passages of John are listed as possible allusions to the Supper.

It is a lengthy read, and all pages are of importance. I hope you will enjoy, it as I did.

Introduction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,596,749 times
One of the misconceptions of the Lords Supper was that it was practiced every week.

Remember that the first Christians were all Jews

1. Jews celebrated Sabbath every weekend by breaking bread and drinking wine
2. Passover was celebrated as a feast

Today's church celebrates the Lord Supper every week/month, but if they read the scriptures the Lord's Supper = Passover not Sabbath

Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
One of the misconceptions of the Lords Supper was that it was practiced every week.

Remember that the first Christians were all Jews

1. Jews celebrated Sabbath every weekend by breaking bread and drinking wine
2. Passover was celebrated as a feast

Today's church celebrates the Lord Supper every week/month, but if they read the scriptures the Lord's Supper = Passover not Sabbath

Apparently you have not read any of that link????

Old 12-31-2008, 12:45 PM

i didnt see the arrow pointing to the next page

brb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Apparently you have not read any of that link????

Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
i didnt see the arrow pointing to the next page

brb
There are several pages.....with an arrow directing to each one at the bottom of each page. They cover all aspects of the observance.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM

again apparently it seems the author didnt study the scripture that is posted in Corinthians

he's on the right track but the argument about observing the Lord's supper every week is not correct!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
again apparently it seems the author didnt study the scripture that is posted in Corinthians

he's on the right track but the argument about observing the Lord's supper every week is not correct!
How much of it did you read before you decided to post this????

Old 12-31-2008, 12:52 PM

about 4-5

edit - now all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
How much of it did you read before you decided to post this????

Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM

#20 shows the first point.

verse 21 is the 2nd point to prove that it is Passover.
Passover is a feast and they were trying to have it every week.
This is why you must read verse 20 first
Also Passover is a FEAST where you eat lots of food and drinks
Why else would he rebuke them in verse 22?

Do you actually think it was a tiny cracker and a tiny cup of wine?

That is why Paul made a point about it being a feast = Passover

18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
#20 shows the first point.

verse 21 is the 2nd point to prove that it is Passover.
Passover is a feast and they were trying to have it every week.
This is why you must read verse 20 first
Also Passover is a FEAST where you eat lots of food and drinks
Why else would he rebuke them in verse 22?

Do you actually think it was a tiny cracker and a tiny cup of wine?

That is why Paul made a point about it being a feast = Passover

18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
I took the entire writing in context, and did not read it with the intention of picking it apart!!!

To me, the explanation about the "Love Feast" and the Lord's Supper originally being held one after the other made complete sense. Also the admonition in Cor. made complete sense.

I like the History on the observances also.

Since I was connecting it with the verses in John 6, I was hoping a response would be made on that point, not on what day the Supper is to be observed!!!!

It is the part about Jesus being the "bread of heaven", etc. that I was attempting to draw the attention to.

I am sorry you chose to turn it into a quarrel about what day to partake of the Communion, and what size the bread and cup were .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity