Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Trick-or-treating?
Hey, it's free candy...what's the big deal? 45 75.00%
Nope, no way, no how, not gonna do it 15 25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:15 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,696,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
YOU are the ones brainwashing them. YOU are doing it for your own pleasure, not theirs.
Everyone has their own opinion, which is fine.
If you think I`m walking around a neighborhood, up and down hills, going door to door, for my OWN pleasure, you are sadly mistaken.
Brainwashing my child? That is a bit extreme, don`t ya` think?
Geeezzzz......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, by self-righteous adults who can't tell the difference between "paganism" and "satanism."
Are you for real??

Old 10-03-2008, 09:24 PM

68 posts, read 255,549 times
I serve the God of the living, not of the dead. Amen.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:46 AM

396 posts, read 839,051 times
If my niece enjoys dressing up like a firefighter and going from door to door to get some candy, then I am 100% for the smile it brings to her face. She knows the difference between right and wrong. Despite her parents, she also knows about Jesus and can tell the difference between God and Satan. Going Trick or treating to her is just plain fun. And it's worth it to see this 6 year old smile.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,559,741 times
Obviously, since there are many who enjoy doling out the candy, there is no harm in little children accommodating them. What bothers me is the children whose parents allow them to return home, change costumes and repeating the same round. I have seen it happen long ago, and I suspect it still does. I have also seen very large 'children' trick or treating. Now, that is wrong!

The mean things that happen at this date, are not the fault of the little children. It is a shame that the crud take advantage of it to do their nastiness. Perhaps if there was not such a day, there would be a little less meanness?
Perhaps if all the treating was done in the daylight, there would be less meanness in the dark ?

If the streets were being patroled in the evening, it may eliminate a lot of the stuff that is done out of stupidity....

Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,039,437 times
I am Christian. I have done Halloween since childhood. In no way have I "worshiped" Satan. In fact, all my years doing Halloween taught me better than anything else that there ARE forces on this Earth that can do us harm. There ARE things out there that we have no business messing with.

Ya'll will think Im nuts for that, but I believe its the truth.

However, I do not see WHY a child dressing as Tinkerbell or a princess is an issue.

My own childhood costumes included The Wicked Witch of the West ( off of The Wizard of Oz) a ghost ( made of a sheet with holes cut it in it, 'cause it was the easiest thing for my mother to do when I was 3), a UPS Box, a princess, and a cowgirl ( I used the dog as my "hoss!" lol).

Now, as an adult, I have dressed up for work to help with the haunted house that we run every year. It helps to allow the children a safe environment to trick-or-treat.
This year I'll enter a costume contest as a Whoopie Cushion.

I think the essence of any holiday is where your heart is...that, after all, is what God cares about the most.
If your heart is into Halloween for the darker purposes, then,well, I pray for you.
If it is in it for the sheer fun of dressing up as something silly, or letting a child be their hero or fantasy for a night, then let it be.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 PM

68 posts, read 255,549 times
Yeah!!!Who cares what God thinks about this holiday that glorifies death, witchcraft, and the like. We should just do what we feel like doing. I'll tell you something else those little kiddies dressed like princesses and tigers when they are little, look like prostitutes when they are adults. Have you seen the party city ad for Halloween in the mail. Looks like an exuse for women under the guise of a costume to look like a *****. Better read Galatians chapter 5 where it talks about the works for flesh and tell me God is pleased with Halloween and he is not offended.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needrain View Post
Yeah!!!Who cares what God thinks about this holiday that glorifies death, witchcraft, and the like. We should just do what we feel like doing. I'll tell you something else those little kiddies dressed like princesses and tigers when they are little, look like prostitutes when they are adults. Have you seen the party city ad for Halloween in the mail. Looks like an exuse for women under the guise of a costume to look like a *****. Better read Galatians chapter 5 where it talks about the works for flesh and tell me God is pleased with Halloween and he is not offended.
Um...I don't even know where to begin. WOW is the only word for what was just posted. Out one side quoting the bible, out the other calling someone names? Wow. Just so you know, I dressed up as a kid and I in no way shape or form look like a prostitute now that I'm an adult. My cousin is the same way. My Brother? He looks respectable as well, not to mention the rest of my family. It's all in how you are raised.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,793,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
You had to know this thread would be coming...it is the fall now, and pumpkins are everywhere. I'm curious to know how others in this forum feel about trick-or-treating and dressing up in costumes. Would you go to an adult Halloween party, or allow your kids to attend?

Every year I'm torn on trick-or-treating because of all the gruesome costumes out there. My kids get completely freaked out and have nightmares, and quite honestly I don't want to see that kind of stuff either. We've done the church party and that's fun, but the kids are moving past that and aren't interested anymore.

Do you stay home, and give out candy? Or keep the lights off? And, if you do trick-or-treat...how long does the candy stay around your home? When the kids do go out, I usually have to throw the candy out by mid-November because of all the holiday treats to come.
Hoos,
I haven't read past the OP. It's way too long and I haven't had coffee yet. I don't mind my kids trick-or-treating. We only do a few houses though. I HATE all the candy. I usually tell them to just eat until they throw up. That way I don't have to deal with it for too long. They've never done it, but I think they get my point. The only problem I have with Halloween are the billboards that Universal Studios puts up. They are advertising Halloween Horror Nights and the billboards are just flat out terrible. Fortunately we don't do too much driving on the Interstate any more. I'll try to google one so that you know what I'm talking abour.
<><

Here's the website. I didn't look past the first page. I think the lovely lady up front is referred to as Bloody Mary. She is all over the billboards. Pretty nasty.

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/

Last edited by weatherologist; 10-05-2008 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Hoos,
I haven't read past the OP. It's way too long and I haven't had coffee yet. I don't mind my kids trick-or-treating. We only do a few houses though. I HATE all the candy. I usually tell them to just eat until they throw up. That way I don't have to deal with it for too long. They've never done it, but I think they get my point. The only problem I have with Halloween are the billboards that Universal Studios puts up. They are advertising Halloween Horror Nights and the billboards are just flat out terrible. Fortunately we don't do too much driving on the Interstate any more. I'll try to google one so that you know what I'm talking abour.
<><

Here's the website. I didn't look past the first page. I think the lovely lady up front is referred to as Bloody Mary. She is all over the billboards. Pretty nasty.

Florida haunted houses and other behind the scenes information
I've seen similar billboards up here...I agree...some of them are a little tasteless. I had to laugh when you said about telling your kids to eat until they puke. I can see how they would get the point. lol. A few houses is a good idea and a good way to limit the candy overload. I'll have to remember that if I ever have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity