Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Trick-or-treating?
Hey, it's free candy...what's the big deal? 45 75.00%
Nope, no way, no how, not gonna do it 15 25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 AM

112 posts, read 321,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
It seems like Satan has found a weakness in Christians.
OH NO! Satan's got me! ROFLMFAO.
-Not Christian-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I usually take the left over candy to school and deposit it into our treasure tub for my students, except for the chocolate which I usually end up eating! God bless.
Hm, our nephews birthday is Halloween, and there's like maybe ten kids that are coming, but all the party favours only come in packs of twenty. Any ideas of what to do with the rest of them? He's a lot to young for school, so that idea is out, but anyone else have any others? I was thinking of going to the homeless youth center, but I think they'd be a tad worried, if two kids showed up with candy and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I have no problem with trick or treating. Let children dress up and have fun. I do need to say to parents ---please,please, please keep an eye on your children and do not let them out of your sight when you take them trick or treating. When I was a kid (in the 80's) my mom & aunts used to take me and my cousins trick or treating in a big group. I was nearly abducted one year because there were so many of us and with the costumes it was hard for the parents to keep track of all of us. Its a long and very scary story so I'm not going to go into the details but I mention this as a reminder to keep an eye on everyone. Its a fun night but has the potential to be dangerous.
I read about giving your kid a special lit up toy to go with their costume, so you can see them better, like a light up wand/sword/dohickey/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
In college I dressed as a mormon missionary one year, complete with backpack, nametag and book of mormon. When I got to the party I made sure to knock on the front door and when it opened, I introduced myself in my most cheerful voice as a member of the LDS church. I come off as a wholesome, polite person, and everyone said I fit the part perfectly.

My view on trick or treating? Let the kids have some fun. My one stipulation is that they can't dress as something the bible forbids (witch, devil etc...) Aside from that, eat all the Kit Kats you want
You see, I think this is the perfect viewpoint. You're not one of those people up on your high horse; thank whomever, LOL. I have a lot of friends that weren't allowed to dress up like that; it was cool. No one cares WHAT you are for Halloween, as long as you have fun.

Quote:
Oooooooo

Just for the record, though, JW's don't ask for anything
Quite true.

Anyways, on better notes.
It's my girlfriend and I's nephew's second birthday. I get plan the treat bags, and our goal is too make it the coolest party around. We don't know what to dress him up as, but I just thought of a king. That'd be cute. I don't know what little boys dress up as for Halloween. I'd like my girlfriend to be Tinkerbell, but she won't. I wanted to be Peter Pan, but I won't. Last night, we pulled one of those three AM trips to Walmart, and found awesome masks. She wants to be one of the skeleton ones with the blood running down, and I'll probably be one with the colors changing. That'd be cool. The GLBT youth center in our town has a sleepover, but we don't think we will go. We're afriad it'll be a bunch of fifteen year olds, running amuck all night. We can get by with trick-or-treating, because we look like we're fifteen, but aren't. LOL. We're gonna get clothes, and put blood on them, or something. I have no idea. It depends on her, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM

420 posts, read 1,240,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I think for non-christians it's just fine. For christians I would say:

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. HOSEA 4:6

There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these aboninations the Lord your God drives them out from before you. DEUTERONOMY 18:10-12

He who has My commandents and keeps them, it is he who loves me. JOHN 14:21

This is an excellent scripture for Christians to follow. Halloween, although it looks fun is full of witchcraft, violence, and death, just look at the movies they show around Halloween, not a christian holiday at all. But, for people that don't want there kids to feel left out, have wholesome costume parties where your kids can play dress up and have parties with candy, just don't do it on Halloween. It is important to explain to your children, why as christians we do not celebrate Halloween, they will completely understand. The fact of the matter is kids love candy and dressing up in costumes. Candy and costumes are not evil, they are evil when they are costumes that glorify murder and violence. This is an excellent scripture to support what the Bible teaches. A christian should not have his/her daughter dressed up like a witch, fortune teller, ghost, or fairy, all of this is witchcraft.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Being that Halloween has satanic origins I'll pass. We are not called to be like the world or to try to substitute things of the world so we can make ourselves/our kids feel good.

I didn't always feel this way though. I used to think it was ok if you didn't dress up in a scary costume. But God has opened my eyes. If you really want to know if you should celebrate it or not, pray that God will let you know and then research the history of the "holiday" and what goes on today during the holiday that's more than "trick or treat". If you still think its okay after that then God be with you.

Totally agree!!! As a child Halloween was my favorite time of year, but when I got saved the Lord showed me the true orgins of this time of year and how satanic it truly is.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,762,301 times
When we were kids, did we think about Halloween as "Devils night?"
Did we think that it was a night filled with witch craft, or anything bad?
Of course not! Kids are innocent. Its only put into their little heads that Halloween is a night for non Christians and "those" kind of people.
Give me a break people!
For them, its a couple hours of fun, to get to dress up as a clone trooper, or a princess, or an angel, etc. Its not all about devils and demons.

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 10-02-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 PM

23,044 posts, read 34,527,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Of course not! Kids are innocent. Its only put into their little heads that Halloween is a night for non Christians and "those" kind of people.
Give me a break people!
For them, its a couple hours of fun, to get to dress up as a clone trooper, or a princess, or an angel, etc. Its not all about devils and demons.
This is what Halloween was like for me as a kid, just a fun time to get dressed up and get a lot of candy.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 AM

810 posts, read 1,443,439 times
Quote:
Give me a break people!
When it comes to MY kids I want to teach them correctly and honestly. Whether or not it conjures up good memories from our childhood, no matter how we justify our participation in it, it is still a holiday that opposes christian beliefs.

It irritates me that a holiday such as halloween is packaged into a "fun" disguise and is targeted directly at children. You said it...KIDS ARE INNOCENT. Unfortunately, we put it into their little heads that it's okay to continue a celebration of pagan origin that opposes God because it is fun.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM

396 posts, read 841,237 times
Quote:
When it comes to MY kids I want to teach them correctly and honestly. Whether or not it conjures up good memories from our childhood, no matter how we justify our participation in it, it is still a holiday that opposes christian beliefs.

It irritates me that a holiday such as halloween is packaged into a "fun" disguise and is targeted directly at children. You said it...KIDS ARE INNOCENT. Unfortunately, we put it into their little heads that it's okay to continue a celebration of pagan origin that opposes God because it is fun.
Unfortunately Adults put lots of things into the minds of kids. Intolerance and hatred and predjudice are all on that list as well unfortunately.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:21 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,583,461 times
Quote:

I am on the 'same page' as you....It is very unpopular with most of the world (worldly). My friends 'tolerate' my opinion, and blithely go ahead with all their pagan activities. My closest friends are Christians, but they still "see no harm" in doing these "fun" things.
I am seriously afraid for them.

Also 'kids' are not the only ones who do the costumes and other dumb things connected to the night. If an adult likes dressing in a costume, they can find other times to do so. We used to have what was called 'tacky parties', where the adults would go to the host's house dressed in a costume...but not a gross costume like at Halloween. And it was not at Halloween. It was just a silly fun time.

I am not against having fun, but it does not have to be connected with a pagan observance. I don't care who says they are not doing it in a pagan way....they are still doing it! A rose by any other name is still a rose.

I do not think the stores are going to go down the drain because they do not make a huge profit on costumes and candy! The kids certainly do not need the candy. They have candy all the time.

As for those who think is is a necessary activity for children, I do not recall participating in any such activities, and I do not think it damaged my life any for not doing it. Children (and adults) have been brainwashed to believe it is necessary. It is a another media hype. It sells magazines. Newspapers feed on it.

As others have said...teach your children the truth. They are not stupid,. they can understand if you explain the truth about where Halloween came from, and how contrary it is to God. There is no reason to start them out as toddlers doing these things. YOU are the ones brainwashing them. YOU are doing it for your own pleasure, not theirs. The same goes for dragging the poor screaming babies to set on 'Santa's' lap ! It is for you, not for the child.

Now I will stand back while you throw your rocks!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianinark View Post
i am on the 'same page' as you....it is very unpopular with most of the world (worldly). My friends 'tolerate' my opinion, and blithely go ahead with all their pagan activities. My closest friends are christians, but they still "see no harm" in doing these "fun" things.
I am seriously afraid for them.

Also 'kids' are not the only ones who do the costumes and other dumb things connected to the night. If an adult likes dressing in a costume, they can find other times to do so. We used to have what was called 'tacky parties', where the adults would go to the host's house dressed in a costume...but not a gross costume like at halloween. And it was not at halloween. It was just a silly fun time.

I am not against having fun, but it does not have to be connected with a pagan observance. I don't care who says they are not doing it in a pagan way....they are still doing it! A rose by any other name is still a rose.

I do not think the stores are going to go down the drain because they do not make a huge profit on costumes and candy! The kids certainly do not need the candy. They have candy all the time.

As for those who think is is a necessary activity for children, i do not recall participating in any such activities, and i do not think it damaged my life any for not doing it. Children (and adults) have been brainwashed to believe it is necessary. It is a another media hype. It sells magazines. Newspapers feed on it.

As others have said...teach your children the truth. They are not stupid,. They can understand if you explain the truth about where halloween came from, and how contrary it is to god. There is no reason to start them out as toddlers doing these things. you are the ones brainwashing them. you are doing it for your own pleasure, not theirs. The same goes for dragging the poor screaming babies to set on 'santa's' lap ! It is for you, not for the child.

Now i will stand back while you throw your rocks!

amen!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 PM

42,116 posts, read 75,690,186 times
Quote:
Kids are innocent. Its only put into their little heads that Halloween is a night for non Christians and "those" kind of people.
Yes, by self-righteous adults who can't tell the difference between "paganism" and "satanism."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity