Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I no longer attend church because:
It's too far to travel 2 3.57%
I don't like the music 1 1.79%
I don't like the preacher 3 5.36%
The people aren't very friendly 12 21.43%
Too much talk about money and tithing 10 17.86%
The service is too long 4 7.14%
Too many old people 3 5.36%
Too many young people 0 0%
Too many families and not enough singles 0 0%
Just too lazy to get up and go 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforasafehome View Post
Religion...man made, works like a charm too. Don't question, close your eyes, don't think for yourself, give your money, do good works, maybe your get into heaven, what a terrible way to live your life, in fear of hell, in fear of the unknown...how silly actually.
You sound scared of religion in it's self. Have you tried the Calvary Chapel with Chuck Smith. I feel they are closer to letting us know that sin is natural and that your human and a sin will not direct you to Hell as some churches preach.
I also, feel the closer you draw to God the less you sin. Because, you know he is watching your every move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM

131 posts, read 510,128 times
I love this. I could say so much. I do not attend church and haven't since I was around 15yrs old. I've wanted to over the years but have come to my own spiritual conclusion. Alot of churches practice and preach mainly from the old testament. Although it is a good read we should understand it is the old covenant. The New Testament is the new contract if you will. Think about it. If you make a new contract with someone or a company, do you still follow what is in the old contract, which will hold up in a court of law? the new or the old??
In a church I would like to more acceptance for all. The 2nd most important commandment is love. Matthew 22:34-40
Jesus does not judge! Neither should we. Read John 12:47
If you don't have a bible.You can look it up at biblegateway.com
We should all be striving together to reach that next phase. Jesus states in the bible that "there is so much more I want to tell you, but you can not understand". It is time to find that out. Churches don't seem to care about the next phase. I would like a progressive church. A come as you are church.

Our bodies are a temple. This is written in the bible. Read also Luke 19:45-46

Old 02-11-2007, 06:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
I love this. I could say so much. I do not attend church and haven't since I was around 15yrs old. I've wanted to over the years but have come to my own spiritual conclusion. Alot of churches practice and preach mainly from the old testament. Although it is a good read we should understand it is the old covenant. The New Testament is the new contract if you will. Think about it. If you make a new contract with someone or a company, do you still follow what is in the old contract, which will hold up in a court of law? the new or the old??
In a church I would like to more acceptance for all. The 2nd most important commandment is love. Matthew 22:34-40
Jesus does not judge! Neither should we. Read John 12:47
If you don't have a bible.You can look it up at biblegateway.com
We should all be striving together to reach that next phase. Jesus states in the bible that "there is so much more I want to tell you, but you can not understand". It is time to find that out. Churches don't seem to care about the next phase. I would like a progressive church. A come as you are church.

Our bodies are a temple. This is written in the bible. Read also Luke 19:45-46
Whatalady,
I don't know how old you are, just that you say you haven't been to church since you were 15.

I'm happy to tell you, there are MANY "come as you are" churches! And they do preach from the NT and OT. I hope you consider giving church another try!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
There are some really cool seeker churches that are designed to be non-threatening to people who don't attend church. Depending on where you live you might put a search in google for your area and the phrase "seeker church". Blessings!!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:06 PM

131 posts, read 510,128 times
What is a seeker church? Has anyone watched the movie "The Celestine Prophecy"?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,555 times
Default To Hoosier

I beg to differ with you Hoosier, but only christians can be saved and yes if you are gay you are going to hell!

1 Corinthian 6:9
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders"

also, to be saved and see the Kingdom you must be saved, and to be saved you must be a christian.

obviously a christian is one who believes in God and the Son, and:

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

now wouldnt it be kinda hard to have eternal life and not be a christian.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,555 times
I beg to differ, but only christians can be saved and yes if you are gay you are going to hell!

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders"

also, to be saved and see the Kingdom you must be saved, and to be saved you must be a christian.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Old 02-19-2007, 08:50 AM

613 posts, read 798,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetmopar View Post
I beg to differ, but only christians can be saved and yes if you are gay you are going to hell!

You do not become a "Christian" until you are saved.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Default Religion

I used to believe in things that were "politically correct".

Was raised Catholic and believed there was a God and a man named Jesus, and of course, in a crunch, I prayed to them, like they were Santa.

I also was a Tarot Card Reader, and just thought that if I believed in God and was a "good" person, I'd go to heaven.

No, I did not go to Church because it bored me to death, and I would even take my son to Sunday School and wait outside . . . . . .

But then, I heard a preacher on the radio, and was interested in what he was saying, a few weeks later, was flipping channels and started to listen to Joyce Meyer . . . and little things started to happen.

I used to HATE the term "SAVED", and thought that Christians who were telling me I wasn't a Christian, and were trying to pour the Bible on me were just self-righteous and judgemental . . .

But little by little, my heart started to change, and I don't know why.

I started to read the Bible, started to open my mind and heart, and the next thing I knew, I couldn't get enough of hearing about God, Jesus and what he did for me, even though I was a sinner, and still am,

and through his GRACE, I became SAVED . . . a word I hated, despised and made fun of . . . . but it's truly amazing what has happened in my life since then.

My life is different now because I am to please God, and I fall short everyday, but so much of the old me was changed and stripped away, guess you have to feel it in your heart, and my heart has changed, and I definitely am glad I have a Saviour who loves me, who left heaven to come down and walk in my shoes.

It sounds strange I know, but my Savior Lives, and Loves and is always there for me . . . my God he is, My God He Was, My God he's always gonna be.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up Thank you for sharing that testimony lifesigns64!!

How wonderful!! God has given you a great testimony to share and encourage others. And Joyce Meyers is a excellent teacher of God's Word. Thank you so much for uplifting me with your story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity