Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I no longer attend church because:
It's too far to travel 2 3.57%
I don't like the music 1 1.79%
I don't like the preacher 3 5.36%
The people aren't very friendly 12 21.43%
Too much talk about money and tithing 10 17.86%
The service is too long 4 7.14%
Too many old people 3 5.36%
Too many young people 0 0%
Too many families and not enough singles 0 0%
Just too lazy to get up and go 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 9,617 times

Advertisements

Organized religion is something else. I also Love GOD, and he is almighty, but I don't believe, Jesus was from immaculant conception, I believe he was born to Mary and Joseph, and told to them by GOD he would be his messanger. I do believe Jesus traveled the would and was married to Mary Magdalene, why would GOD, send a single man to preach the laws of marriage, and not be married, or have Maryof Jesus birth appear as Adultery/or unwedded. (big contradictions). The book of revelations was is a Physics vison, not confirmed by Jesus or God. In the new testament, Jesus spoke and GOD spoke, and it was confirmed whom they spoke to and their relationship. 666 we were taught under Baptist/Christianity, King James Version, is the mark of the devil/beast. When it was Nero's address, because his name couldn't be spoken without consequences. Yes, organized religion was used so the State/Church could control the people and profit from them. I believe In GOD ALMIGHTY and his Messanger Jesus, when we die, our spirits go back to GOD, no resurection, as in lying there waiting for the Big Day. I pray all the time, whether I know you or not I pray, I give to Charities that openly help people in time of need/distress, such as TBN/CBN 700 CLUB/RED CROSS/SALVATION ARMY/WORLD VISION/CHILD CARE. These organizations helps to reestablish lives /foundations of family and strengthen faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,212,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizelyn View Post
Organized religion is something else. I also Love GOD, and he is almighty, but I don't believe, Jesus was from immaculant conception, I believe he was born to Mary and Joseph, and told to them by GOD he would be his messanger. I do believe Jesus traveled the would and was married to Mary Magdalene, why would GOD, send a single man to preach the laws of marriage, and not be married, or have Maryof Jesus birth appear as Adultery/or unwedded. (big contradictions). The book of revelations was is a Physics vison, not confirmed by Jesus or God. In the new testament, Jesus spoke and GOD spoke, and it was confirmed whom they spoke to and their relationship. 666 we were taught under Baptist/Christianity, King James Version, is the mark of the devil/beast. When it was Nero's address, because his name couldn't be spoken without consequences. Yes, organized religion was used so the State/Church could control the people and profit from them. I believe In GOD ALMIGHTY and his Messanger Jesus, when we die, our spirits go back to GOD, no resurection, as in lying there waiting for the Big Day. I pray all the time, whether I know you or not I pray, I give to Charities that openly help people in time of need/distress, such as TBN/CBN 700 CLUB/RED CROSS/SALVATION ARMY/WORLD VISION/CHILD CARE. These organizations helps to reestablish lives /foundations of family and strengthen faith.

I think you've been reading to many fiction books and not the Bible!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM

613 posts, read 799,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I used to believe in things that were "politically correct".

Was raised Catholic and believed there was a God and a man named Jesus, and of course, in a crunch, I prayed to them, like they were Santa.

I also was a Tarot Card Reader, and just thought that if I believed in God and was a "good" person, I'd go to heaven.

No, I did not go to Church because it bored me to death, and I would even take my son to Sunday School and wait outside . . . . . .

But then, I heard a preacher on the radio, and was interested in what he was saying, a few weeks later, was flipping channels and started to listen to Joyce Meyer . . . and little things started to happen.

I used to HATE the term "SAVED", and thought that Christians who were telling me I wasn't a Christian, and were trying to pour the Bible on me were just self-righteous and judgemental . . .

But little by little, my heart started to change, and I don't know why.

I started to read the Bible, started to open my mind and heart, and the next thing I knew, I couldn't get enough of hearing about God, Jesus and what he did for me, even though I was a sinner, and still am,

and through his GRACE, I became SAVED . . . a word I hated, despised and made fun of . . . . but it's truly amazing what has happened in my life since then.

My life is different now because I am to please God, and I fall short everyday, but so much of the old me was changed and stripped away, guess you have to feel it in your heart, and my heart has changed, and I definitely am glad I have a Saviour who loves me, who left heaven to come down and walk in my shoes.

It sounds strange I know, but my Savior Lives, and Loves and is always there for me . . . my God he is, My God He Was, My God he's always gonna be.

What a wonderful testimony! May God continue to bless you

Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times
Smile Church?

Hello all,

I'm Nick From england, hope i'm not intruding, I think the original question is very intresting. But before we can really answer it we need to understand what we mean by 'Church.' At the present time i don't attend a local congregation and therefore many christians assume i've left 'church.' But i haven't, I'm Still a bible believing Christian, and am, therefore, a member of the body of christ.
So how do i exist without losing my faith and running dry spritually? Well i still have many Christian friends, some who attend 'congregations' and some who don't. I meet often with these people, not in any organised way, and just through being with them i find that we have 'fellowship' in a very real way there's no 'i'm doing fine' just real honesty. As for teaching some comes from personal study some from conversations etc.
Anyway i could carry on for ages and i'm happy to answer questions but i guess what i'm saying is that we need to ask the right questions, not how can we get you to come back, but how can we support and encourage you where you are. It might not get you bums on seats but it might help grow the kingdom (Gods) rather than the empire (Mens). some people will never 'go to church' for whatever reason but it doesn't mean that they can't enter the kingdom. we've seen reformations in Theology and Spirituality over the last 500 years of Church History, maybe it's time for a reformation of Strucuture (Away from a 'constantine' struture to a more 'biblical' stucture)

Anyway hope that helps, i'm happy to answer questions

Nick Wells
U.K

Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,444,042 times
OH goodness, church people are just plain old mean and nosey!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:28 PM

23,043 posts, read 34,522,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Not ALL of us are.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:42 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,217 posts, read 6,807,896 times
Default PghPaNative, you're certainly entitled to your opinion

and the nicer more politically correct people on here would say "Oh, I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences with the church and the people who go there . Maybe try another church, because they're not all that way ."

I on the other hand, do not like it when posters make all inclusive statements, because I find the statements 'inflammatory' and just not true. In the world of blogging, it's called 'trolling'. People who post only to cause trouble and incite others. I'm seeing this alot now on CD and wondering if it's turning into a chat room, instead of a place for information .

Not everyone who goes to church is mean and nosey . Maybe that has been 'your' experience and of course, as such, you're entitled to state it. So why exactly did you post here and how is your statement supposed to be of help? I assume you wouldn't want people on CD to 'generalize' that all folks from PA are rude because of your post .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post

Old 03-17-2007, 04:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,818,621 times
I go to church. Church helps me stay connected with other Christians. I don't believe all churches are serving Christ. Some have a religious spirit in them. Religion to me is not the same as true Christianity.

I believe to be a true Christian you have to be saved. You have to accept Jesus as your personal savior and believe in Him and ask forgiveness for your sins.

There are many people who go to church who aren't saved. The scary part is some believe by going to church that makes you Christian.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM

118 posts, read 420,419 times
I haven't officially left any church, I just go when I please. I just can't seem to find a church that fits me. I hate megachurches because they focus on entertainment but I don't really like traditional worship because it doesn't engage me. I just don't know what really fits me anymore. Plus I also don't believe that anyone has it right when it comes to true Christianity anymore.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 PM

314 posts, read 2,545,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonic1 View Post
Check out the Alpha program in your area. It's for those who question Christianity and faith.

The rest is up to you. No pressure to believe anything.
I am a former evangelical Atheist, meaning I enjoyed spreading the "bad news." When I was invited to attend an Alpha course 5 years ago, I was licking my chops!! You mean a place where I could freely discuss why I don't believe in God with people that do? SIGN ME UP!!! So I went, and I was able to talk about why I did not believe, and also learned why they believed. After the course was over, I thought, "maybe there's something to this God thing" and became Agnostic. a few months later, Alpha was starting up again, and I decided to go again. This time I looked at the evidence closer, and found that Christianity is not a blind faith at all. That there was evidence to back it up. I am now an evangelical Christian who loves spreading the "good news!!!"

If you are seeking, or you don't really know why you believe, find an Alpha course near you:

http://www.alphausa.org/courses/search.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity