Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I no longer attend church because:
It's too far to travel 2 3.57%
I don't like the music 1 1.79%
I don't like the preacher 3 5.36%
The people aren't very friendly 12 21.43%
Too much talk about money and tithing 10 17.86%
The service is too long 4 7.14%
Too many old people 3 5.36%
Too many young people 0 0%
Too many families and not enough singles 0 0%
Just too lazy to get up and go 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,769,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
There are more 'empire builders' in this area than I can count.

I don't want a preacher that doesn't know who I am when I see him in public. I want a preacher that knows me by name, knows my problems, and has a personal relationship with me. If his church is so large that the preacher doesn't know the members of his congregation how is he going to help them?

If I want someone to do nothing but read scripture to me I can find other ways to get that accomplished.
I get what you're saying, but a Pastor can't do it all alone! That's why there are Associate Pastors. And in any church, the Priest/Pastor/Rev. is going to know well the members who are active. I belong to a fairly large congregation with 4 services-each one completely full. I'm relatively new there. Still, the Pastor and 3 Associate Pastors know my whole family. We get involved. Otherwise, we'd just be faces in the crowd. That's what I meant when I said we are there to serve, not to be served. The preacher leads the church, but we have our own responsibilities, as well.

I know, however, that many people just feel more comfortable in a small, intimate, setting. I used to feel that way, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 09:29 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,212,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherof1 View Post
I am very interested in being a Christian, believing that Jesus Christ died for our sins. That being said, What about the neanderthals? dinosaurs? Was the earth here for a while before God created us and animals? Who was Cain's wife and where did she come from? I was wondering if anyone had a response to these questions...Thank you
Motherof1, you can e-mail or PM me and I would be happy to help.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Wow, MoMark we agree a lot I hear you. Good post. Esp. "Few churches nowadays speak the truth or address it."

Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
What about the neanderthals? dinosaurs?
Check out http://www.answersingenesis.org/ http://www.icr.org/ http://www.godandscience.org/

Quote:
Was the earth here for a while before God created us and animals?
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." (Genesis 1:1) after six days, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." (Genesis 1:26)

Quote:
Who was Cain's wife and where did she come from?
The Bible does not say. But, we are told after Eve had Cain and Abel, "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD." (Genesis 4:3)

Just how long was, "process of time it came to pass..."? could have been months or years.

Then again we are told, "And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him." (Genesis 4:8)

There it is again how long, months years? it must have been some time. Now God says, "...And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him." (Genesis 4:15) it is anticipated that there are others out there. It is quite reasonable that Eve had other Children and Cain might have taken a sister which was not uncommon back then. (See Genesis 20:12)

Hope that helps.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,412,410 times
You can find answers to just about any question imaginable here: http://www.livingwaters.com/witnessingtool/browse.shtml

That is a great website if your a Christian or a seeker.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,217 posts, read 6,807,896 times
Default I absolutely love Joel Osteen's preaching and also Kerry Shook

from Church of the Woodlands outside of Houston. If I wasn't so darned scared of bugs and humidity, I would move to the Houston area in a heartbeat because I've seen so many cool churches there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
IThere are a few preachers that I like, one of them being Joel Osteen. Whenever he is on, I tune in and listen. He really connects to people and keeps my interest, the priests down here bore me. If I lived in Houston, then yes I would go to his church (Lakewood).

Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 PM

143 posts, read 174,998 times
Thank you for the site information...but, I still haven't found what I am looking for. Any time I find info. on Neanderthals, it is how science says they are our ancestors. And then these answer sites show how our DNA isn't similar and so on. I don't believe we came from apes...but there is proof that Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons were on this earth at some point. In creationism, when was that? Are they considered animals or beasts? Are they like dinosaurs and simply weren't mentioned in the bible because they don't pertain to us and maybe God created them before man as an experiment? Let me know your ideas and thoughts about the order of these things....Thank you

Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM

431 posts, read 396,653 times
Quote:
I am very interested in being a Christian, believing that Jesus Christ died for our sins. That being said, What about the neanderthals? dinosaurs? Was the earth here for a while before God created us and animals? Who was Cain's wife and where did she come from? I was wondering if anyone had a response to these questions...Thank you

The Bible doesn't tell us exactly about Cain's wife. In Genesis 4: 16-17 it states, "And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bore Enoch: and he built a city, and he called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch."

It doesn't say when Cain went, and it's a hard question to answer, if not impossible to answer. We do know that Adam and Eve were the only 2 people created. We know they had many sons and many daughters and they lived for hundreds of years. Possibly there was marriage between siblings in the beginning??

One day we'll get to ask God ourselves :-)

Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 PM

431 posts, read 396,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
O really? Can you provide the book, chapter, and verse for that?

Again, what is the "house of the Lord"? the brick and stone building on the corner? No, I don't think so. It is the people--believers.
Let me re-state that: The Bible does NOT tell us specifically what the age of accountability is. For most, the Jewish teaching that if a child has not reached the point that he or she can make a decision for or against Jesus then when they die, they would be welcomed into Heaven, is accepted as being around 12 or 13.

A "church" is wherever 2 or more are gathered.

(Sheesh! Theology police??)

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM

613 posts, read 799,986 times
It has always been my understanding that the age of accountability is different for each individual. For example....a "special person" will automatically be welcomed in the loving arms of Jesus.....as would a "slow" or retarded say...29 year old man/woman. Accountability from what I understand, is the point to which a person fully understands what becoming a Christian is all about. Be it 5 or 15. Being convicted and doing nothing about it, is denying it. But being convicted of the holy spirit and accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior whether you are 5, 10 or 15 is to me what being accountable is. Knowing what to do and either doing it, or not doing it to me is the definition of accountability. Very hard for me to put into words what I am trying to say. You can be 34 like my husband, and never went to church....knew nothing about the bible, etc.....never heard the gospel, the Roman Road, etc......and I believe the Lord knows who they are, the ones who have never been subjected to the word and I believe he most likely takes care of those......on the other hand, if my DH had ever known what it took to become a Christian, but never professed his faith and accepted, well then, that would be another story. Glad to say, after meeting and dating me for 4 years and going to church and hearing the gospel...he accepted Jesus when he was 35! Praise God! SO I think the age of accountability varies depending on the circumstance of the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity