Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2022, 01:51 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-5 View Post
Jhn 7:24, Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

What is righteous judgment jbf? An infinite life sentence with no chance of parole for a finite crime? How is that any different than getting a life sentence here on Earth for a speeding ticket? You cry judgement all the time yet do not care if this judgment is no where close to being fair or just. You keep saying I need to point out to people they are sinners. Really? Wasn't that John the Baptists job? YOUR job is to claim that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, the only name to call upon. It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict people of sin it is not your job.
People are cast into the lake of fire not for specific sins that they have committed; but because they are irreparably sinners.

In not receiving Christ during their lifetime and being born again, they reject the only provision for their sin nature to be dealt with.

Because their sin nature has not been dealt with, they will be sinners throughout eternity (see Revelation 16:9-11).

So, God, being just, will be punishing their sin throughout eternity.

That is, in fact, justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
- calling someone a fool -> GEHENNA. Its not "hell fire"; that is a biased translation.
No...your translations that say what you want it to say are biased.

And what is the difference between Gehenna and hell fire?

Does not Gehenna = hell fire in the meaning that was originally attributed to it?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,126,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post

No...your translations that say what you want it to say are biased.

And what is the difference between Gehenna and hell fire?

Does not Gehenna = hell fire in the meaning that was originally attributed to it?
Gehenna literally means Valley of Hinnom.

This place here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Hinnom_(Gehenna)

It was referenced by Jesus figuratively as it was well known as an undesirable garbage dump where garbage was burned and criminal's bodies were thrown. The Valley of Hinnom also had a bad reputation as that is where child sacrifice in fire was practiced to the pagan god Molech.

Jesus was using metaphor and hyperbole to reference judgment - cutting out your eye, cutting off your hand. Symbolically that meant cutting out the parts of your character & behavior that were causing you to sin. No one physically cuts out their eye or their hand.

To be sent there would be a sign of great disrespect, as you would lack a proper burial and would be thrown out with the trash.

Now Jesus' story would make no sense if being angry or calling someone Raca (an insult) only meant judgment by peers (or a council), but calling someone a fool (another insult) meant eternal torture in hell.

So tell me why the KJV translators decided to put "hellfire" instead of "Gehenna"? It would have been much clearer. But no, they were pushing a bias.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:

This place here:

It was referenced by Jesus figuratively as it was well known as an undesirable garbage dump where garbage was burned and criminal's bodies were thrown. The Valley of Hinnom also had a bad reputation as that is where child sacrifice in fire was practiced to the pagan god Molech.

Jesus was using metaphor and hyperbole to reference judgment - cutting out your eye, cutting off your hand. Symbolically that meant cutting out the parts of your character & behavior that were causing you to sin. No one physically cuts out their eye or their hand.

To be sent there would be a sign of great disrespect, as you would lack a proper burial and would be thrown out with the trash.

Now Jesus' story would make no sense if being angry or calling someone Raca (an insult) only meant judgment by peers (or a council), but calling someone a fool (another insult) meant eternal torture in hell.

So tell me why the KJV translators decided to put "hellfire" instead of "Gehenna"? It would have been much clearer. But no, they were pushing a bias.
In Jesus' day Gehenna represented perpetual burning...which was also His intent in using that terminology...to convey that idea to the people that He was speaking to.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
In Jesus' day Gehenna represented perpetual burning...which was also His intent in using that terminology...to convey that idea to the people that He was speaking to.
As usual, you ignore the bulk of what I wrote.

Tell me why does insulting someone "RACA" invoke the judgment of the council, but insulting someone by calling them "FOOL" mean you are in danger of eternal torture in hell?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:22 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:

Tell me why does insulting someone "RACA" invoke the judgment of the council, but insulting someone by calling them "FOOL" mean you are in danger of eternal torture in hell?
The first is a venial sin, and the second is mortal. Or as John calls them in 1 John 5, a sin that does not lead to death vs. a sin that leads to death.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry that I don't have the answer to every question.

I assume that you have an answer by which you are going to attempt to promote your doctrine?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that I don't have the answer to every question.

I assume that you have an answer by which you are going to attempt to promote your doctrine?
I already answered it but you didn't read it. Its hard to have a discussion when you don't READ.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The first is a venial sin, and the second is mortal. Or as John calls them in 1 John 5, a sin that does not lead to death vs. a sin that leads to death.
I'm not sure where you are getting that.

But the way I see it is explained in the next few verses by Jesus.

Its better to resolve your disputes quickly, otherwise they could escalate and get worse, and could potentially lead to death (for if you were thrown into the valley, its because you were dead, or soon to be).

Matt 5
25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I already answered it but you didn't read it. Its hard to have a discussion when you don't READ.
But you basically said that Jesus' story makes no sense.

Quote:

This place here:

Because it should be clear that Jesus taught that calling someone raca would only result in danger of the council while calling someone a fool would put someone in danger of hell fire.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:40 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you are getting that.

But the way I see it is explained in the next few verses by Jesus.

Its better to resolve your disputes quickly, otherwise they could escalate and get worse, and could potentially lead to death (for if you were thrown into the valley, its because you were dead, or soon to be).

Matt 5
25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.
This is consistent with what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity