Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 07:02 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What is unceasingly fascinating to me JAA2310, is that you totally ignore Jesus' promise of a guide (well, hey, He only said it three times according to the book you pretend to follow) but you quote the passage concerning searching the scriptures but leave off the conclusion about failing to come to the one the scripture speaks of. You seem to have a blind spot a mile wide. That blind spot seems to be labeled "Sola Scriptura," one of those "doctrines of men."

Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
The whole of created life shall be delivered...

Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And that's good for discussion and theological argument--to a point, as long as you leave it to theological discussion.

But the Bible as a legal system is the PROBLEM. Thinking that way gets in the way of a deeper spirituality.
Sometimes makes we wonder how we have no fundamentalist Christian societies with Christian law, like we do with some other religions- without going into detail. (hint Saudi Arabia etc).
On the OP, Universalism is always going to be at odds with Evangelical and Fundamentalist Christianity that endorses eternal punishment in Hell.
It undermines just about everything they stand for, and the topic is hence completely banned on many Evangelical Christian sites.
For the record I stand somewhere in the middle, of complete Universalism and not so at all, as a sort of a halfway house between the two.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,021,446 times
Quote:
What is unceasingly fascinating to me JAA2310, is that you totally ignore Jesus' promise of a guide (well, hey, He only said it three times according to the book you pretend to follow) but you quote the passage concerning searching the scriptures but leave off the conclusion about failing to come to the one the scripture speaks of. You seem to have a blind spot a mile wide. That blind spot seems to be labeled "Sola Scriptura," one of those "doctrines of men."

"He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPGHVFAEGk

Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Sometimes makes we wonder how we have no fundamentalist Christian societies with Christian law, like we do with some other religions- without going into detail. (hint Saudi Arabia etc).
On the OP, Universalism is always going to be at odds with Evangelical and Fundamentalist Christianity that endorses eternal punishment in Hell.
It undermines just about everything they stand for, and the topic is hence completely banned on many Evangelical Christian sites.
For the record I stand somewhere in the middle, of complete Universalism and not so at all, as a sort of a halfway house between the two.
This forum is where I learned about this belief system so I'm not sure how much the posters here represents the whole but from what you can see here it appears to be a very angry religion that demands converts on par with anything else. It is not a live and let live faith.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
This forum is where I learned about this belief system so I'm not sure how much the posters here represents the whole but from what you can see here it appears to be a very angry religion that demands converts on par with anything else. It is not a live and let live faith.
So, gabfest, you object to the idea that anyone require that we look for truth because there really is no such thing?

Old 07-01-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
So, gabfest, you object to the idea that anyone require that we look for truth because there really is no such thing?
I object to religions and worldviews that are not live and let live. Everyone cannot pretend to believe the same as everyone else, no matter how much you attempt to berate them into submission.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I object to religions and worldviews that are not live and let live. Everyone cannot pretend to believe the same as everyone else, no matter how much you attempt to berate them into submission.
And when a member of one of those religions claims to have the truth we should not require that they defend their assertion ?

Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I think there's a simple answer to that. Fundamentalism is largely an American phenomenon. However, since no state religion can be established here, people are free to reject it. Do you not think that there are many fundamentalists who would gladly toss out the Constitution and make their version of Christianity law if they had the chance?

Old 07-01-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
And when a member of one of those religions claims to have the truth we should not require that they defend their assertion ?
Almost everyone who was classifies their belief believes they have truth... people generally nod at them and move onto the next...that's how you live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity