Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 03:18 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
It's not really about being critical of translators, per se, (they all have jobs to do, and some do their jobs better than others), nor is it about thinking I know better than they, but rather being mindful of the short comings inherent in a translator's work and to make diligent comparisons of what they produce. This should be encouraged I would think.
I agree in part, but I find that it is in the erroneous interpretations, and not the translations, where the greater problem occurs.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,021,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Yes, I've noticed these type of translation differences too. The mere change of simple words such as "at" vs "in" often will change the very dynamics of the text. Even the position of a comma in the structure of a sentence (of which there are none in the original Greek) can have a dramatic effect on how the text is read and understood.

Shortly after calling on Jesus for salvation (I was a young teen at the time), the Holy Spirit impressed upon me the need to compare the Greek texts against the translations I was reading from. At that time I was using Marshall's Greek / English interlinear to compare with the KJV in it's margins and the NASB and ASV translations I had. Too many differences to even list . But what a blessing it was to me.
My brother: This walk of union within the Christ is what at-one-ment encompasses. The entire push/ draw is one of becoming one with Him. The grasp of the koine will not accomplish this amazing transfer of His Name to encompass us, but it is a wonderful resource.

I was only 15 when this wonderful process began for me 64 years ago in a little Gospel church with the word Hope in its name. That HOPE still burns like a fire in my bones. Hopefully complete implosion is around the next bend for Rosey!

You have been a remarkable poster. It is a pleasure reading your posts!

Old 10-28-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL. You believe a donkey spoke Hebrew and a dude lived inside a giant fish for 3 days.

But you don't believe in fairy tales.
I had a wonderful old dog. Seventeen years we were together, and that dog could communicate with me. Each different bark told me if there was a snake in the vicinity, a stranger, a friend, or some impending danger. It could even tell me when a certain member of my family, who suffered from epilepsy, was about to go into a fit. That dog was my best mate for seventeen years and could communicate with me mentally, not verbally.

According to Numbers 22: 30, Balaam had ridden that donkey all his life, and there would undoubtedly have been a strong bond between the two, and Balaam, would have been able to read the signs given by his animal of burden.

How big do the Blue whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale (Blue whale) was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed, or sucked in through its single blow hole, could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside a sick animal for three days, until it finally washed up dead on some shoreline.

Blue whales are the largest animals ever known to have lived on Earth. These magnificent marine mammals rule the oceans at up to 100 feet (30 meters) long and upwards of 200 tons (181 metric tons). Their tongues alone can weigh as much as an adult female elephant. Their hearts, as much as an automobile.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:54 AM

The Restitution of all things is not a new fangled expression of the modern age. Rather, the great mystery has been grasped in every age by one's who have been awakened to see and know the wonder of it all.

The Recognition of Universal Reconciliation - Part 3

Old 10-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
The Restitution of all things is not a new fangled expression of the modern age. Rather, the great mystery has been grasped in every age by one's who have been awakened to see and know the wonder of it all.

The Recognition of Universal Reconciliation - Part 3
Correct! The Restitution of all things is not a new fangled expression of the modern age. It was expressed over 2,000 years ago by he who sat on the throne, of who it is said in Revelation 21: 5-8; “And now I make all things new!” He also said to me, “WRITE THIS, BECAUSE THESE WORDS ARE TRUE AND CAN BE TRUSTED.” And he said, “It is done! I am the first and the last, the beginning and the end. To anyone who is thirsty I will give the right to drink from the spring of the water of life without paying for it. Those who win the victory will receive this from me: I will be their God, and they will be my children. But cowards, traitors, perverts, murderers, the immoral, those who practise magic, those who worship idols, and all liars — the place for them is the lake burning with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.”

Perhaps one day Rosy, you also will be awoken to the truth as revealed in the Holy Scriptures of our Lord God and savior.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:03 AM

Welcome to the greatest news ever heard.

Our Father Abba loves us. He is not against us, He is for us. His steadfast love NEVER ceases. It is new every morning and is bathed in faithful. "The whole of created life, the ta panta, "shall be delivered."

The Recognition of Universal Reconciliation - Part 1

Old 10-30-2020, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Welcome to the greatest news ever heard.

Our Father Abba loves us. He is not against us, He is for us. His steadfast love NEVER ceases. It is new every morning and is bathed in faithful. "The whole of created life, the ta panta, "shall be delivered."

The Recognition of Universal Reconciliation - Part 1
Are you a member of the Worldwide Church of God, a religious group that claimed to be the only genuine form of Christianity in the world, which church underwent a complete theological makeover after its founder, Hebert W Armstrong, died in 1986.

And do you adhere to their beliefs, or is the now dead Ernest Martin, a member of Herbert W Armstrong's World Wide Church, just another of the randomly selected so-called biblical experts, who you quote from?

You quote from so many so-called biblical experts, from so many different religious beliefs, your brain must be so mixed up and set as hard as concrete, one would need a sledge Hammer to crack it open and let the light of God's truth shine in.

Last edited by The Anointed; 10-30-2020 at 02:51 AM..

Old 10-30-2020, 08:00 AM

Exceedingly wonderful news.

Our Father Abba loves us. He is not against us, He is for us. His steadfast love NEVER ceases. It is new every morning and is bathed in faithful. "The whole of created life (ta panta) shall be delivered."

Are our broadest hopes broad enough?

Shall there be a nook or abyss, in all the universe of God, finally unlightened by the Cross?

Shall there be a sin, or sorrow, or pain unhealed?

Is the very universe, is creation in all its extent, a field wide enough for the Son of God?

Far as the curse is found !

Old 10-30-2020, 08:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
I had a wonderful old dog. Seventeen years we were together, and that dog could communicate with me. Each different bark told me if there was a snake in the vicinity, a stranger, a friend, or some impending danger. It could even tell me when a certain member of my family, who suffered from epilepsy, was about to go into a fit. That dog was my best mate for seventeen years and could communicate with me mentally, not verbally.

According to Numbers 22: 30, Balaam had ridden that donkey all his life, and there would undoubtedly have been a strong bond between the two, and Balaam, would have been able to read the signs given by his animal of burden.

How big do the Blue whales get? In 1933 a sulfur bottom whale (Blue whale) was caught off the coast of cape cod it was 100 ft long and had a mouth over 10 foot wide. A man who was unfortunate enough to be swallowed, or sucked in through its single blow hole, could take refuge in any one of the whales stomach chambers, or the large cranial cavities (extensions of the nasal sinus) which measure 7 feet high, 7ft wide and 14 ft long. More than big enough for a man to hide safely inside a sick animal for three days, until it finally washed up dead on some shoreline.

Blue whales are the largest animals ever known to have lived on Earth. These magnificent marine mammals rule the oceans at up to 100 feet (30 meters) long and upwards of 200 tons (181 metric tons). Their tongues alone can weigh as much as an adult female elephant. Their hearts, as much as an automobile.
Absolutely ludicrous.

A fish' stomach acids will dissolve metal hooks in a few days. They would strip the skin off a human within minutes. In a couple of days they would be a puddle of bones and gelatin.

Further proof the bible should only be read by educated, mature adults who have more than a nodding acquaintance with reality.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Absolutely ludicrous.
Yup ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity