Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,021,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
LOL - that youtube had to stop at round 3 min cuz of laughing ...paraphrase:
You hear about a bright light, well any bright light you could imagine is like a black hole
compared to the light
he saw....hahaha what a GREAT way to put it!
Thanks, Rose2Luv.
Miss Hepburn: Death is no laughing matter, however....

"God never said the journey would be easy, but He did say the arrival would be worthwhile." -Max Lucado

Old 10-26-2020, 07:21 AM

1,091 posts, read 277,933 times
A very long thread that I've not read all the way through it. It seems the differences of thought are really centered on what is being saved (the UR's position) and what is being lost (the ET'ers position).

Is it possible that both views are actually correct? Simply one side emphasizing their position over the other?

In other words, the spirit of man (the candle of the Lord, the breath of God, etc.) is not really at risk of condemnation or being "lost" as it were, and is "saved" by it's very nature, being of God. The natural man (the flesh, the carnal nature within) is, or will be, condemned or lost, being of it's nature, from the earth.

And this really sounds like a pretty good thing to me. That our soul is, or can be, liberated from the flesh in this world through faith in Christ, or when standing at the judgement seat by Christ.

Last edited by jjGuru; 10-26-2020 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For a Christian, that is why Jesus endured what He did and was reborn on His death as the Holy Spirit to reside with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."

John 14:16-18 King James Version (KJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

"God is at home, it's we who have gone out for a walk." -Meister Eckhart

Old 10-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
A very long thread that I've not read all the way through it.

I have read shorter books. Welcome to the link and C..D.

Questions ? ?

Can the pleasure of the Almighty God be contrary to His determined will?

Would the infliction of endless misery afford pleasure to the Lord & why?

Can God be glorified by that which gives Him no pleasure?

God "declares the end from the beginning," can the final destiny of mankind be contrary to His will?

Can endless misery be brought about contrary to the good pleasure of the Almighty?

Can God will anything contrary to His knowledge?

Old 10-26-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

I have read shorter books. Welcome to the link and C..D.

Questions ? ?

Can the pleasure of the Almighty God be contrary to His determined will?

Would the infliction of endless misery afford pleasure to the Lord & why?

Can God be glorified by that which gives Him no pleasure?

God "declares the end from the beginning," can the final destiny of mankind be contrary to His will?

Can endless misery be brought about contrary to the good pleasure of the Almighty?

Can God will anything contrary to His knowledge?

Thanks for the welcome
I'm pretty sure all the answers to your questions would be "no". However, that still leaves us with Christ having to separate the sheep from the goats parable (the souls spirit from it's flesh nature) and casting that which works the iniquity (the flesh nature, the goat if you will as opposed to the spirit, the sheep) into outer darkness and condemnation where it remains forever. Right?

This in my mind is all very good for the soul (comprised of the nations that stand before him in judgement). To the souls dividing of it's spirit and flesh. The very separation that believers are called to do, but perhaps unwilling or unable to accomplish in this world, and what unbelievers are simply unable to do will be performed for them both, by Christ, in judgement.
This is a good thing, right?

Last edited by jjGuru; 10-26-2020 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome
I'm pretty sure all the answers to your questions would be "no". However, that still leaves us with Christ having to separate the sheep from the goats parable (the souls spirit from it's flesh nature) and casting that which works the iniquity (the flesh nature, the goat if you will as opposed to the spirit, the sheep) into outer darkness and condemnation where it remains forever. Right?

This in my mind is all very good for the soul (comprised of the nations that stand before him in judgement). To the souls dividing of it's spirit and flesh. The very separation that believers are called to do, but perhaps unwilling or unable to accomplish in this world, and what unbelievers are simply unable to do will be performed for them both, by Christ, in judgement.
This is a good thing, right?

Every aspect of our God leads to His good pleasure. Both the sheep and the goats are clean animals, not one clean and the other unclean. This is where the magnificent judgments of our God begin, leading to the entire broken mass of the children of Adam1 changed and transformed. Not one area of created life is unchanged in the heavens earth & underworld, everything made new within the Creator!

The judgments of the Lord are indeed a good thing, the very foundation by which reconciliation of the all is accomplished.

God is the Source, Guide, Goal of the all/ ta panta.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Every aspect of our God leads to His good pleasure. Both the sheep and the goats are clean animals, not one clean and the other unclean. This is where the magnificent judgments of our God begin, leading to the entire broken mass of the children of Adam1 changed and transformed. Not one area of created life is unchanged in the heavens earth & underworld, everything made new within the Creator!

The judgments of the Lord are indeed a good thing, the very foundation by which reconciliation of the all is accomplished.

God is the Source, Guide, Goal of the all/ ta panta.

I see what you're saying. But I'm not sure that the two nations, sheep and goats (or rather the Kingdoms of the soul if you will) share the same outcome in judgement. It does not appear that way from reading the parable at least.

IOW, the soul, having been subjected to corruption through the vanity of the flesh (the goat), will now be released from that flesh nature to live according to the spirit (the sheep). That soul, having been subjected to a life of vanity is now released from it's oppressor, the flesh forever. That is, from the flesh that would not feed the soul, visit the soul, clothe the soul, etc., in it's time of need.

Just my own thoughts on this. Anyway, an interesting topic.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:39 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying. But I'm not sure that the two nations, sheep and goats (or rather the Kingdoms of the soul if you will) share the same outcome in judgement. It does not appear that way from reading the parable at least.

IOW, the soul, having been subjected to corruption through the vanity of the flesh (the goat), will now be released from that flesh nature to live according to the spirit (the sheep). That soul, having been subjected to a life of vanity is now released from it's oppressor, the flesh forever. That is, from the flesh that would not feed the soul, visit the soul, clothe the soul, etc., in it's time of need.

It becomes less confusing if you stop thinking we are all sheep or all goat. We are a combination and only those parts of us that are goat will have a different fate as we are saved as by fire but our works, whether goat or sheep, will be tested and accepted or refined out as dross. I tend to look at it as a function of what we invest our life energy into - sheep (Spirit) or goat (Flesh) investments.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I have a dear friend who has taken over 20 years translating the koine Greek into his N.T. Translation. He also has written of the sheep and goats of Matt. 25. which is worthy of contemplating.

Jonathan Mitchell

http://greater-emmanuel.org/jm/sheepgoats.htm

Dr. Wm. Barclay

https://stjohnoneone.com/2017/06/12/...lliam-barclay/

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 10-26-2020 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It becomes less confusing if you stop thinking we are all sheep or all goat. We are a combination and only those parts of us that are goat will have a different fate as we are saved as by fire but our works, whether goat or sheep, will be tested and accepted or refined out as dross. I tend to look at it as a function of what we invest our life energy into - sheep (Spirit) or goat (Flesh) investments.
Interesting way of seeing the parable. My thinking is that man's spirit, being the breath of God, or rather the candle of the Lord that searches out the deep things of the soul, reports back to God, if you will, on why the soul does what it does. The flesh and it's nature continues doing what it wants and living the way it wants in complete defiance to the spirit and the needs of the soul. The soul seems to stand in a schism between the two competing natures (or Kingdoms), but only listens to the desires of the flesh until born of the Spirit. Standing similar in the divide between the rich man and Lazarus parable.

I'm not sure the sheep or goats will actually be tested though, but I think both will be judged (according to the parable) by how they dealt with the soul. And the soul will most likely be tested on how it interacted with the flesh and spirit.

Last edited by jjGuru; 10-26-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity