Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 12:41 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Aionios does not translate as ETERNAL - that would be Aidios.

Matthew 25:46

And these will depart into eternal (aionion) punishment, but the righteous into eternal (aionion) life."

One will undergo a period of correction (punishment, chastisement), while the other has life, it doesn't mean that one, or the other will no longer continue to exist. See if you can wrap your mind around that without wearing the blinders of ETERNAL (AIDIOS) damnation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Canon F.W. Farrar: “Aeonian”

“Of all the arguments on this question, the one which appears to me the most absolutely and hopelessly futile, is the one in which so many seem to rest with entire content; viz. that “eternal or aeonian life” must mean endless life, and therefore that “aeonian chastisement” must mean “endless chastisement.”

This battered and aged argument, . . . if it had possessed a particle of cogency, would not have been set aside as entirely valueless by such minds as those of Origen and the two Gregorie's in ancient days, nor by multitudes in the days of St. Augustine and St. Jerome, nor by the most brilliant thinker among the schoolmen, nor by many of our greatest living divines . . . .

No proposition is capable of more simple proof than that aeonian is not a synonym of endless.

It only means, or can mean, in its primary sense, pertaining to an aeon, and therefore “indefinite,” since an aeon may be either long or short; and in its secondary sense “spiritual,” “pertaining to the unseen world,” "an attribute of that which is above and beyond time,” an attribute expressive not of duration but of quality.

Can such an explanation of the word be denied by any competent or thoughtful reader of John 5:39; 6:54; 17:3; 1 John 5:13,20? Would not the introduction of the word “endless” into those Divine utterances be an unspeakable degradation of their meaning?

And as for the argument that the redeemed would thus lose their promised bliss, it is at once so unscriptural and so selfish that, after what Mr. Cox and others have said of it, one may hope that no one will ever be able to use it again without a blush.

I cannot here diverge into a discussion with Bishop Wordsworth and Canon Ryle, whose sermons need some adversaria rather longer than I can here devote to them; but as they both dwell on the fact that people who spoke Greek interpreted aionios to mean endless, I reply that some of the greatest masters of Greek, both in classical times and among the Fathers, saw quite clearly that, though the word might connote endlessness by being attributively added to endless things, it had in itself no such meaning.

I cannot conceive how any candid mind can deny the force of these considerations. If even Origenist's would freely speak of future punishment as aionios but never as ateleutetos [without end] –– if, as even these papers have shown, Plato uses the word as the antithesis of endlessness –– if St. Gregory of Nyssa uses it as the epithet of “an interval” –– if, as though to leave this Augustinian argument without the faintest shadow of a foundation, there are absolutely two passages of Scripture (Hab.3:6 and Rom.16:25,26) where the very word occurs in two consecutive clauses, and is, in the second of the two clauses, applied to God, and yet is, in the first of the two clauses, applied to things which are temporary or terminated –– what shall be said of disputants who still enlist the controversial services of a phantom which has been so often laid in the tomb from which it ought never again to emerge? How is it that not one out of the scores of writers who have animadverted on my book have so much as noticed the very remarkable fact to which I have called attention, that those who followed Origen in holding out a possible hope beyond the grave founded their argument for the terminability of torments on the acknowledged sense of this very word, and on the fact that other words and phrases which do unmistakably mean endless are used of the duration of good, but are never used of the duration of evil?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FQJ2AVBZCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
Everlasting aidios denotes "everlasting" (from aei, "ever"), Rom 1:20, RV, "everlasting," for AV, "eternal;" Jude 1:6, AV and RV "everlasting." Aionios, should always be translated "eternal" and aidios, "everlasting."

See Result- 16, in link below.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Everla...98daf791824645

If the righteous receive aidios/everlasting life, and those who are under God's curse receive aidios/everlasting punishment, then according to your erroneous belief, the everlasting punishment is equal in time to the everlasting life.

AIONIOS, SHOULD ALWAYS BE TRANSLATED "ETERNAL" AND AIDIOS, "EVERLASTING."

So let's eat drink and be merry, enjoy your life and do whatever pleases you, for according to Rose2Luv, and his little buddy Jerwade, the life of the righteous extends no longer than the life of the wicked.

The punishment of those under God's curse, and the life of God's faithful servants, both only last from everlasting to everlasting.

Come on mates, wake up to yourselves.
AIONIOS DOES NOT TRANSLATE OR EQUATE TO THAT WHICH IS ETERNAL. Buy yourself a clue.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:50 AM

3,061 posts, read 913,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
AIONIOS DOES NOT TRANSLATE OR EQUATE TO THAT WHICH IS ETERNAL. Buy yourself a clue.

I'll go with Vine's Greek New Testament Dictionary every time, over the words of one who has continually accused the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as having committed heinous crimes against mankind

VINE'S GREEK NEW TESTAMENT DICTIONARY. . . . . Result 16- Everlasting

aionios
aidios
1. Everlasting aionios see ETERNAL.

See also : aionios

2. Everlasting aidios denotes "everlasting" (from aei, "ever"), Rom 1:20, RV, "everlasting," for AV, "eternal;" Jude 1:6, AV and RV "everlasting." AIONIOS, SHOULD ALWAYS BE TRANSLATED "ETERNAL" and aidios, "everlasting." "While aionios ... negatives the end either of a space of time or of unmeasured time, and is used chiefly where something future is spoken of, aidios excludes interruption and lays stress upon permanence and unchangeableness" (Cremer).

See also : aidios

I hope you sleep well old mate.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:04 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,833 times
Aionios is NOT a definition of time! It goes far beyond time into the dimension of quality & caliber.

"This IS life aionios/ zoe aionios, that we may know You" declares St. John.

Both aionios kolasis, and aionios zoe speaks of a dimension of life and judgement.

Dr. Vine is correct: aidios excludes interruption and lays stress upon permanence and unchangeableness, and rightly so.

"I am the Lord, I change not.."

"You have laid the foundation of the earth, the heavens are the work of Your hands, they shall wax old as a garment, and they shall be changed."

"You Lord in the beginning has laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of Your hands: They shall perish; but You remain, and they all shall wax old as does a garment; and as a vesture You shall fold them up, and they shall be changed: but You art the same, and Your years shall not fail."

Old 09-30-2020, 03:08 AM

The Lost Art of Listening and “Lassening” to God

We are all Daniels in various lions’ dens of difficulties, but God is in the center of them all waiting for our faith to “let” His glory shut every lion’s mouth. GELASSENHEIT knows that the seed of Christ is pulsating at the center of every circumstance we face, waiting to be activated by our faith’s perception of Him. As we perceive the Lord’s imbedded presence in all events and circumstances, we are then able to help harvest that presence to sprout blessing, power and love into the current need.

John Wesley believed that God’s delivering presence had to be catalyzed by the prayer of faith before He could openly manifest upon the earth.

However, the prayer of faith is not accomplished by the “willpower” of men but rather by the “willingness” of GELASSENHEIT.

This concept is really just another word for meekness. But this is not mousy meekness as it has been taught in Sunday School lessons about being “good little boys and girls.” No, this meekness is virile, brave and unflappable. It is “gutsy abandonment” to “robustly yield” every fiber of our being to God. It is the type of muscular meekness which Jesus said would inherit the world. We are all Daniels in various lions’ dens of difficulties, but God is in the center of them all waiting for our faith to “let” His glory shut every lion’s mouth.

GELASSENHEIT knows that the seed of Christ is pulsating at the center of every circumstance we face, waiting to be activated by our faith’s perception of Him. As we perceive the Lord’s imbedded presence in all events and circumstances, we are then able to help harvest that presence to sprout blessing, power and love into the current need.

John Wesley believed that God’s delivering presence had to be catalyzed by the prayer of faith before He could openly manifest upon the earth. However, the prayer of faith is not accomplished by the “willpower” of men but rather by the “willingness” of GELASSENHEIT.

This concept is really just another word for meekness. But this is not mousy meekness as it has been taught in Sunday School lessons about being “good little boys and girls.” No, this meekness is virile, brave and unflappable. It is “gutsy abandonment” to “robustly yield” every fiber of our being to God. It is the type of muscular meekness which Jesus said would inherit the world.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/richar.../2020/09/1008/

Old 09-30-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
The Lost Art of Listening and “Lassening” to God

We are all Daniels in various lions’ dens of difficulties, but God is in the center of them all waiting for our faith to “let” His glory shut every lion’s mouth. GELASSENHEIT knows that the seed of Christ is pulsating at the center of every circumstance we face, waiting to be activated by our faith’s perception of Him. As we perceive the Lord’s imbedded presence in all events and circumstances, we are then able to help harvest that presence to sprout blessing, power and love into the current need.

John Wesley believed that God’s delivering presence had to be catalyzed by the prayer of faith before He could openly manifest upon the earth.

However, the prayer of faith is not accomplished by the “willpower” of men but rather by the “willingness” of GELASSENHEIT.

This concept is really just another word for meekness. But this is not mousy meekness as it has been taught in Sunday School lessons about being “good little boys and girls.” No, this meekness is virile, brave and unflappable. It is “gutsy abandonment” to “robustly yield” every fiber of our being to God. It is the type of muscular meekness which Jesus said would inherit the world. We are all Daniels in various lions’ dens of difficulties, but God is in the center of them all waiting for our faith to “let” His glory shut every lion’s mouth.

GELASSENHEIT knows that the seed of Christ is pulsating at the center of every circumstance we face, waiting to be activated by our faith’s perception of Him. As we perceive the Lord’s imbedded presence in all events and circumstances, we are then able to help harvest that presence to sprout blessing, power and love into the current need.

John Wesley believed that God’s delivering presence had to be catalyzed by the prayer of faith before He could openly manifest upon the earth. However, the prayer of faith is not accomplished by the “willpower” of men but rather by the “willingness” of GELASSENHEIT.

This concept is really just another word for meekness. But this is not mousy meekness as it has been taught in Sunday School lessons about being “good little boys and girls.” No, this meekness is virile, brave and unflappable. It is “gutsy abandonment” to “robustly yield” every fiber of our being to God. It is the type of muscular meekness which Jesus said would inherit the world.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/richar.../2020/09/1008/
What is the penalty for sin?

Old 09-30-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
What is the penalty for sin?
The penalty of sin is not everlasting torment. It is brokenness, emptiness and a deep chasm that only the Creator can remedy, and HE will!

"Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous."

Some = some >>>all = all >>>polus = polus.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:56 AM

The Greek word “hypokrites” is the word translated in the English Bible as “hypocrite.” The word can refer to stage-acting, to role-playing, to fakery, to mask-wearing, to assuming a false identity, to deceit of any kind.

Stage actors in ancient Greece literally wore masks on the stage. Jesus warned us against this mask-wearing called “hypocrisy,” calling it “the leaven of the Pharisees” in Luke 12:1. James 3:15-17 suggests that the wisdom from above has NO hypocrisy, while the wisdom from below is heavily hypocritical, in addition to being natural, earthly and demonic.

We should now acknowledge that we have all been mask-wearers at various times and places in our lives, and that our masks are not the “real” us but rather are false sin-identities forged (as in criminal forgery) through our interaction with Satanic power. The Devil lays the mask out in front of us to entice us. We, because of our subconscious desire to avoid God, willingly don the masks and become grafted with them to various degrees of intensity. These masks create stronghold states of deception within us toward God which work to keep us oblivious to His powerful presence and loving purposes.

https://thegoodnessofgod.com/jim-car...-lake-of-fire/

Old 09-30-2020, 01:43 PM

Hope beyond Hell

https://www.hopebeyondhell.net/artic...tudy/eternity/

https://www.hopebeyondhell.net/

Picture yourself as a missionary to the Muslim nation of Senegal, West Africa.

About a year prior, you befriended your neighbor, Abdou Ndieye, a Muslim merchant. Only a few weeks ago, he graciously accepted your invitation to study the Bible with you. You are thrilled. Abdou is the first Muslim with whom you have begun sharing the Good News.

Today you prepare to explore another portion of God‘s Word with him, but something terrible has happened. You cannot believe what you are hearing and seeing on the news. The Joola, a Senegalese ferry, has capsized killing almost 2,000 people. You remember that Abdou‘s wife, Astou, and his 14 year-old daughter, Fatou, are on that ship. You are in shock and cannot believe what you are seeing—a ship‘s underside sticking up out of the sea with helicopters hovering overhead.

You hurry next door. As you knock on the door, you hear deep groans and wailing. You slowly enter. Abdou is prostrate on the floor. He pleads before Yalla (Wolof for Allah), “Why? Why? How could you let this happen?” He goes into spasms of weeping, beating his hands against the floor.

Feeling utterly helpless, you pray, “God help me comfort my friend.” Abdou lifts his eyes, hardly able to recognize you for the tears.

“My wife and daughter have died a terrible death! Tell me I will see them again; tell me they are safe in God‘s arms! Has your Jesus taken them to His heaven?”

You are lost for words. The silence is deafening.

“Answer me, Christian, will I see them again? Are they in a better place? Tell me!”

You remain speechless. What can you say? Where is the Good News when you need it most?

Old 09-30-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The penalty of sin is not everlasting torment. It is brokenness, emptiness and a deep chasm that only the Creator can remedy, and HE will!

"Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous."

Some = some >>>all = all >>>polus = polus.
In other words you don't know what the Penalty is, that God has imposed on all those who are under his curse?

John 15:13; "The greatest love a person can have for his friends is to give his life for them. And you are my friends, IF YOU DO WHAT I COMMAND YOU.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the anointed View Post
in other words you don't know what the penalty is, that god has imposed on all those who are under his curse?

John 15:13; "the greatest love a person can have for his friends is to give his life for them. And you are my friends, if you do what i command you.
"If you don't do what I command, you will be incinerated?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity