Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 12:17 PM

63,898 posts, read 40,172,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You can choose not to love someone or something, that's your choice. But you cannot speak for that of another who may love you, unconditionally or without all the restraints you seem to impose on them. My daughters do not need to love me in order for me to love them. And I have seen love overcome the most difficult obstacles in life - when it reaches out to others. It has nothing to do with your thoughts of power and control.
Amen, Jer!!! Mitch seems obsessed with a power meme and it skews his perceptions of love, especially since he does not seem to understand what the distinction is when it is agape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,924,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Are you at all skeptical of the bible, the blood fest of the OT, the lack of clarity and the blatant deception of the church?

Jesus' real teachers on earth have corrected the translating errors here in these last days= New world translation--otherwise this could never be accomplished-John 4:22-24

Old 08-13-2016, 02:05 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,924,295 times
Quote:
[

I was being kind. What I really think of those who cannot admit ET is sadistic and repulsive would likely get me banned.

So, you cherry pick the bible to defend ET? Btw, the bible uses words like, destruction, perish, no more, death, burned up, ashes, etc. etc. when describing the fate of the unbelievers.

My disbelief is based on the bible as a whole.

Torment period. Whether by fire, or tickling that lasts for trillions of years.

Btw, if you take the story of the rich man and Lazarus as literal, you are completely off base.

So, answer the question. Do you believe in and accept ET as just?

Eternal torment is a lie taught against the true God--His perfectly balanced justice scales make it an impossibility. An eye for an eye= perfect balance-uncorruptable. Lets apply these scales to eternal torment teaching

On one side-- 70 -90 years of unrepented sin----- on the other side--trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of eternal punishment

0 Balance--thus not a true teaching-- those who teach it do not know God.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Eternal torment is a lie taught against the true God--His perfectly balanced justice scales make it an impossibility. An eye for an eye= perfect balance-uncorruptable. Lets apply these scales to eternal torment teaching

On one side-- 70 -90 years of unrepented sin----- on the other side--trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of eternal punishment

Balance shmalance.

You have heard the law that says, "an eye for an eye" BUT there's a DIFFERENT way that is of God.
You have heard that the law says to love your neighbor BUT there's a way that is of God.

Love your enemies and do good to them.

God doesn't act lower than She asks of us. She doesn't follow the lower way of those who demand an eye for an eye. Her ways are HIGHER.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
Quote:
... I hear Christians say that another human should
burn in hell for eternity.
My question is: Do you believe in ET and do you consider it just punishment?
If so, have you really considered what that means?
Again, I have not read anything but the Op....^^

E. torment...hahaha....come on!

It goes against all of what the Creator/ God /Divine/ Krishna/ Jesus/ Brahma IS !!

It goes against the very Nature of Love!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,174,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
In Revalation 19: 20

Then fast forward 1000 years after mankinds final rebellion against God you have Revalation 20:10

Eternal torment is biblical despite mans discovery that it somehow isn't.
Again, I'm not going bother debating whether ET is biblical. My study found it clearly is not. You are married to your belief it is, which is disturbing.

The point of this thread is to get your personal opinion of it. Is it sadistic or not? If mankind or any other God you do not worship implemented it, would you consider it sadistic?

Rational sane people do not care who would implement it, it is sick and sadistic.

Have the guts to tell everyone right here that the Jordanian pilot, not being a christian, is still burning today.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Again, I have not read anything but the Op....^^

E. torment...hahaha....come on!

It goes against all of what the Creator/ God /Divine/ Krishna/ Jesus/ Brahma IS !!

It goes against the very Nature of Love!
Nice to see another sane person here.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post

I thank you for your sanity and reason.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
maa, let me give you the TRUE skinny on the doctrine of eternal torment and how it wormed its way into Christianity. Don't listen to any fundamentalists telling you otherwise because they have been "programmed".

Originally, eternal torment didn't exist in the OT and in the early years of the Christian religion. The people who started the belief originally were the Zoroastrians and from there it migrated to the Greeks. One famous Greek philosopher states very clearly that the threat of eternal torment in fiery hell is a powerful tool to keep the masses under subjugation to the authorities. By the time Tertullian and Augustine came on the scene roughly 400 AD the church needed an effective tool to give pagans a "push" to convert. They saw how well the threat of eternal torment worked for the Greeks so they adopted it into their theology by way of Tertullian and especially Augustine's writings. By the time the Medieval period rolled around around the doctrine was so entrenched in Roman Catholicism that the Protestants kept it after rejecting nearly everything else RC. Hence nuts like Jonathan Edwards continued to preach hellfire and brimstone because nothing scares a crowd of parishioners like a good threat of burning forever if you don't accept Jesus.

There's nothing Biblical about eternal torment. Jesus' warnings have been deliberately completely misinterpreted by church leaders to mean eternal torment. All this is fully documented and available on the Internet if you just google "How doctrine of eternal torment originated" . The King James has been so jimmied to include the word hell (from Scandinavian word "hel" meaning helmet) that it became obvious it was a deliberate effort by the King's translators under orders from James himself to include as much hell as possible to frighten people into not even thinking of rebelling against James or any subsequent royalty under pain of eternal torment. This done by way of Paul's "Submit yourselves to rule of leaders" in Hebrew's 13:17.
Just more reasoning for why I do not accept the bible as the word of God. It stinks of humans.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:54 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,400,221 times
I believe in eternal torment because anhalliation is unbiblical as taught by Adventists and JWs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity