Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 845,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
This is a fair statement. Thank you for your admission that God can be at work through the Catholic Church. Many would not go that far.

The Church has never claimed to be impeccable, just infallible. Infallibility is a protection provided by God to ensure that His Church does not go off the rails.
So why has it gone off it's rails so many times? Why cannot it not get even basic doctrine correct even today?

Nothing like blind, robotic faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM

64,169 posts, read 40,552,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The only reason Christianity survived and spread to all of Europe was because of the Roman Catholic Church. Otherwise, we would be Jews or Muslims. I have mentioned this a thousand times to the forum members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
All this would prove is that God can draw straight lines . . . even with a crooked stick!!!
Quote:
This is a fair statement. Thank you for your admission that God can be at work through the Catholic Church. Many would not go that far.
I would never presume to limit who God would work through . . . unlike the extant religions and their corrupt hierarchies.
Quote:
The Church has never claimed to be impeccable, just infallible. Infallibility is a protection provided by God to ensure that His Church does not go off the rails with regard to formal teaching in matters of faith and morals.
This is the height of hubris . . . to claim that ANY human being is capable of infallibility at ANY TIME for ANY reason based on ANY provenance. It is absolutely preposterous!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:26 PM

555 posts, read 459,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
So why has it gone off it's rails so many times? Why cannot it not get even basic doctrine correct even today?
Feel free to begin new threads on any example you may care to share with the group.

One topic per thread, please.

See ya there!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
This is the height of hubris . . . to claim that ANY human being is capable of infallibility at ANY TIME for ANY reason based on ANY provenance. It is absolutely preposterous!
No, this is the depth of ignorance, for you do not understand that infallibility is the work of the Holy Spirit protecting the Church built by Jesus from falling into doctrinal error.

Really...you need to more reading and less posting because this post suggests that you have no clue what infallibility is.

I have to ask...do you really have a PhD? What field?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I would never presume to limit who God would work through . . . unlike the extant religions and their corrupt hierarchies.This is the height of hubris . . . to claim that ANY human being is capable of infallibility at ANY TIME for ANY reason based on ANY provenance. It is absolutely preposterous!
Quote:
No, this is the depth of ignorance, for you do not understand that infallibility is the work of the Holy Spirit protecting the Church built by Jesus from falling into doctrinal error.
That is magical thinking and totally inappropriate for an evolved intellect. If you can look at the world as it actually is and perceive ANY such "Godly protection" from our human frailties . . . please cite them. I am aware of NONE . . . except for Jesus Himself. There isn't another human being of His caliber on the earth, period.
Quote:
Really...you need to more reading and less posting because this post suggests that you have no clue what infallibility is.
I have to ask...do you really have a PhD? What field?
I have over 20,000 posts many of which would reveal the presumptuousness of your ignorant (meaning lack of knowledge about ME) assertions. That would be the point of Trout's description of your Catholic six-guns-a-blazing sortie into these fora. I know full well what the RCC asserts about infallibility . . . hence my use of ANY regarding when, where, and why it is presumed to be a trait of the Papacy . . . ie., its provenance. It is magical thinking and completely bogus. I would have expected them to have outgrown such nonsense by the 21st century.,

Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I know full well what the RCC asserts about infallibility . . . hence my use of ANY regarding when, where, and why it is presumed to be a trait of the Papacy . . . ie., its provenance. It is magical thinking and completely bogus. I would have expected them to have outgrown such nonsense by the 21st century.,
If you are as familiar with the subject as you claim, then your previous post on the subject makes no sense. Infallibility is a protection of God, and one He is fully capable of rendering to the leader of His Church.

You wrote:

Quote:
This is the height of hubris . . . to claim that ANY human being is capable of infallibility at ANY TIME for ANY reason based on ANY provenance.
Let me say this plainly: God is fully capable of ensuring that the leader of the Church that Jesus promised to build never teaches error in matters of faith and morals when exercising his formal capacity as head of the universal Church.

Or do you think this is impossible for God? God can't prevent someone from teaching error?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
That is magical thinking and totally inappropriate for an evolved intellect. If you can look at the world as it actually is and perceive ANY such "Godly protection" from our human frailties . . . please cite them. I am aware of NONE . . . except for Jesus Himself. There isn't another human being of His caliber on the earth, period. I have over 20,000 posts many of which would reveal the presumptuousness of your ignorant (meaning lack of knowledge about ME) assertions. That would be the point of Trout's description of your Catholic six-guns-a-blazing sortie into these fora. I know full well what the RCC asserts about infallibility . . . hence my use of ANY regarding when, where, and why it is presumed to be a trait of the Papacy . . . ie., its provenance. It is magical thinking and completely bogus. I would have expected them to have outgrown such nonsense by the 21st century.,
Quote:
If you are as familiar with the subject as you claim, then your previous post on the subject makes no sense. Infallibility is a protection of God, and one He is fully capable of rendering to the leader of His Church.
Let me say this plainly: God is fully capable of ensuring that the leader of the Church that Jesus promised to build never teaches error in matters of faith and morals when exercising his formal capacity as head of the universal Church.
Or do you think this is impossible for God? God can't prevent someone from teaching error?
It has nothing to do with what is possible for God. It has to do with what has demonstrably been done by God . . . and that is nothing as regards the teachings of the RCC and their infallible Popes. There isn't a shred of evidence that what has been declared infallible . . . is in fact infallible. There are too many disconnects between the God of love revealed by Christ and the God proffered by the RCC in their infallible dogma. Even one instance refutes infallibility and there are more than one. The ET (Hell) doctrine is just one. The inferiority of women and their inability to be ordained is another. The idea that God required such a horrendous scourging and crucifixion to appease His anger, or vengeance, or Holiness, or so-called justice . . . or whatever is another.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 AM

1,030 posts, read 845,535 times
Quote:
Feel free to begin new threads on any example you may care to share with the group.

One topic per thread, please.

See ya there!
Or you could just answer the question. You seem to have a knack for avoiding direct questions many times.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with what is possible for God. It has to do with what has demonstrably been done by God . . . and that is nothing as regards the teachings of the RCC and their infallible Popes. There isn't a shred of evidence that what has been declared infallible . . . is in fact infallible. There are too many disconnects between the God of love revealed by Christ and the God proffered by the RCC in their infallible dogma. Even one instance refutes infallibility and there are more than one. The ET (Hell) doctrine is just one. The inferiority of women and their inability to be ordained is another. The idea that God required such a horrendous scourging and crucifixion to appease His anger, or vengeance, or Holiness, or so-called justice . . . or whatever is another.
MysticPhD-

After examining my conscience during prayer this morning, I know that I sinned against you in the course of our many exchanges yesterday.

I am truly sorry for having offended you, and I ask for your forgiveness.

Going forward, I will endeavor to limit my comments to the subject matter of the thread itself and to present my views in a charitable manner. As scripture says:

Hebrews 12:14-15
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
14 Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

Finally, I have several people to whom I must repent, so please do not think that my sincerity is diminished in any way by the fact that I use this message more than once in many threads as I come across those to whom it must be addressed.

God bless.

Randy

Last edited by CRCarson; 04-21-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity