Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,481,647 times

Advertisements

i still say i am a Christian, but i must always follow up with, " but i believe....." Many outsiders have this view of the christianity that they get from TV. That is not christianity to me. i never want to be associated with TV type of christianity. especially TBN type of stuff.
I like to say i am a follower of Christ, but not of christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,187,351 times
Shouldn't we just say I am a believer? Sounds right since there is also not 30,000 plus ways to be a believer.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,879,353 times
I suggest that you keep it simple from here on in. Apparently you investigated the "religion" - which is very good. Now it might be time to understand that Christianity is not a religion and was never meant to be - that it was a state of higher mindedness. I went through the same thing. Now I have filtered the whole confusing mess and truly appreciate what this divine teacher taught- It is what Christ said that has to be understood. Virgin birth - resurrection - and all those other romantic Roman notions should be put aside. CHRIST was the most brilliant man that ever lived and his teachings are the core of this intelligent mindset..concentrate on that. I am sure he would be more please with such an effort than man generated political non-sense.

"I am the truth the light and the way" - Pilate asked "What is truth?" He asked this question because he did not know- Truth translated simply - is reality. Christ expected us to over come the deception of the world through the full embracing of reality- that is the core of the movement and the saving grace.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,619,341 times
I never knew until this forum (except for a few former church friends and family) that "You can't be a Christian IF, or unless you do or don't follow these rules and do as we say-------" then I am given a list of denomination doctrines mostly created by man in the long ago past and handed down through the generations in the name of "church fathers".

I am a believer (not a denominational Christian) and I follow the teachings and wisdom of Christ who taught about the unconditional love of God for myself and for all others. Mostly I follow what the Spirit of God has written and continues to write in my heart so that I can live this short life in His peace with no fear of eternal damnation because I didn't live by man's selfrighteous interpretations of the scriptures, instead of the Holy Spirits.

jmho

Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM

281 posts, read 308,343 times
I am not an 'ordained minister in Christianity, I am an ordained minister of Christ. Anyone who makes the claiming to be an 'ordained minister in Christianity' has a fundamental problem right at the start.

Jesus is the Anglicized name of the Greek Ἰησοῦς [Iesous - G2424] which in turn is the equivalent of the Hebrew יְהֹושֻׁעַ [Yâhowshuwaʿ, Yâhowshuʿa - H3091] which in English is Joshua. His titles are many: Messiah, Saviour, Prophet, Priest, King, Wonderful, Counselor, Almighty God, Father of the Ages (everlasting Father), Son of Man, Son of David, Son of God, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, First and Last, Lion of Judah, Lamb of God, Shoot of Jesse, etc. As for the Hebrew name, since it was a dead language for such a long time, it's only an educated guess as to how it is actually pronounced. Yes, the Greek name Iesous is a reference to the Greek god Zeus, and can mean son of Zeus. It is actually significant in Greek, because it does echos His true Sonship, being the Son of God. It really doesn't matter what His 'name' is because he was only to be 'called' Iesous/Yahowshuwa' as a representation of Who he Is, Jehovah Salvation.

I find it amusing that people bring up the Hebrew word for horse סוּס, סוּס, סִיס [cuwc, cuc /soos/] with the definite article הַסּוּס attached, which is not pronounced the same as the Greek name, as Iesous has a silent breath mark, 'yay-sous' as opposed to 'hasoos'. Jesus is the English rendering of the Greek rendering for the Hebrew name of the Messiah, or Christ. Jesus is just translation of a translation, really quite insignificant. If we allow for your implied meaning, we should all learn ancient Hebrew so that we can accurately render the names and titles of God and His Messiah accurately.

It amazes me that a man who believes to have been called into the ministry of the Gospel of Christ can so easily be shaken by Satan's attack based on naming conventions of various languages. This is not an earth shattering revelation about the true name of our Lord and Savior, it's a small pebble that has been turned into small mound made of straw.

As an 'ordained minister in Christianity' you should have enough knowledge and understanding of the Scriptures to refute all these claimed problems against Christianity yourself. It saddens me that you have strayed so far from the faith you once had.

To what did you change the name of your ministry?

In Christ,

Matthew

Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i still say i am a Christian, but i must always follow up with, " but i believe....." Many outsiders have this view of the christianity that they get from TV. That is not christianity to me. i never want to be associated with TV type of christianity. especially TBN type of stuff.
I like to say i am a follower of Christ, but not of christianity.
Well said.

As for the OP, we're to know no man after the flesh - and that applies to Jesus Himself if we get down to it. He's not the man that walked the shores of Galilee, He is the Christ - which means "anointed". As He said, God is spirit and that's exactly what He is. These images of Jesus we have everywhere reduce Him in our minds back to a man, and it's imperative that we hold Him above that which is created.

It's a matter of idolatry as old as man himself.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,534,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I like to say i am a follower of Christ, but not of Christianity.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM

420 posts, read 1,240,220 times
Default response

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
1. Christianity is not the chosen faith. It is the product of Constantine and the Romans after him.

Constantine mixed the apostolic christianity of Jesus with Baylonian worship.

3. The Messiya's true name is not Jesus.

Agreed that he has many names.

The Holy spirit is not separate, it is the spirit of the 1 GOD

Agreed here too pretty much

The Most High is the 1 God, the Messiyah(called Jesus) is not equal with him, but he will be the king

Jesus said "The father and I are one" I agree that Jesus will come again as a conquering King, probably not in my lifetime

I am not a christian because Hitler was a christian, Willie Lynch was a christian, etc.

Hitler used christianity as an end to his means. If he was christian, which I doubt, he only used it to accomplish his ends.

Christianity came from rome

Catholism came from Rome.

Ministers, don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater". I agree with you that we must keep studying and learning. But don't give up faith brother.
My faith is stronger now than it ever has been!!!!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 PM

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All I can say is, Keep studying
Thank you brother, most definitely

Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
All I can say is, Keep studying
Most definitely will brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity