Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,505,997 times

Advertisements

Those who discuss the New Testament also often talk about morality. No one in the NT talks about morality more than St. Paul. In one of his letters, he says something like "if you burn, take a wife." This is the New Millennium. It's not like you're crawling around prehistoric times in a loin cloth, you club one over the head, and you drag one into your cave. His writings seem more rigid than flexible, and I'm wondering of their applicability to the 20th century and beyond. The Bible was meant to be an enduring document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM

33,424 posts, read 26,779,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Those who discuss the New Testament also often talk about morality. No one in the NT talks about morality more than St. Paul. In one of his letters, he says something like "if you burn, take a wife." This is the New Millennium. It's not like you're crawling around prehistoric times in a loin cloth, you club one over the head, and you drag one into your cave. His writings seem more rigid than flexible, and I'm wondering of their applicability to the 20th century and beyond. The Bible was meant to be an enduring document.
Paul's epistles contain instructions for the Church and Church Age doctrines. His epistles are applicable throughout the entire Church Age, including the 21st century.

I'm not sure if you were implying that Paul suggested clubing a woman over the head, taking a woman by force (he was not), but here is the passage you are referring to.

1 Corinthians 7:5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6] But this I say by way of concession, not of command. 7] Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. 8] But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. 9] But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 10] But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband. 11] (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.

And by the way, the Christian way of life is not about morality. Morality is for the entire human race, believer and unbeliever alike. Anything an unbeliever can do is not the Christian way of life. The Christian way of life is higher than morality. It is a supernatural way of life which requires the enablement of God the Holy Spirit in order to execute. For instance, only under the filling of the Holy Spirit can divine good be produced, as opposed to human good. Only divine good is acceptable to God.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 11,000,465 times
Well the New Testament is completely applicable. It tells us who God is and what He has accomplished to save mankind from their sins, and the forgiveness He offers by faith as a free gift to all who believe. It tells us of God's laws, what is good and evil, and that God expects people to turn away from evil. Just because the nation, for the most part, chooses not to listen, doesn't mean its God's fault. God is trying to bring salvation to people, but if they don't listen, its people that will suffer the consequences, not God. Besides, all kinds of other people, in Africa, China, and other parts of the world are listening, so I guess its still relevant.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'm not sure if you were implying that Paul suggested clubing a woman over the head, taking a woman by force (he was not), but here is the passage you are referring to.

1 Corinthians 7:5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6] But this I say by way of concession, not of command. 7] Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. 8] But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. 9] But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 10] But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband. 11] (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.
Ok, I was being facetious and, yes, that is the passage I've read or have heard at church. But look at how many people are "looking" and not finding, if you read CD, talk to friends, or see all the on-line dating publicity, and these people are NOT waiting (for verse 9). That's reality. It's also been like that for centuries, all the way back until when the Bible was written. While I'm not seeking additional Scripture, practical insight to this is welcomed.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,317,471 times
Quote:
So what's your point? If you want to have sex, get married.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So what's your point? If you want to have sex, get married.
Read post #4.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Read post #4.
Then they are like everyone else. They're sinners. We don't have the authority to alter the text because it's inconvenient or hard to live by.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Then they are like everyone else. They're sinners. We don't have the authority to alter the text because it's inconvenient or hard to live by.
So then, is God going to toast all these college students who got "out of line" in their dorms or in their fraternities or sororities, for example?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM

33,424 posts, read 26,779,931 times
Quote:
Ok, I was being facetious and, yes, that is the passage I've read or have heard at church. But look at how many people are "looking" and not finding, if you read CD, talk to friends, or see all the on-line dating publicity, and these people are NOT waiting (for verse 9). That's reality. It's also been like that for centuries, all the way back until when the Bible was written. While I'm not seeking additional Scripture, practical insight to this is welcomed.
If people are unwilling to live their lives in the light of the word of God, that does not make God's word any less revelent. In any generation there will be those who obey God's word and those who don't. As we near the end of this dispensation more and more people are disregarding the Bible, but the word of God stands.

The fault is not with what is taught in the Bible, but rather, the responsibility is on those who do not choose to live by what the Bible teaches. And also, a large part of the responsibility lies with the fact that many or perhaps most pastors are not really teaching the word of God in their local churches, but are simply giving sermons and feel good messages. The word of God must not be watered down to make it more appealing to 'the now generation'.

Oh yes. You mentioned something about looking but not finding. It is all about waiting on God's timing and not trying to get ahead of God's plan for your life. We must wait on God and not rush things.

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-13-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
So then, is God going to toast all these college students who got "out of line" in their dorms or in their fraternities or sororities, for example?

They're like every other sinner. If they are not in Christ they will go to hell.

Such a person may claim to be a Christian, but if they're not willing to submit to God's commands....I question if their faith is real. We aren't saved by being good...but being good is a byproduct of a real faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity