Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 AM

33,331 posts, read 26,536,018 times

Advertisements

It seems that many professing Christians regard the Bible as nothing more then dead letters in a book. This explains why they feel free to disregard the Scriptures that they personally don't like and refer to them as doctrines of men.

But what do the Scriptures themselves say?

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Some will say that Heb. 4:12 refers to Jesus and not to the Bible. But as Jesus is the living Word, so too is the Bible the written word. The Bible is the mind of Christ. The thoughts of Christ set down in writing. The words that Jesus Christ communicated, whether spoken while He was on the earth, or written in the Cannon of Scripture, are alive and powerful. Indeed, Jesus never communicated the content of church-age doctrine that is contained in the New Testament Scriptures while He was on the earth. What we have in the New Testament Holy Scriptures was communicated by means of divine inspiration from God the Holy Spirit to the human authors of the Bible.

We have in the written Scriptures, God's complete and connected thought toward man.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 17)That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works

The Bible is not human viewpoint, or of human origin, but rather the Holy Spirit's use of human agencies.

2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture originates from one's own disclosure. 21) For prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is the source of all divine revelation and spiritual wisdom.

2 Timothy 3:14 You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them; 15) and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

The Bible is the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, That He should instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.

The Bible is the absolute norm and standard for the believer.

Psalms 138:2 I will Sing praises to Thee before the gods. I will bow down toward Thy holy temple. And give thanks to Thy name for Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth; For Thou hast magnified Thy word according to all Thy name.

In Romans 1:2 and 2 Timothy 3:15, the expressions 'Holy Scriptures' and 'Sacred Writings' are used respectively.

Rom 1:2 which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures.

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

God expects the believer to learn and metabolize the doctrines of the word of God.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, ''It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone, But on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found and I ate them, And Thy words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart;

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp to my feet, And a light to my path.

Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Thy words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Psalm 119:104 From Thy precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.

Yes, the Bible is the written word of God, and Jesus Christ is the living Word. Everything that God intends for the believer in the church-age to know and to understand has been set down in writing. We have our operating instructions, our marching orders, in written form.

When the believer under the filling ministry of the Spirit (Eph 5:18), through use of the principle of (1 John 1:9), studies the written word, the Holy Spirit will make the spiritual phenomenon perspicacious to the believer. If the believer, upon understanding the doctrine, then believes it, it becomes metabolized and serves to edify the believer, resulting in spiritual growth.

The Holy Spirit will never, I repeat, Never guide a believer contrary to what is contained in the Scriptures. Anyone who claims to have been led by the Spirit to believe somethng that runs counter to what is contained in the Bible is not in the truth.

2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, 15) And regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16) As also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:26 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,443,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

The Bible is the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, That He should instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.
The whole post was great, and I especially love this one.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,669,276 times
It seems that many professing Christians feel free to disregard the Scriptures that they personally don't like and refer to them as doctrines of men.

2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to BE FOUND IN HIM in peace, SPOTLESS AND BLAMELESS, 15) And regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16) As also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

The Holy Spirit will never, I repeat, Never guide a believer contrary to what is contained in the Scriptures. Anyone who claims to have been led by the Spirit to believe somethng that runs counter to what is contained in the Bible is not in the truth.

Amen.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:11 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
It seems that many professing Christians feel free to disregard the Scriptures that they personally don't like and refer to them as doctrines of men.

2 Peter 3:14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to BE FOUND IN HIM in peace, SPOTLESS AND BLAMELESS, 15) And regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16) As also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

"The Holy Spirit will never, I repeat, Never guide a believer contrary to what is contained in the Scriptures. Anyone who claims to have been led by the Spirit to believe somethng that runs counter to what is contained in the Bible is not in the truth.
Amen.

"It seems that many professing Christians feel free to disregard the Scriptures that they personally don't like and refer to them as doctrines of men."

Whooa, this is sad and yet so true.... Verna !!

"The Holy Spirit will never, I repeat, Never guide a believer contrary to what is contained in the Scriptures. Anyone who claims to have been led by the Spirit to believe somethng that runs counter to what is contained in the Bible is not in the truth."

AMEN....

Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM

889 posts, read 2,715,368 times
Amen! Keep preachin' it. Time is short!!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,197,579 times
You search the scriptures thinking you'll find eternal life, but they are speaking of Me. (John 5:39)

- Jesus

"...and His name is called the Word of God." Rev 19:13

Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Amen! Keep preachin' it. Time is short!!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,377,214 times
Hi all,
question: if the Bible is the word of God, why is it sold in bookstores, and modified according to man's carnal interpretation? Some Bibles even omit verses that the translators have judged are "not valid!"

The letter kills. Christ within you is able to save you daily! Yes, the word is within every heart of man, the word which we preach.

My 2c for today!

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
question: if the Bible is the word of God, why is it sold in bookstores, and modified according to man's carnal interpretation? Some Bibles even omit verses that the translators have judged are "not valid!"

The letter kills. Christ within you is able to save you daily! Yes, the word is within every heart of man, the word which we preach.

My 2c for today!

Blessings,
brian
God always preserves His written word down through history. The Bible is inerrant in the original lanquages. The fact that there are poor translations in no way negates the reality that we still have the early manuscripts. Not the originals, but the early manuscripts. There are good translations along with the bad.

The Bible, as the word of God, and therefore the revelation of absolute truth, has always been under Satanic attack. One facet of that attack is to introduce and circulate watered down and deliberately altered versions of it.

But the word of God lives and abides forever.

Best Bible Translation

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The whole post was great, and I especially love this one.
Thanks. I had wanted to do more with it, but I was getting too tired to concentrate, so I left off where I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity