Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times

Advertisements

i dont understand the conflict between the gospel of Jesus and everything that falls under "pauline theology" in the new testament. i hear/read a lot of people saying the 2 are completely different. here are 2 links making such claims

Pauline Christianity

Statements about Paul by Prominent Theologians and Bible Scholars

can someone explain what the "differences" would be? or why they don't conflict also would be good
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
What exactly are you asking?

Pauline theology is based on the teachings of Paul per the epistles. The gospel's are based on the teachings of Christ.

No matter how many people want to be believe that Paul is/was perfect in his teachings, he was not - he was not Christ.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
They really do not conflict. Some would say that Paul taught against the teachings of Jesus. Especially concerning the doctrines of the Law. But really, he didn't. He taught that Mosaic Law had ceased, but that the laws of God concerning humanity and God had not.

Also, some take what Paul had to say concerning authority vs. what Jesus had to say about it, and twist it to their own destruction. Remember, that the bible was translated to favor those in power like King James. One must take what the originals had written and compare that to what the translators wrote down.

Peter warned that men had taken the letters of Paul and distorted them, to their own destruction. In fact most modern theology is taken this way, which has made Christianity as a whole a weak religion. Jesus came with Truth and Power. This is the evidence of the proper teaching. It was then passed on to the disciples, and from there, those who seek Him.

But if you read something that contradicts Jesus written by Paul? Read the Greek, and let the Spirit guide you. It will. You will find there is no contradiction.

Peace.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM

@revrandy- HotinAZ answered what i was asking for- some people argue that paul's teachings went against the teachings of jesus and other issues as well.

this is another one of such websites that claim that their doctrines contradict (this one even goes on and says paul was a false prophet)

Paul Contradicts Jesus

i will more than likely see what i can do about trying to read/understand scriptures in greek so i can see for myself.
thanks hotinaz

Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i dont understand the conflict between the gospel of Jesus and everything that falls under "pauline theology" in the new testament. i hear/read a lot of people saying the 2 are completely different. here are 2 links making such claims

Pauline Christianity

Statements about Paul by Prominent Theologians and Bible Scholars

can someone explain what the "differences" would be? or why they don't conflict also would be good
thanks
There is no conflict. Jesus was born, lived, and died in the dispensation of the age of the Jews, or age of Israel. Most of what Jesus taught pertained to the Jewish age and to the future Kingdom age or Millennium-the kingdom of God. And of course, to the Gospel. What Paul taught were doctrines that pertain to the dispensation of the church. The dispensation we are now living in. The church age began on the day of Pentecost 50 days after the resurrection of Christ. Acts 2:1. Paul was made an Apostle by the resurrected Christ and commissioned to reveal the church age doctrines that had been revealed to him by God.

Acts 25:14 'And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard to kick against the goads.' 15) ''And I said, 'Who art Thou, Lord?' And the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. 16) 'But arise, and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you (Church age doctrines). 17) Delivering you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, 18) to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, in order that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.'

Ephesians chapter 3 talks about the 'mystery'. This refers to the dispensation of the church, which was completely unknown to the O.T. prophets. The church age was hidden, kept under wraps. Verses 8-10 read, ''To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, 9) and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery (the church age) which for ages has been hidden in God, who created all things; 10) in order that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places (Angelic beings).

Jesus came into the world in the likeness of men in order to go to the Cross and redeem the human race from sin. His teachings during His ministry were not aimed at the church which didn't even exist as of yet. It wasn't until the Jews rejected Him as Messiah near the end of His ministry, that He turned His attention to the church. Matthew 16:18 being the first mention by Jesus of the church-which was a reference to believers of the church age who are a part of the body of Christ. Again, the vast majority of what Christ spoke of pertained to the kingdom age which is the Millennium and will be brought in when Christ returns at the Second Advent, and to the age of Israel in which He was living.

And Paul was chosen by God to teach the doctrines that pertain to us today in this dispensation of the Church. The doctrines by which a Christian is to live during this dispensation.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
@revrandy- HotinAZ answered what i was asking for- some people argue that paul's teachings went against the teachings of jesus and other issues as well.

this is another one of such websites that claim that their doctrines contradict (this one even goes on and says paul was a false prophet)

Paul Contradicts Jesus

i will more than likely see what i can do about trying to read/understand scriptures in greek so i can see for myself.
thanks hotinaz
You are quite welcome. It would be a bit of fun to take the list off the website you have provided there, and do a proper study point by point. I saw the list and saw where they would and could say there was a contradiction. But there wasn't.

See, one thing is for sure that we all on this board must be careful of. Blasphemy of ones who the Spirit speaks through. Remember what Jesus told the Pharisees when they accused Him of speaking with a demon, or rather speaking lies against God. So, if Paul was truly letting the Spirit speak through him, then we must seek to understand and let the Spirit interpret that which we do not understand. Right?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
You are quite welcome. It would be a bit of fun to take the list off the website you have provided there, and do a proper study point by point. I saw the list and saw where they would and could say there was a contradiction. But there wasn't.

See, one thing is for sure that we all on this board must be careful of. Blasphemy of ones who the Spirit speaks through. Remember what Jesus told the Pharisees when they accused Him of speaking with a demon, or rather speaking lies against God. So, if Paul was truly letting the Spirit speak through him, then we must seek to understand and let the Spirit interpret that which we do not understand. Right?
Amen....

Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM

37 posts, read 51,470 times
there are those of the liberal camp (theologically speaking) who want to take the bible apart and make it say things that are not there or NOT say things that are there. the gospels themselves have been determined with no proof whatsoever to have been written much later and by several people who where not even of the first century. this way they can distort and ridicule the writings as that of mere man and not of inspired by the Holy Spirit as the scripture claims. that said, it fits to say that there is a problem with pauline doctrine and the gospels. in saying this they can throw out what they do not accept. a dear friend of mine has come to the conclusion that she will not listen to paul and will only read Jesus. this is sad, because in all of the NT, paul is the one who points constantly to Jesus. he looks at himself as the cheif of all sinners, and the least of the apostles. (too bad we did not have more preachers who looked at themselves in the same way).
Jesus told paul that He would reveal truth to paul. paul was the one that spoke up to keep the church from becoming jewish concerning the Law and circumcision. our Lord Jesus lived His life to reveal God the Father and to become our sacrifice for sins so that we could have fellowship with the Father. He rose again to give us new life in that relationship with God. and He ascended so that we could receive the blessing of the Holy Spirit to give us the power to live in Christ for the Father. paul was chosen to take all that is Christ and to give us a better understanding of what it all means. the problem we have is that we need the Holy Spirit to give us understanding of this revelation of Christ Jesus who is Lord and God. we try to do it on our own and we come up with the division of doctrines. paul said it best; for you are still fleshly. for since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? for when one says, "Iam of Apollos," are you not mere men? what then is Apollos? and what is Paul? servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. so then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth... 1Cor 3:3-7
we have the bible before us to discover the heigth, depth, width, and length of our wonderful God and Saviour.

(expect- try a greek english interlinear to help you with the greek. it has the greek NT with the english under each greek word.)

Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM

thanks a lot hotinaz, donnyb, mike555- real good insights. i myself never thought there was a contradiction, but rather noticed people arguing about it lately. i will check out that greek/english NT as soon as i can.
thanks again

Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 PM

100 posts, read 343,908 times
Pauline theology is a doctrine of man. We need to simply get back to following the teachings of christ , which is what paul championed anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity