Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
So what would be the "correct" interpretation regarding stoning a woman caught in the act of adultery?
The Law said to stone her.
But Jesus said No.
This is a contradiction.
Jesus said he who is without sin, cast the first stone. Adultery is a sin we all have committed in our heart. Jesus said if we have even looked at a woman with lust, we have committed Adultery. We have all done it. Therefore we all deserve to be stoned to death.

Herein lies the problem: everything in the bible is spiritual ("my words are spirit"). The OT is a physical representation of the spiritual. The OT people thought all this stuff was physical. Don't kill, don't steal, don't covet. These are all problems of the heart - spiritual. The OT thought it was just physical, so they had physical laws - stone'em to death.

Its all spiritually understood. We are to stone to death the part of us that causes us to commit adultery in the heart. We are to cut it out. Cut out your eye, cut off your limb, if it causes you to sin, as Jesus said. Not physically, but spiritually. Cut out that bad thinking you have that causes you to sin. That is the meaning. Spiritual, not physical.

Many other things which are expressed physically in the OT take on a much grander meaning when you realize there are more spiritual layers there.

Just how I see it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Jesus said he who is without sin, cast the first stone. Adultery is a sin we all have committed in our heart. Jesus said if we have even looked at a woman with lust, we have committed Adultery. We have all done it. Therefore we all deserve to be stoned to death.

Herein lies the problem: everything in the bible is spiritual ("my words are spirit"). The OT is a physical representation of the spiritual. The OT people thought all this stuff was physical. Don't kill, don't steal, don't covet. These are all problems of the heart - spiritual. The OT thought it was just physical, so they had physical laws - stone'em to death.

Its all spiritually understood. We are to stone to death the part of us that causes us to commit adultery in the heart. We are to cut it out. Cut out your eye, cut off your limb, if it causes you to sin, as Jesus said. Not physically, but spiritually. Cut out that bad thinking you have that causes you to sin. That is the meaning. Spiritual, not physical.

Many other things which are expressed physically in the OT take on a much grander meaning when you realize there are more spiritual layers there.

Just how I see it...
Yes I agree.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
If God's plans need to be changed doesn't that mean they were not perfect?

Regarding your question. I truely don't know. But I think it has to do with Jesus writing in the sand. Somehow that scared away all people. I have no idea what He wrote. But obviously it had a huge impact on the crowed.
I can only find this verse but honestly I have no idea if there is a relation, and if there is is one, what exactly it is....

(Jer 17:13) O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake thee shall be put to shame. Those who depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken LORD, the fountain of living waters.
Hi WW,
Actually, some people would say that God "changed plans" when Adam disobeyed and got kicked out of the garden of Eden.
But I don't think God was caught off guard. I think He knew (and probably designed) things would go the way they did, so that He would provide Life to man through the gift of salvation.

One understanding of Jesus' writing in the sand, is that He wrote the sins of the others standing nearby.

The more I look at it, the more I see God's grace for us, in spite of anything we do or don't do.. -just God's grace to call us up higher into Him, because of His love for us.

Blessings!
brian

Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Just how I see it...
I also agree. Lots of layers. So much of it has a spiritual beauty when we are able to see it.
Like the words "Jerusalem" and "Mount Zion" as signifying man's heart.
Try to see God speaking to you about your heart (and the condition of man's heart in general) when you read verses about Zion and Jerusalem. Powerful stuff.

Or the dualistic nature: Adam vs. Christ (1st Adam vs Last Adam), Esau vs. Jacob, Egypt vs. Israel... Very symbolic, very profound.

Some of my favorite scriptures are in the OT. And the prophets' message is always the same: do righteously.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM

376 posts, read 419,803 times
Quote:
One understanding of Jesus' writing in the sand, is that He wrote the sins of the others standing nearby.
I'm not sure about that Brian.
He wrote in the sand twice.
Only at the second writing they ran away.
Why not the first time?
I think there is a very good and obvious reason.
But what? I have no clue

Could be their sins. It's likely they got embarrassed by it.
But again why not the first time?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM

376 posts, read 419,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I disagree.... God IS Love, it took becoming flesh dying an undeserved death at the hands of the world he loved to prove it, what more could he have done to prove it ?.
Sorry but I don't understand your reply.
I never denied what you wrote. I even 100% agree with it.
Yeah, I even noticed "IS"

Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Hi WW,
Actually, some people would say that God "changed plans" when Adam disobeyed and got kicked out of the garden of Eden.
But I don't think God was caught off guard. I think He knew (and probably designed) things would go the way they did, so that He would provide Life to man through the gift of salvation.

The more I look at it, the more I see God's grace for us, in spite of anything we do or don't do.. -just God's grace to call us up higher into Him, because of His love for us.

Blessings!
brian
This is the same spirit of the biblean

In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”
They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

Today they use the bible to thump the unbeliever to death with "the bible says if you don't believe you go hell" Jesus would stoop down again, get up and say "he that is without any unbelief in his life, let him be the first to bible thump them" to death".

The Word of God is an instrument of righteousness, not to be used for anything but to point a man to God and not himself. Look unto the Lord and Live.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM

120 posts, read 119,360 times
jesus was a man that lived 2000 years ago.. we are living now.. we must live our life in this time as fresh as it is.. we must "write" our own "gospel" and let our own light shine.. we have gotten so attached to the story that was used to show us that life is who we are and that is in the present moment.. everything that we need is right here with us at this present moment.. our "will", our thougths and our desires/our ego(false self) must be put to rest and life must be allowed to live thtorugh us , jsut as it did with jesus 2000 years ago. we are following the story so much that we forget the simple message that the story was used to teach.
Life is who we are.. we are life and Life takes care of itself. everything that we need is with us, our needs and wants are already here in truth.. the deisres of the ego are not our true deisres and will never be satisfied,, but once the ego dies.. life can freely live in us and through us, jsut as it did through jesus. we are no differnt to him. We must be the same life that he was.. differnt forms , differnt time but the same truth. differnt stories but the same truth within us all.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM

461 posts, read 480,862 times
No, it isn't what you think.

The Lord Moderator cut: deleted says this;

"Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."

"Let the man who has my words speak my words and speak the truth."

"Faithfulness has disappeared, the word of God is gone from their speech."

"The just mans mouth speaks wisdom and his tongue does what is right, the law of his God is in his heart and he will never stumble."

" If only they had stood in my counsel, if only they had declared my words to my people, they would have changed them from their wicked ways and evil deeds."

Blessed is he who finds no stumbling block in me.

JN 10:25 The works I do in my Father's name bear witness for me.

Jn 10:38 If you do not want to put faith in me then put faith in the works so you will see that the Lord is in me and I in Him.

JN 5:30 I do nothing on my own, I judge as I hear and my judgment is righteous because I am not seeking my own will but the will of the Lord who sent me.That's the word of the Lord who sent me. He commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-04-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This is the same spirit of the biblean

In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”
They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

Today they use the bible to thump the unbeliever to death with "the bible says if you don't believe you go hell" Jesus would stoop down again, get up and say "he that is without any unbelief in his life, let him be the first to bible thump them" to death".

The Word of God is an instrument of righteousness, not to be used for anything but to point a man to God and not himself. Look unto the Lord and Live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemagician View Post
jesus was a man that lived 2000 years ago.. we are living now.. we must live our life in this time as fresh as it is.. we must "write" our own "gospel" and let our own light shine.. we have gotten so attached to the story that was used to show us that life is who we are and that is in the present moment.. everything that we need is right here with us at this present moment.. our "will", our thougths and our desires/our ego(false self) must be put to rest and life must be allowed to live thtorugh us , jsut as it did with jesus 2000 years ago. we are following the story so much that we forget the simple message that the story was used to teach.
Life is who we are.. we are life and Life takes care of itself. everything that we need is with us, our needs and wants are already here in truth.. the deisres of the ego are not our true deisres and will never be satisfied,, but once the ego dies.. life can freely live in us and through us, jsut as it did through jesus. we are no differnt to him. We must be the same life that he was.. differnt forms , differnt time but the same truth. differnt stories but the same truth within us all.
I think you're both on the Way.

This morning I was thinking about the word "Christian."
Why were people called "Christians?"
Well, a Christian is a "little Christ." The early believers were little Christs. They knew Jesus Christ was in them, and that everything He was, they were becoming!

So too, we must become what He was. His Spirit is now in us, and that is why Jesus said, "YE are the light of the world." His Spirit is now in us, as believers. The true indicator of a Christian is he who knows and understands by experience that he is part of Christ, and no longer a separate soul. Jesus is in you and me today. If we can hear His voice, and follow that Spirit, this is Christ.

Where is Jesus Christ today? He's sitting at the computer writing posts at city-data, or wherever you may be! We are never separate from Him. "I shall never leave you, nor forsake you!" WOW.

He is us and we are Him. "He that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit." No more separation. Jesus isn't far off, separate from us. He is in us, here right now, He is our real image, our true self, no longer separate from God. The veil has been torn in two. Man and God united forever. "Be ye reconciled to God!" because God was in Him, reconciling man to Himself.

You and I are united with Jesus. The Christ (Spirit of God + a body of flesh) is what He was, and what we are. True, we are still growing. But Christ is not separate from us. We are infused together into One Spirit with Him. So we, too, are Christ.

It's not a scandalous thing to say that we are Christ. We are "the body" because Jesus (as one man from Nazareth) no longer exists. His presence is now within us. Christ is here now. You and I.

Blessings!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity