Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,162,351 times

Advertisements

My very good friend in Texas knows how much I enjoy listening to Joel Osteen so she called to tell me to watch him on the OWN Channel tonight. Since we here in NJ have to pay extra for that, I didn't get to watch it.

I have to wonder, she can't stand him - she thinks he is a big money-making phoney who is a scandal waiting to happen. I on the otherhand find him very inspiring and uplifting. I like to listen to him talk, and he always leaves me with something positive to think about going forward for the day ... There is one thing though ...

To me, he appears more of a combo of a life coach/motivational speaker who incorporates God and Christianity into his 30 minute shows each Sunday - He certainly making millions off his gift of Christianity/Spirituality and uplifting therapeutic services.

What are your thoughts - ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 23,584 times
i live in houston and love joel and victoria although i often wonder how any of the preachers and pastors get to afford the luxuries they have. if it comes from the parishoners of the church then why do they take so much while the ones their taking from barely are putting food on the table but are faithful in their giving to the church.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,607,553 times
I have two honest questions for you.

1. Are you a follower of Christ?

2. Do you accept scripture to be infallible?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
Joel is more of a motivational speaker, not unlike Robert Shuller. What he preaches is not Biblical Christianity. Just read the New Testament and then compare it to Osteens sermons. There is very little in common. Joel is even afraid to say that Jesus is the only way to heaven, which the New Testament clearly teaches, and Jesus says several times in numerous ways. "I am the door, I am the gate, I am the way, No one comes to the Father except by me" etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,666,008 times
Joel Osteen ? What do I think of him ? No good.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,640,000 times
I'm a Catholic and I have no idea why anyone would believe people like Joel are nothing more than money grubbing charlatans.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I'm a Catholic and I have no idea why anyone would believe people like Joel are nothing more than money grubbing charlatans.
Well, I'm a Catholic and believe Joel Osteen sincerely believes in Christ and sincerely believes he is following Him right and preaching the right Gospel, whether this is really true or not. He is more of a motivational speaker and less actual Gospel-preacher, but I won't hold that against him. I watch and listen to him to be motivated and uplifted, but go to Mass to actually worship God. As for the money he makes, so what? Did not Jesus say "seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added to you," not, "seek first the kingdom of God and always be poor"? And did not Paul explain that a preacher of the Gospel was to be rightly compensated? Many anti-Catholics look at our Church, at all the gold, the art, etc, etc...and say the same thing.....

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
cmforte: What Paul was speaking about, IMHO, is that an evangelist, pastor, teacher, who gives his full time to ministry, deserves to have funds to live on, support a family etc. That does not include earning millions of dollars. Christianity should not be turned into a business. Whatever Joel O. makes, I really don't care. What I care is that he does not speak the truth about what the Bible teaches and promises prosperity when the New Testament does not promise anything of the kind.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,544,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
cmforte: What Paul was speaking about, IMHO, is that an evangelist, pastor, teacher, who gives his full time to ministry, deserves to have funds to live on, support a family etc. That does not include earning millions of dollars. Christianity should not be turned into a business. Whatever Joel O. makes, I really don't care. What I care is that he does not speak the truth about what the Bible teaches and promises prosperity when the New Testament does not promise anything of the kind.
What I have to say does not reflect on Joel per say or anyone else but about the Truth itself.

Prosperity is relative but you can be sure that a lazy man will not prosper. God does not promise one to be a millionaire but you can be sure He does not want us begging for bread or living in the streets.

3JN 1:1 "The elder unto the well beloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.
3JN 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers."
The alternative is to say that God wants us to be poor, not able to meet our needs and to be in poor health. This may happen but it is written, "Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things shall be added to you." His strength and honesty will get you a job to prosper or if not able to work, supply your needs in another way.

1COR 16:2 "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God has prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
PROV 3:9 Honor the LORD with your substance, and with the first fruits of all your increase:
PROV 3:10 So shall your barns be filled with plenty, and your presses shall burst out with new wine."

The meaning of prosperity is to be taken on balance and to realize that there is no quick remedy to success.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,657,177 times
If you weren't enjoying him on TV, you might have been buying a car or a house from him. He has a charismatic personality. His followers pay for for his lifestyle. Catholic priests and nuns take a vow of poverty, as they are not devoted to god to get rich. Osteen can sell anything from god to life insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity