Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,192,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
UR is another gospel.
Can't argue with you there.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Are you comparing the desciption of a historical event to Jesus saying that He is the door?

Was Jesus born? Was He crusified? Or are those just other symbolic fairytales or something else?
There is symbolism in all the scriptures whether they are literal or not.

Do you believe the devil is a serpent or snake that goes around crawling around on his belly eating dust, tempting christians to sin. ?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who is there left to devour if everyone is saved Poor ol' devil must be unemployed by now.
Sounds like you're pretty concerned about him. Is that it? Is it that it's just too demoralizing to accept the fact that the same God who loves you also loves me?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sounds like you're pretty concerned about him. Is that it?
No, it was Ilene who made the comment: "The enemy lies in wait to devour those who don't know Jesus Christ"

Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Maybe we are actually living in the "end times", who knows for sure but I know for a fact from reading the red letters of the Bible that Jesus came to love and to save, not to destroy and condemn.
That's true, but it's also something else. It's a "partial" truth or "skewed truth" which actually is very prevalent in the UR arguments. True, Jesus does not condemn but rejection and unbelief DOES condemn.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. John 3:17-18

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,946 times
Quote:
That's right, UR (Universal Reconciliation) is NOT THE ENEMY!! The enemy lies in wait to devour those who don't know Jesus Christ and CU's (Christian Universalists) know Jesus Christ! He is the only way to salvation in this life and the next, and it is misinformation and brainwashed stubbornness that keeps people from realizing this truth.

How do I know? Because anyone who has been here any length of time knows how I used to be as a fundamentalist ETer (eternal torment). JGHorton just started a thread that I could have started a year ago, no problem. But I've learned a truth, I'm not saying it's "the truth" but I am saying that between me and God it is my only truth. It's sooooo wonderful knowing the true nature of God, and the great plan He has for all of us.

What's my point? The point is that UR is not from the devil or a false "religion" or belief. There is as much support for it in the Bible as there is for ET or annihilation. So what does that tell you? Somebody is wrong. But who is it? Or are we all right in some ways?
This is actually one of the most encouraging posts I've seen from a "UR" in a long time because it seems to me the Spirit of the Lord is speaking to you and your just not quite as sure as you might have once been. We can't all be right in some ways about this subject, Ilene. Either everyone will be saved or when Jesus was asked "Will only a few be saved?" He would have said "Yes", not started teaching on the narrow path to life and the wide path to destruction. (See Luke 13 and I Peter 3)

Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,161 times
Quote:
I have read the red letter words of the Bible, and Jesus came in peace and love, not condemnation and arrogance. I love you too Robin, more than you could ever know but we differ greatly in what we believe. Satan has nothing to do with UR, that's just an uninformed opinion that just is not true. I'm not saying there isn't a great commission, it's just that the Word of God has been spread and either people reject it or accept it, we have no control over that.

Maybe we are actually living in the "end times", who knows for sure but I know for a fact from reading the red letters of the Bible that Jesus came to love and to save, not to destroy and condemn. That's what I base my belief on, what Jesus stood for and still stands for today. Love God and each other, there's nothing greater than the power of LOVE.
His love is beyond our understanding of love. He said such things as "Go and sin no more" "I knew you not" "You brood of vipers". He has come to seperate the wheat from the chaff. Who are the chaff? I have a theory if your interested.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

63,898 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's true, but it's also something else. It's a "partial" truth or "skewed truth" which actually is very prevalent in the UR arguments. True, Jesus does not condemn but rejection and unbelief DOES condemn.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. John 3:17-18
The absolutely crucial difference between your understanding and that of the CU's, Alpha . . . is in the phrase "believe on/into" (pisteo eis) versus "believe in." Too many in the mainstream fundamentalist religions use the "intellectual acknowledgment" ("believe in") sense which is NOT true belief. Belief is not a simple intellectual choice. If it were we could willfully choose to believe what we do not currently believe. We cannot.

"Believe on/into" is an inner conviction that cannot be chosen or changed by force of our will . . . and that is what "believe on" Jesus means. Virtually all Christians here "believe on" Jesus, Alpha . . . regardless what they intellectually believe. There are no real disputes . . . only the appearance of disputes over unessential "intellectual choices" that have no bearing whatsoever on what we truly believe.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Many live as if they are never going to die; and then die having never really lived.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,632,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

1 Cor 5:5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.
That's an excellent verse Legoman!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.