Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,786,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Have you seen it? Do you like it? It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks - if you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't.
I liked it. I thought Neely did a good job. But I like most movies made about Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That trash is blasphemous to the core. No Christian should have anything to do with it.

Here's a couple of links that give some details of this garbage which mocks the Jesus Christ of the Bible and presents a false Jesus.

Free Presbyterian Church - Online Pamphlet

Jesus Christ Superstar is against our faith « THE CHRISTIANITY

Watch 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' and 'Jesus of Nazareth' instead. Although they contain inaccuracies, they are uplifting and inspirational, and attempt to tell the story of Jesus Christ truthfully.
Saw it. Excellent movie.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's what I'd like to know.

Actually, I remember when it first came out. When I first heard the name of the show, I remember being kind of offended. "Superstar"? Why would anyone refer to the Lord as a "Superstar"? It did seem kind of disrespectful, mostly because it inspired feelings of flamboyant excess instead of reverence and respect. I decided to see it anyway, though, and came away from it with a different feeling than I went into it with. As hljc said, Jesus' divinity was "watered down." That bothered me, but it gave me some insight into how a lot of people view Him -- as a good man and great teacher, but not as the Son of God. I thought it was interesting because I suspect that many of the people who knew Him personally didn't really realize who He was until after the Resurrection.
Although I found it good as far as entertainment value, I would not view it as a historical story of Jesus Christ. Not only was his divinity watered down but other thing were watered up- especially that scene in the temple when he ran around smashing things and tipping things over. Jesus was without sin and certainly would not have allowed his temper to get the best of him. But while I do find it inaccurate, I do not see it as "sinful" or awful either.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
First of all, I did not see the movie. Nor is that in any way relevant to the fact that the movie is blasphemous. Many reviews are available which describe the movie. I did see 'The Last Temptation of Christ'. Another blasphemous movie.

How does 'Jesus Christ Superstar' ridicule Jesus Christ? In the following ways.

Excerpt:
That Jesus Christ fornicated with Mary Magdalene who is portrayed as a harlot.
* That Jesus Christ was only a man and not the Messiah He claimed to be.
Moderator cut: "Snippet" only
superstar

Some say there was a resurrection scene. This is what they are talking about.

Excerpt:
A common criticsm of Jesus Christ Superstar is the apparent absence of a resurrection scene. Some stage productions of JCS include a resurrection sequence. The original Webber/Rice score does not have Christ resurrected. Some people consider the closing shot in the film to be Jewison's tip of the hat to Christians looking for an empty tomb. At the bottom of the screen when the camera zooms out from the empty cross, you see silhouettes of a shepherd and sheep walking from right to left. One interpretation is that this is the Good Shepderd leading his 'sheep' home.
http://www2.elca.org/youth/reelworld...csuperstar.pdf

That is not a resurrection scene.

The following two excerpts are from the Christian site, Bible Questions Answered
Excerpt#1
In a later scene, Jesus is surrounded by people who need healing. No one is healed; rather, an overwhelmed Jesus cries out, “There’s too many of you. There’s too little of me. Leave me alone!”

Excerpt#2
Jesus’ prayer in the garden is very telling. He admits that He has changed, that He is no longer inspired. Now He’s only “sad and tired.” After three years of trying to serve God, Jesus has lost His original vision. Considering becoming a martyr, Jesus selfishly asks, “Will I be more noticed? What will be my reward?” This is in contrast to Judas’s not wanting a reward for his betrayal. At the end of the prayer, Jesus finally submits to God’s plan—sort of. The song ends with an equivocation: “Take me now, before I change my mind.”
Is the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar biblical?

Jesus is presented as just a man.

Now all that some will get out of this is that I did not see the movie. Again, that is totally irrevelant.
He WAS a man during his life on Earth. He was born in a horse stable and worked as a carpenter. Few people believed or knew he was God in the physical form until his death and resurrection 3 days later.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He WAS a man during his life on Earth. He was born in a horse stable and worked as a carpenter. Few people believed or knew he was God in the physical form until his death and resurrection 3 days later.
He was presented as ONLY a man in the movie. And that is blasphemous. Since His incarnation, He is the God-Man. Undiminished deity and true humanity in one Person.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,872,932 times
Good grief!! How do you people manage to survive in the 21st century? No doubt if you had your way, we'd all be burnt at the stake. I'd like to see you all transported back to the middle ages where you belong.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,247 times
I saw Jesus Christ Super Star and I don't see how it is wrong? Tell me what part or parts that did not depict the Bible? If you don't like Rock? well there are Christian Rock groups. if you are against the movie, don't tell me it's wrong tell me how you see it as wrong?

Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,643,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I just wondered how many of you have seen the movie and/or play and what your opinion is about it. It is good, just OK or just outright blasphemy?
Jesus Christ is God almighty born into his creation as the son in essence of the Father. The creation (Col 1:14-18) and redemption are attributed to him and by him alone can our relationship be restored to the Father. Through Christ all of mankind will be judged and we will all have our day in the eternal court. The born-again believers in Christ will have his sacrifice to redeem us from the wages of sin. The wages of sin is death. All that aren't in Christ will have to pay for their own sins by what's written by the words of Christ in the scriptures. Scripture makes it clear we need a redeemer through the messiah and him alone. All that don't have this covering for their sin face condemnation to Gehenna/ Lake of Fire where the worm dies not and fire is not quenched.

Message is get In-Christ by being born again into his spirit. Time is short now. There might not be a tomorrow.

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,871,640 times
I never seen it but I have been meaning to; anyway here is a Catholic review on it
‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ at Chanhassen is a thought-provoking Lenten musical | TheCatholicSpirit.com

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,441,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think people need to lighten up. It's a musical.
I agree. Carl Anderson and Yvonne Elliman were awesome vocalists and performers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity