Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,209,864 times

Advertisements

I actually like "Jesus Christ Superstar" quite a bit. First of all, I am a real fan of Andrew Lloyd-Weber, so it's primarily the music I like. Most Mormons I know wouldn't think of seeing it, but I found it interesting myself, primarily because it helped me understand how the young people (i.e high school and college age) of the early 1970s viewed Christ. Granted, their understanding of who He was was vastly different from mine, but I always enjoy learning about other people's perspectives. There were certain things about it that bothered me. One of them was the way it depicted Christ in Gethsemane. Even though He basically ended up saying, "Thy will be done," I was left feeling unconvinced that He meant it. He seemed to harbor a certain amount of resentment that His Father had asked Him to die for humanity. In reality, I believe that He was 100% willing to offer Himself as a sacrifice and was not the slightest bit angry about His role of Savior. I also found the Apostles' and Mary Magdalene's reactions to what was going on quite interesting. I actually thought that the song, "Could we start again, please?" was probably pretty realistic in how it portrayed their feelings after He died. I just don't think they really understood who He was and how everything turned bad for Him so suddenly. It just showed how stunned they really were at how His life ended. (This, of course, was prior to His Resurrection.)

I can understand how some people would find it blasphemous, but I guess I just went into it with the idea that it would be interesting to see how another group of people (i.e. the late '60s and early '70s hippy crowd) viewed Him. I think they were sincere in their love for Him, but just misguided in how they understood the story.

I also think there are definitely better depictions of His ministry and last week of life, "The Greatest Story Ever Told" being one of them. It did kind of bug me to learn that Max von Sydow is an atheist, though. It seems like one of the qualifications a person should have to have to play the part of Jesus would be to believe in Him.

I'm also kind of curious as to how many of the people who said, "It's blasphemous!" ever actually saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,620,114 times
I saw the original play on Broadway in the 1970's and thought it was fantastic; I can't believe many posters never heard of the play or movie or music? Here's one song>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKLX...eature=related

Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,297,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orpaned reference It's just a musical. It's not a documentary. There are all sorts of depictions and movies and musicals about God and Jesus and everything. Not all of them suit everyone. And I'm sorry - but I don't believe that Satan actually wrote things that you people find blasphemous. It just sounds like people are going to give themselves a heart attack being so upset about it. Relax - you don't have to watch it!
Personally, I think it's somewhat enjoyable but I don't think it's musical theatre at it's best. I prefer Sondheim. However Andrew Lloyd Weber has helped me pay my bills many times over the years so I really can't knock his stuff!

Last edited by june 7th; 10-24-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,209,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I saw the original play on Broadway in the 1970's and thought it was fantastic; I can't believe many posters never heard of the play or movie or music?
Yeah, but you forget, a lot of these people aren't old like you and I. I actually saw the revival that was on Broadway in 2000. I don't think it ran all that long then. What struck me as odd was that I'd taken my nineteen-year-old son to New York for the first time on the condition that he'd see a couple of broadway shows with me. Since he'd seen the movie (on DVD of course, since he wasn't even alive when the movie first came out), I figured he'd be familiar with the music at least, and might like it. Okay, so my son is totally not religious. I'd stopped fighting with him to get him to go to church with the family on Sundays about four years earlier. Anyway, at intermission, I asked him how he was liking it. He said, "You know, Mom, I'm really surprised that you like it. To me it seems so blasphemous."

Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,297,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, but you forget, a lot of these people aren't old like you and I. I actually saw the revival that was on Broadway in 2000. I don't think it ran all that long then. What struck me as odd was that I'd taken my nineteen-year-old son to New York for the first time on the condition that he'd see a couple of broadway shows with me. Since he'd seen the movie (on DVD of course, since he wasn't even alive when the movie first came out), I figured he'd be familiar with the music at least, and might like it. Okay, so my son is totally not religious. I'd stopped fighting with him to get him to go to church with the family on Sundays about four years earlier. Anyway, at intermission, I asked him how he was liking it. He said, "You know, Mom, I'm really surprised that you like it. To me it seems so blasphemous."
That's funny! They did it at my highschool the year after I graduated - and one of my friends was not allowed to be in it because his mom wouldn't let him. They were Mormon and I ran into her at the mall one day and she went on and on about how blasphemous it was and didn't I think so, too! Well, I kind of just politely excused myself from the conversation! A couple years ago, a theatre company that I have done a lot of shows with did Superstar - and one of my really good friends was in it. And he is Mormon, too! So - it just goes to show you - different people have different reactions to it!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 PM

24 posts, read 48,336 times
It's no "Life Of Brian", but it's OK.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,701,734 times
It's from the 70's and I recall how,esp. black ppl,just loved it.
I don't see it as beibg good or bad,I guess it just depends on your view.I thought,hey,if it brings ppl to Jesus,then it works.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,981,164 times
There is nothing to be scared of . . . it is very entertaining! I don't think you will rot in Hell for seeing it! (If you do, then that is one mean God!)

Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 AM

478 posts, read 777,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That trash is blasphemous to the core. No Christian should have anything to do with it.

Here's a couple of links that give some details of this garbage which mocks the Jesus Christ of the Bible and presents a false Jesus.

Free Presbyterian Church - Online Pamphlet

Jesus Christ Superstar is against our faith « THE CHRISTIANITY

Watch 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' and 'Jesus of Nazareth' instead. Although they contain inaccuracies, they are uplifting and inspirational, and attempt to tell the story of Jesus Christ truthfully.
It seems you're pretty interested and knowledgeable about this musical that you say you distaste; and so much so that you even have links furthering why it is so horrible? If you don't like something, don't like it, and move on.

Weird how some people devote so much energy HATING something, and as well promoting how hateful and awful something is- as if they like clinging to the feeling of being offended or something, and want to share this feeling with as many people as possible so they can be offended and appalled too...

Incidentally, I happen to love "Jesus of Nazareth"- you're right, it's a wonderful film. Though the ending sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think people need to lighten up. It's a musical.
No kidding, thank you! I don't get why everyone gets in such a huff about something that was created FOR ENTERTAINMENT! For people to watch, BY CHOICE, if they want to! Or not. The severity of how utterly angry and riled up people get about things they find offensive is peculiar at the very least, and I just don't know what the big deal is. There are plenty of films, albums, and all kinds of media I don't like- pieces that I personally think do not show justice to, or shed kind or fair light upon certain people, events in history and so on- and it isnt' a big deal. I expect it from time to time, and actually find it somewhat healthy to have something jar me a bit and make me think about, and help confirm what I do, and do not believe in. But it seems like when it comes to religion, people get so tore up and almost seem to take it as a personal affront to themselves or something. But to go so far as to decry what is nothing more than a creative endeavor as "garbage" is just ignorant.

But as for what I think about "Jesus Christ Superstar"- I like it. I'm not usually a fan of musicals, but I do enjoy the music and the acting, and all the groovy clothing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It is Satanic propaganda designed to obscure the truth of the Gospel accounts of Christ. Satan uses entertainment among other things to promote his cosmic doctrines. As an unbeliever you will not understand or believe that. Nevertheless, it is true. And no Christian should waste one moment of their time on anything which mocks God.

No believer in the Lord Jesus Christ who has an ounce of Bible doctrine in their soul, and loves God could possibly find anything entertaining about that so called 'musical'.
Satanic propaganda? Are you serious?! Sorry, but you're really grasping at straws on that one. Nothing- not this musical, or ANY thing in existence 'obscures' the truth for anyone that HAS the truth- or at least believes strongly that they do. Anyone who is secure and confident in what they believe should have no problem with this, or anything at all, for that matter. Seems only those who are insecure or doubtful in the strength of their faith and convictions might fear danger or disruption from exposure to something touted as 'blasphemous'.

And for you to remotely suggest that anyone, christian or not, should not "waste" their time on this, or anything else is pretty narrow minded. Are you afraid that if someone watches this that they might learn something, or be exposed to something that makes them think and ponder on new thoughts and ideas, to where they might deviate- even slightly- from what they already believe? And, if so, why and how is that bad? Again, if one is strong in what they believe, it's pretty easy to take things for what they are (in this case, entertainment) and either enjoy things that come their way or not. And when something comes along that isn't within the parameters of one's belief system, or challenges said beliefs in a way that is uncomfortable- well, then scoff it off, and move on. Stop wasting time and energy towards negativity- and as well harboring it and then passing it on to those of us who don't have use for it.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-24-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 AM

33,424 posts, read 26,764,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
It seems you're pretty interested and knowledgeable about this musical that you say you distaste; and so much so that you even have links furthering why it is so horrible? If you don't like something, don't like it, and move on.

Weird how some people devote so much energy HATING something, and as well promoting how hateful and awful something is- as if they like clinging to the feeling of being offended or something, and want to share this feeling with as many people as possible so they can be offended and appalled too...

Incidentally, I happen to love "Jesus of Nazareth"- you're right, it's a wonderful film. Though the ending sucks...

No kidding, thank you! I don't get why everyone gets in such a huff about something that was created FOR ENTERTAINMENT! For people to watch, BY CHOICE, if they want to! Or not. The severity of how utterly angry and riled up people get about things they find offensive is peculiar at the very least, and I just don't know what the big deal is. There are plenty of films, albums, and all kinds of media I don't like- pieces that I personally think do not show justice to, or shed kind or fair light upon certain people, events in history and so on- and it isnt' a big deal. I expect it from time to time, and actually find it somewhat healthy to have something jar me a bit and make me think about, and help confirm what I do, and do not believe in. But it seems like when it comes to religion, people get so tore up and almost seem to take it as a personal affront to themselves or something. But to go so far as to decry what is nothing more than a creative endeavor as "garbage" is just ignorant.

But as for what I think about "Jesus Christ Superstar"- I like it. I'm not usually a fan of musicals, but I do enjoy the music and the acting, and all the groovy clothing....

She wasn't being rude at all, she was being realistic. It's a MUSICAL we're talking about! She "gets" it- some don't. Nothing rude about that, she was just further expressing her opinion much like you are yours, above.. And quite frankly, I think it is rude of you to point out and highlight her remark and publicly condemn it, as if there was something wrong with it- not to mention 'remind' her that she's on a christian forum and what she should expect. We all know where we're posting and what the deal is, thanks for the reminder.

Satanic propaganda? Are you serious?! Sorry, but you're really grasping at straws on that one. Nothing- not this musical, or ANY thing in existence 'obscures' the truth for anyone that HAS the truth- or at least believes strongly that they do. Anyone who is secure and confident in what they believe should have no problem with this, or anything at all, for that matter. Seems only those who are insecure or doubtful in the strength of their faith and convictions might fear danger or disruption from exposure to something touted as 'blasphemous'.

And for you to remotely suggest that anyone, christian or not, should not "waste" their time on this, or anything else is pretty narrow minded. Are you afraid that if someone watches this that they might learn something, or be exposed to something that makes them think and ponder on new thoughts and ideas, to where they might deviate- even slightly- from what they already believe? And, if so, why and how is that bad? Again, if one is strong in what they believe, it's pretty easy to take things for what they are (in this case, entertainment) and either enjoy things that come their way or not. And when something comes along that isn't within the parameters of one's belief system, or challenges said beliefs in a way that is uncomfortable- well, then scoff it off, and move on. Stop wasting time and energy towards negativity- and as well harboring it and then passing it on to those of us who don't have use for it.
Fella, I'm not suggesting anything. I am flat out telling everyone who is reading this that 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is blasphemous. Narrow minded? When it comes to standing up for the truth and for the honor of the Lord and God of the universe, you bet I am. 'Jesus Christ Superstar' misrepresents Jesus Christ. And it is Satan who is behind any attempt to misrepresent and ridicule the Lord. We live in the devil's world and are in the middle of the angelic conflict. Satan rules this world with his cosmic doctrines. And he uses entertainment, art, literature, philosophy, religion, cults, education, governments, and organizations to accomplish his purpose, which is to oppose God in every way.

Here are those links again.

Free Presbyterian Church - Online Pamphlet

Jesus Christ Superstar is against our faith « THE CHRISTIANITY

Listen. Anyone who is a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and who wants to watch something which blasphemes the Lord, and considers it entertainment, has got a serious problem with his spiritual life.

Phil 4:8 'Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.

I would be remiss if I were not to point out that 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is nothing but an attempt inspired by the devil to ridicule Jesus Christ.

There are a number of movies which seek to honor the Lord and which are quite entertaining. But then there are movies that seek to belittle and distort the truth concerning Jesus Christ. 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is one of the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity