Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 AM

488 posts, read 1,254,186 times

Advertisements

why would it be a blasphemy???
Anyway, I quite like that movie, especially the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,704,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I just wondered how many of you have seen the movie and/or play and what your opinion is about it. It is good, just OK or just outright blasphemy?
I've seen it. I enjoyed it. Then again, I've always been of the opinion that since the bible doesn't say Jesus got married, that he was probably gay. It makes perfect sense that Judas betrayed him because he was a spurned lover. That's assuming any of the biblical story is true to begin with.

It's a classic musical, worth the watch. Not blasphemy in my opinion, but then again I don't think you can blasphemize a Moderator cut: delted

Last edited by june 7th; 10-25-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM

28,150 posts, read 30,097,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
There are some one Billion Christians, although that number shrinks daily...
Not that it has anything at all to do with the topic of the OP, but why on earth would you say something like this when it is obviously false? Even if there were no converts to Christianity from other religions, the birthrate alone would keep the religion increasing instead of decreasing.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM

7,615 posts, read 6,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Not that it has anything at all to do with the topic of the OP, but why on earth would you say something like this when it is obviously false? Even if there were no converts to Christianity from other religions, the birthrate alone would keep the religion increasing instead of decreasing.

It is statistically, as more and more people leave it. Religions of the world: numbers of adherents; growth rates

NOW Back to Jesus Christ SUPERSTAR !!!!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,897,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
NOW Back to Jesus Christ SUPERSTAR !!!!
Ian Gillan as JC..Awesome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cCu...eature=related

Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 AM

478 posts, read 775,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Fella, I'm not suggesting anything. I am flat out telling everyone who is reading this that 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is blasphemous. Narrow minded? When it comes to standing up for the truth and for the honor of the Lord and God of the universe, you bet I am. 'Jesus Christ Superstar' misrepresents Jesus Christ. And it is Satan who is behind any attempt to misrepresent and ridicule the Lord. We live in the devil's world and are in the middle of the angelic conflict. Satan rules this world with his cosmic doctrines. And he uses entertainment, art, literature, philosophy, religion, cults, education, governments, and organizations to accomplish his purpose, which is to oppose God in every way.

Here are those links again.

Free Presbyterian Church - Online Pamphlet

Jesus Christ Superstar is against our faith « THE CHRISTIANITY

Listen. Anyone who is a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and who wants to watch something which blasphemes the Lord, and considers it entertainment, has got a serious problem with his spiritual life.
I ain't no "fella"- not that it matters and it's no biggie, we're all kind of ambiguous here so I'm just sayin'! But again, it's still peculiar to me that you go out of your way (and even RE post those links, as if we didn't see them the first time) to get so riled up about something that is merely entertainment- nothing more nothing less. It's not like this is being taught in school as a means to tell people who jesus was and what he is about. This is simply ONE interpretation of jesus and his life. And, quite frankly, I see no problem with it and, nor can I see how anyone strong in their faith would either. Some may just disagree is all, but it's not something worthy of getting one's panties in a proverbial wad over.

Quote:
First of all, I did not see the movie. Nor is that in any way relevant to the fact that the movie is blasphemous. Many reviews are available which describe the movie. I did see 'The Last Temptation of Christ'. Another blasphemous movie.

Jesus is presented as just a man.

Now all that some will get out of this is that I did not see the movie. Again, that is totally irrevelant.
So now the truth comes out- you DID NOT EVEN EVER SEE IT!!!! And sorry, but whether or not you saw it is TOTALLY relevant. How on earth can you think you have any remote credibility here talking about it otherwise?!? Seriously- watch the film, and then get back to us. Until then be respectful and do your homework before you start opining on something which you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about. Do you just take other people's word for everything else too, like the media, your church, etc?! Don't believe what anyone else says, do your own research about anything and everything if you wish to be wise and informed.

And as per the last part there- jesus WAS just a man. People so easily forget that. Did he embody the spirit of god, and was he god incarnate, maybe at some, or maybe all of his life? Perhaps, and the specifics are up to one's own interpretation. But it is inarguable that if jesus in fact walked this earth, then he WAS A MAN. A man with human feelings and difficulties like the rest of us- and then some. I mean my goodness, do you guys have no empathy for what poor jesus dealt with in his life as a walking man, god incarnate or not?! Seems that "christians" of all people would have a heart and understand, instead of being repelled and repulsed by the very notion that jesus did exhibit some less than pleasant human emotions- and wasn't the "false", inhuman creature that some of you would like him to have been.

But again, watch the film and then get back to us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
This musical is offensive because it's mocking our God. Plain and simple. Since you aren't a Christian I wouldn't expect you to agree with me, but that's beside the point. It comes down to respect.
Creativity, in any regard, has NOTHING to do with respect, or lack thereof. It's about INTERPRETATION, by the artist, and as well the rest of everyone else. And while you very well be offended by this, and anything else- please, don't take art in any form personally. I can certainly respect that you may not care for it, and/or that this and maybe other things hit you personally, but realize and leave at that. Art isn't a black or white issue, ever.

As well, it's unfair and just plain foolish to play the "you're not a christian" card when it comes to things some may view as blasphemous. For example, I have a good friend who is probably the most devout christian I've ever met. But he LOVES bands like Slayer, Venom, and all kinds of other bands that no doubt many christians literally shudder at just the thought of. And I SO respect him, because to me- he is such a glowing example of how one can be completely true to one's faith, and love for jesus and himself while still being able to enjoy whatever he likes- on, and within his own terms. His faith is strong enough to where NOTHING is a threat. Perhaps such an outlook might be one to adopt? He sure is a lot happier than a lot of people I see here who get upset over every darn little thing they think blasphemes them or their little world of faith...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The people who are offended are so literal and the arguments are so simplistic. How does this impact YOU and your spirituality? If it bothers you, maybe instead of getting so incensed and wasting time on the Internet complaining, you might go out and volunteer in your community or do something positive for someone. Just a suggestion. Being outraged at "The Devil" is a waste of time in my world. Said with all due respect, of course!
YAY! Yes, I SO wish people would lead by example instead of talking a big talk, and doing nothing. Anger and resentment are two very useless emotions; however, can be just the fuel to further a good cause- when one chooses to direct either or both in a positive manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't remember Christ fornicating with Mary... maybe I miseed something? And she wasn't just a harlot, either.
If I recall correctly - the scene where he is healing people - the people are almost attacking him. It's not that he is just feeling overwhelmed because of the healing - he's being almost physically overpowered. The people have become like an angry mob.
You didn't miss anything; the bible mentions nothing about jesus being married to Mary, nor him having intimate relations with her. However, it stands very well to reason that she was in fact his wife; it would have been unusual for a jew at his age to remain unmarried, even as a rabbi sage that he was. And as well, in every visual depiction last supper, it was she by his side. Were she not his wife, based on the traditions and standards of society and judaism back then, a non-wed female would otherwise not be permitted in such a setting among a grouping of men...

Quote:
I would be remiss if I were not to point out that 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is nothing but an attempt inspired by the devil to ridicule Jesus Christ.
Get real. It's just a guy who had a vision that's different from yours. No "Devil" here so please, come back to reality.

Quote:
There are a number of movies which seek to honor the Lord and which are quite entertaining. But then there are movies that seek to belittle and distort the truth concerning Jesus Christ. 'Jesus Christ Superstar' is one of the latter.
I can appreciate the first part of your statement, that there are some movies that well befit the story and life of jesus the way YOU prefer it to be told. But simply because you yourself do not care for a particular angle of thought, or documentation of a man's life who NONE of us have any real truth about, doesn't mean they are blasphemous or non-credible. It's just another angle, and means of looking at a story and- honestly- I think those of us who are wise investigate and entertain as many of these angles as possible. And I dare to say that for even those of you who think "Jesus Christ Superstar" is blasphemous in a general sense- I'd find it difficult to believe that there isn't at least something within this piece that taught you, or showed you something that you hadn't before thought of yourself. It's all about learning and thinking. Cheers.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,897,740 times
Excellent post helios.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,621,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
I ain't no "fella"- not that it matters and it's no biggie, we're all kind of ambiguous here so I'm just sayin'! But again, it's still peculiar to me that you go out of your way (and even RE post those links, as if we didn't see them the first time) to get so riled up about something that is merely entertainment- nothing more nothing less. It's not like this is being taught in school as a means to tell people who jesus was and what he is about. This is simply ONE interpretation of jesus and his life. And, quite frankly, I see no problem with it and, nor can I see how anyone strong in their faith would either. Some may just disagree is all, but it's not something worthy of getting one's panties in a proverbial wad over.
Perhaps you meant anonymous, not ambiguous.

Here they are again, back for an encore.

Free Presbyterian Church - Online Pamphlet

Jesus Christ Superstar is against our faith « THE CHRISTIANITY

I merely posted my reply and gave the reason for why the movie is blasphemous.

I'll say it again. This is the devils world and he uses among other things, entertainment to attack the truth of God's word.

Nor was I riled up as you put it. It was simply a statement of fact.

Quote:
So now the truth comes out- you DID NOT EVEN EVER SEE IT!!!! And sorry, but whether or not you saw it is TOTALLY relevant. How on earth can you think you have any remote credibility here talking about it otherwise?!? Seriously- watch the film, and then get back to us. Until then be respectful and do your homework before you start opining on something which you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about. Do you just take other people's word for everything else too, like the media, your church, etc?! Don't believe what anyone else says, do your own research about anything and everything if you wish to be wise and informed.
It is completely irrelevant whether I saw it or not. Many have seen it and there are reviews aplenty with which to understand what it is about. The same goes for 'The Shack'. That thing is an attack on the word of God. And no, I didn't read that either.

Quote:
And as per the last part there- jesus WAS just a man. People so easily forget that. Did he embody the spirit of god, and was he god incarnate, maybe at some, or maybe all of his life? Perhaps, and the specifics are up to one's own interpretation. But it is inarguable that if jesus in fact walked this earth, then he WAS A MAN. A man with human feelings and difficulties like the rest of us- and then some. I mean my goodness, do you guys have no empathy for what poor jesus dealt with in his life as a walking man, god incarnate or not?! Seems that "christians" of all people would have a heart and understand, instead of being repelled and repulsed by the very notion that jesus did exhibit some less than pleasant human emotions- and wasn't the "false", inhuman creature that some of you would like him to have been.

No, Jesus was not just a man. He was and is the God-Man. The unique Person of the universe. Undiminished deity and true humanity in one Person.

Quote:
But again, watch the film and then get back to us...
To blazes with that idea.

Quote:
Get real. It's just a guy who had a vision that's different from yours. No "Devil" here so please, come back to reality.
Satan uses people to promote his cosmic doctrines. This is a lost and dying world and it is ruled by the devil until the time that Christ returns. Satan's system with which he seeks to control the world is cosmos diabolicus. Entertainment is a very effective way of dulling the mind to the truth and inculcating cosmic doctrines.

Quote:
I can appreciate the first part of your statement, that there are some movies that well befit the story and life of jesus the way YOU prefer it to be told. But simply because you yourself do not care for a particular angle of thought, or documentation of a man's life who NONE of us have any real truth about, doesn't mean they are blasphemous or non-credible. It's just another angle, and means of looking at a story and- honestly- I think those of us who are wise investigate and entertain as many of these angles as possible. And I dare to say that for even those of you who think "Jesus Christ Superstar" is blasphemous in a general sense- I'd find it difficult to believe that there isn't at least something within this piece that taught you, or showed you something that you hadn't before thought of yourself. It's all about learning and thinking. Cheers.
The truth is that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is God. And He came into the world as a man to die on the cross as a substitute for you. He died in your place so that you could avoid eternity future in the lake of fire. But you must make a personal decision to receive Christ as your Savior in order to receive the gift of salvation.

The movie does not portray Jesus Christ truthfully. It denies the deity of Christ. It is therefore blasphemous.

As for the way it presents Jesus' relationship with Mary Magdalene, the movie presents her as a prostitute who sings

He's a man, he's just a man
And I've had so many men before.
In many ways
He's just one more

The movie is trash and not worth the time of anyone who is a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.

No riled up emotions here. Just a plain statement of fact.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,232,210 times
Mike - You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You haven't seen the movie. You haven't heard the song you are quoting and it is painfully obvious. Mary is singing about how she is conflicted about Jesus because he is so different from all the other men she has ever known. The first words of the song are
I don't know how to love him, what to do, how to move him.

She talks about him being "just a man" because she is trying to convince herself that he is just a man. However she does not believe that. Which is why she is conflicted. Which is why she sings the song. Which you would understand if you saw the movie.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM

28,150 posts, read 30,097,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Mike - You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You haven't seen the movie. You haven't heard the song you are quoting and it is painfully obvious. Mary is singing about how she is conflicted about Jesus because he is so different from all the other men she has ever known. The first words of the song are
I don't know how to love him, what to do, how to move him.

She talks about him being "just a man" because she is trying to convince herself that he is just a man. However she does not believe that. Which is why she is conflicted. Which is why she sings the song. Which you would understand if you saw the movie.
I think the words to the entire song would be appropriate at this point. How can anyone see this as blasphemy?

I don't know how to love him.
What to do, how to move him.
I've been changed, yes really changed.
In these past few days, when I've seen myself,
I seem like someone else.
I don't know how to take this.
I don't see why he moves me.
He's a man. He's just a man.
And I've had so many men before,
In very many ways,
He's just one more.
Should I bring him down?
Should I scream and shout?
Should I speak of love,
Let my feelings out?
I never thought I'd come to this.
What's it all about?
Don't you think it's rather funny,
I should be in this position.
I'm the one who's always been
So calm, so cool, no lover's fool,
Running every show.
He scares me so.
I never thought I'd come to this.
What's it all about?
Yet, if he said he loved me,
I'd be lost. I'd be frightened.
I couldn't cope, just couldn't cope.
I'd turn my head. I'd back away.
I wouldn't want to know.
He scares me so.
I want him so.
I love him so.

This is a woman who is completely overcome by her feelings of love for Jesus, but confused because she has never felt this way before. She recognizes that Jesus is different and that she has changed since coming to know Him. She loves Him and yet she is almost afraid that He might love her back. She knows a relationship of the sort she's experienced in the past would not be appropriate. She is just expressing all of the thoughts that are going through her head. I think it's a positively beautiful song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity