Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Partner and Companion are words that the gay community uses for their significant others. I think scgraham is trying to figure out if you're gay. I could be wrong....and yeah, I'm blunt. Sorry.
Yes, that's what I was inclined to believe. If so, I know that God did not grant such a petition as that. Also, just because we pray for something, and receive it, that does not necessarily mean that God is the the One who granted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Yes, that's what I was inclined to believe. If so, I know that God did not grant such a petition as that. Also, just because we pray for something, and receive it, that does not necessarily mean that God is the the One who granted it.

Actually you don't know, it is religious nonsense that would say that two people together comitted to one another, happy and thriving for 28 years would not have been blessed by God. Fortunatly your beliefs have no effect on such a union.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM

229 posts, read 332,076 times
Quote:
When you are referring to your companion, do you mean your spouse? If not, and you are engaging in sexual activity with this person, then you're living in fornication (sin) and God is not behind your so called granted prayer request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Partner and Companion are words that the gay community uses for their significant others. I think scgraham is trying to figure out if you're gay. I could be wrong....and yeah, I'm blunt. Sorry.
A good indication of the type of conclusions suspicious, bigoted and narrow minded people jump to, without bothering to find out the facts first

Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
This is the typical semantics from unilateralists, a slight of words. Notwithstanding, the meaning of the verse is clear: if you sin after being made whole, then something worse will come upon you.

John 5
[8] Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.
[9] And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
[10] The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
[11] He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.
[12] Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?
[13] And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
[14] Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
You believe the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable then ?

Not a play on words whatsoever , it simply does not say that the very thing he was healed of would come back on him , it said something worse would .
I would say it's more like you clutching at straws to find a scripture to prove that God would takeaway that which He has freely given , yes even to the sinner .

I am suprised you haven't quoted "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away" , it was Job who said that not God if you do want to quote that at me.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,042 times
Actually, nothing is separated from Christ. Here, let's read what scripture says concerning it:

Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Col 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

If it's in heaven or on the earth, it's in Jesus right NOW. And eventually, in the fullness of times, it will all (all things) be gathered together as ONE in Him.

Amen, brother!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:
This is the typical semantics from unilateralists, a slight of words. Notwithstanding, the meaning of the verse is clear: if you sin after being made whole, then something worse will come upon you.

John 5
[9] And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
[10] The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
[11] He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.
[12] Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?
[13] And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
[14] Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
Like when the apostle Peter sinned by preferring the circumcision and Hypocritically teaching the false doctrine of observance of the law to the gentiles in contradiction of the true gospel even after he had received a vision from God commanding him not to do such a thing and even after he had received the indwelling of the holy spirit at Pentecost? (Galatians 2:11-21)

Sorry, Peter did not have his salvation taken away or his ability to work miracles in the name of Christ or his blessings or anything else.

More false teaching proven false by the example of the apostles in the scriptures.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:

John 5
That "something" may well be divine chastisement, not abandonment as you seem to infer.

Deu 8:5 and thou hast known, with thy heart, that as a man chastiseth his son Jehovah thy God is chastising thee,

Heb 12:6 for whom the Lord doth love He doth chasten, and He scourgeth every son whom He receiveth;'

Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
God only hears the prayers of sinners when seeking repentance; the prayers of unrepentant sinners and hypocrites go unheard.
If that is always the case, what then do we do with this?

Isa 57:16 For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.

Psa 78:37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant.
Psa 78:38 But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
Psa 78:39 For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again.

And here, sinners pray for God to "turn us". Obviously, the question is: "turn" from what? If they come to God with a repented heart, from what then are they being turned from?:

Psa 85:4 Turn us, O God of our salvation, and cause thine anger toward us to cease.
Psa 85:5 Wilt thou be angry with us for ever? wilt thou draw out thine anger to all generations?
Psa 85:6 Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?

Here, the sinner asks God to give repentance, so that they can repent. Obviously these sinners do not have repentance or they would not request that God turn them back:

Lam 5:21 Turn us back, O Jehovah, unto Thee, And we turn back, renew our days as of old.

And notice here: God is said to subdue the sinners iniquites. IOW, they're still in a sinning mode of operation, they are active sinners or there would be nothing for God to subdue, right?

Mic 7:18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.
Mic 7:19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

Interesting Hebrew word ָכַּבשׁ (kāḇaš):

It's a verb that (according to my Lexicon) means to subdue, to bring into subjection, to enslave. It means basically to overcome, to subdue, and in this case sin. Their sins are fully active and getting the better of them. They are not only sinners but egregious sinners that need their sin to be SUBDUED. And guess what? God subdues their sins for them.

Believe it my friend. God is much more compassionate on the sinner than you, or I, will ever hope to be.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
THE SINNER IS SEPARATED FROM CHRIST.

Hebrews 7:26 "For such a high priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, [FONT=Arial BlackSEPARATE FROM SINNERS[/font], and has become higher than the heavens." If you are a sinner Jesus Christ does not live in your heart as the Word of God clearly says you are separate from Him. Sin separates you from God, therefore, being a sinner makes you separate.

GOD DOES NOT HEAR THE PRAYERS OF SINNERS

John 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

1 Peter 3:12 also says, "For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; ]But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." God is saying here that He hears the prayers of the righteous but those who do evil (sinners) are not His and His face is set against them. If God is against you, are you saved? Certainly not!

Jesus Christ came to save sinners.

Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." The Lord says that Jesus died for us while we WERE STILL sinners. That i...s past tense. Jesus Christ died for sinners. Jesus rose from the dead as a promise to those who followed after Him who would die in the flesh to their sins. His death was the atonement. His resurrection was the promise. You don't get the promise without the atonement. If you want to follow Jesus you must walk where He walked. You must go where He went. When Jesus said in Matthew 16:24, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, let him take up his cross, and follow Me." Follow Him? Where was Jesus going? To the crucifixion at Calvary. That too is where you must go. The path to the resurrection goes straight through the crucifixion.

If you want to be resurrected like Christ and be with Him you must crucify your flesh on the cross.

Galatians 5:24, " Those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." You must crucify your sin. That is repentance. Once that is done then your spirit is raised from the dead in Christ and you are saved. Then you become born again as Jesus said in John 3:3 "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." But being born again means dying first. If you are still a sinner you are still the old you and not born again as the new you.

The Word says you become a new creation in Christ when you get born again (2 Corithians 5:17). If you still sin wilfully, how are you a new creation? If you say that you are saved and Christ lives in you and yet you cannot stop willfully sinning then you are saying that Christ living in you is weaker than the Devil outside of you who causes you to sin. But if you willfully sin Christ is not in you.

Once you have crucified your flesh and the Holy Spirit does indeed live in you then you will have the power of God Himself to walk apart from sin. Then you will be transformed into a SAINT.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
Hello, Verna hope you are having a pleasant day today. You know I use to hear the saying that God does not hear the sinner. But I personally don't believe that God doesn't hear them. I know that God can turn His ear away, but He can hear them.

Just think about it, if God never heard sinners, He never would have heard us when we finally came to Him. When we made our confession, we were not yet baptized, we made the confession with our mouth, which means that God had to forgive us, thus hear the sinner. Then we went through the rest of what was needed to complete our walk with God. We are all born into sin, so we have a sin nature, but yes we must be born again to make it into the Kingdom of God.

So, we may believe in something different on this matter. But to me God hears the sinner. I am not for just reading about stories about people lives and believing them. But I hear of people who denied God which is a sin making them a sinner but then confessed with their mouth and God came into their heart instantly.

So, I am thankful that God heard me because if He didn't there is no one in the world who could have saved me.

If you look at the conversion of Cornelius who was a Gentile, who was outside of the covenant before Gentiles were even considered. He wasn't baptized, He wasn't, circumsized, but He prayed to the one True God, but it still wasn't enough to save Him. As He fasted, an angel appeared to Him, which lets us know that God heard His prayers. Then Peter was sent to Him, and thus we read the Holy Spirit falls on the Gentiles, who were sinners.

God says who ever believes in Him will receive remission of sins. We read of sinners prayers who were answered.

Hagar asked God to protect her son Ishmael (Genesis 21:14-19). God not only protected Ishmael, God blessed him exceedingly.

The Gentile woman from the Tyre and Sidon area prayed that Jesus would deliver her daughter from a demon (Mark 7:24-30). Jesus cast the demon out of the woman’s daughter.

The people of Nineveh prayed that Nineveh might be spared (Jonah 3:5-10). God answered this prayer and did not destroy the city of Nineveh as He had threatened.

So, yes, there are instances in which God does not answer the prayers of an unbeliever. At the same time, in His grace and mercy, God can intervene in the lives of unbelievers in response to their prayers. Also, when God calls a person to repentance, they are unsaved or not born again.

So, it depends on the circumstance and the faith of the individual whether God will hear and answer their prayers. I mean when God calls the person they are in a sinful state, a sinner. So, to be saved, God has to hear them, because they have to pray to God in their unsaved state and believe what God says that He will do. If God didn't hears the sinners prayer, then there would be no use in praying to God to be saved.

We all are born in sin, which makes us sinners. If God never heard the sinners prayer, then it wouldn't make sense to create sinners if He was never going to hear there prayers. But hey, this is what I believe.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 10-19-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
If you look at the conversion of Cornelius who was a Gentile, who was outside of the covenant before Gentiles were even considered. He wasn't baptized, He wasn't, circumsized, but He prayed to the one True God, but it still wasn't enough to save Him. As He fasted, an angel appeared to Him, which lets us know that God heard His prayers. Then Peter was sent to Him, and thus we read the Holy Spirit falls on the Gentiles, who were sinners.
It's interesting that you used the term "conversion" here. In many ways the story of Cornelius reveals to us that he was in-fact regenerated (born of the Spirit) before being converted to the faith, as it were, or even before having heard the Gospel. Here is an article (written from a reformed perspective) that illustrates this idea with convincing arguments:

When Was Cornelius Born Again?

If you scroll down to the end of the article you'll find additional information, or you can simply go here:

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/sermons/...lius-saved.pdf

Our conversion, and being born of the Spirit, are not necessarily the same thing, nor do they necessarily have to happen at the same time, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity