Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:52 PM

223 posts, read 170,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm2850 View Post
Wow, it's so interesting to read these 10 year old posts about Portage Park and how things have changed in 2020. I live on the east side of Portage Park at Cicero and Grace and at least in this area, the sudden surge in the Hispanic population from about 10 years ago is reversing. The low income Hispanics are leaving really quickly. You have basically middle income Hispanic families who are still here.

There are homes selling for $600-$700K and a lot of realtors are referring to this as Old Irving Park when Old Irving starts two block east of me at the train tracks. They also claim that the train tracks that separate Old Irving from Portage Park might become the next 606 trail in a lot of the real estate listings. The entire 60641 zip code is priced pretty high. West Portage Park which is 60634 averages lower home prices.

My block is mostly non-ethnic white Americans with a couple of Polish and Irish families. There is only one Mexican family on my street and the rest of the Hispanics are mostly middle class Puerto Ricans or South Americans. There's also a few Filipino families. And usually when a Hispanic family or a long time white family sells, younger whites move in to their homes, some of them are the hipster types that took over Logan Square.

Personally, I really don't care what the racial make up of eastern Portage Park becomes as long as it's middle class. I have noticed the businesses that have opened, especially some of the restaurants are geared toward middle class folks. I hope the remaining businesses that cater to more lower class and ghetto type people such as laundromats and cheap corner stores, pack up and go. We could use another sushi bar or coffee shop around here.
60634 is more expensive than 60641
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 03:05 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There is a new book out called Finding Latinx: In Search of the Voices Redefining Latino Identity (and it was pronounced LATIN X on the interview with the author.

It is a way to include various communities especially ***** latinos. Afrolatino, indigenous, Muslim, ***** and undocumented, living in large cities and small towns—are voices who have been chronically overlooked in how the diverse population of almost sixty million Latinos in the U.S. has been represented. No longer.
You know what other word already includes these people?

"Latino."

Old 12-09-2020, 07:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You know what other word already includes these people?

"Latino."
Yep, and using an unpronounceable word in spanish to refer to certain spanish speakers seems to be the epitome of "colonialism" that the woke despise so much.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:00 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Vlajos, to date, I have not heard ANYONE who speaks Spanish EVER use that term!!!

And call me ignorant, but I do not use it in English nor Spanish.

Then again, I guess I am not owning up to any color guilt, gender guilt, etc.

And you know why?

Because there is nothing to feel guilty ABOUT!!!

I will spare you the pain of ever hearing me said lah-TEEN-ex, or LATIN-EX, lah-TINKS. I apologize in advance for even having considered it, and I chalk it up to my white privilege :-)

Old 04-16-2021, 05:35 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Larry Siegel, good morning,

It's all good. Just go to Portage Park and be YOU (no need to say "White privileged").

We are ALL people. And Portage Park is a pretty nice neighborhood.

Gotta be positive AND on-topic

Old 04-16-2021, 08:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I will spare you the pain of ever hearing me said lah-TEEN-ex, or LATIN-EX, lah-TINKS. I apologize in advance for even having considered it, and I chalk it up to my white privilege :-)
What is the meaning of Latinx? This word i keep hearing. I'm guessing its the new word for what used to be Latino, maybe Latino is now not politically correct or something???

by the way, whomever was describing Old Irving Park, in the summer, go on one of the house walking tours. You can go inside those beautiful old historic homes. Amazing!!!!!

Does anyone here remember Six Corners when it had Sears, Kees, Jack In the Box, Boston Fish Market?

Old 04-16-2021, 09:09 AM

ChicagoMeO, good morning,

Allow me to explain, to the best of my ability.....

Terms like 'White", "Black", etc. to describe one's heritage does NOT have a connotation of sex/gender.

The term, "Latino" however would refer, technically to JUST a male. And in Spanish, specifically, a female would be a "Latina." And in Spanish, a group of males and females of THAT background would be "Latinos."

So LatinX removes the sex/gender-specific connotation.

Well, I am a LatinO, and that's all there is to it.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:47 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Terms like 'White", "Black", etc. to describe one's heritage does NOT have a connotation of sex/gender.

The term, "Latino" however would refer, technically to JUST a male. And in Spanish, specifically, a female would be a "Latina." And in Spanish, a group of males and females of THAT background would be "Latinos."

Why not just say "Latin"? It drops the gender-identifying vowel altogether. And it doesn't have the annoying "woke" factor of saying "Latinx".

Old 04-19-2021, 07:06 AM

MillenialUrbanist, good morning,

I do hear what you're saying. However, I would say that the reason to not say "Latin" is because Latin is, itself, a root of those Romance languages. Yet, the term latino/a signified that it was a DERIVATIVE of Latin, versus BEING Latin (The latter suggesting that it's immediate root was Italian!).

Your suggestion, however, does make sense. Yet, I understand why that is NOT the choice, based on the reasoning I just gave.

I believe in being sensitive to people's thoughts and feelings. At the same time, I choose my limitations. As of right now, I am going to go forward referring to myself as latinO, chicanO, hispanO, mexicanO, etc.

If someone takes issue with it, well, hopefully we'll be able to move forward....

The problem, if we are on eggshells taking time to think about our words to talk to people, no one is going to ever want to talk to anyone. And THAT is NOT good!

Old 04-19-2021, 05:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
ChicagoMeO, good morning,

Allow me to explain, to the best of my ability.....

ah i never knew that.. guess its like we cant call a person a "waitress" anymore, or an "actress' anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago