Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,655,066 times

Advertisements

Very interesting thread. I grew up in South Carolina in a predominantly black middle class neighbor hood. Nothing special, all of my friend’s parents had jobs, owned or were buying their homes, had health insurance, some graduated college, some didn’t (you know all the stereotypical things that black people aren’t supposed to have). My point is I have had similar experiences with the whole “acting white” cliché as described. Not in South Carolina so much, as in places outside of the southeast, mid-Atlantic, and northeastern regions of the country. In college I had people call me a “sell out” because I would study, dress casual (not “gangsta, or preppy” mind you) just casual. I felt like damn if I wasn’t pretending to sell drugs, where a “Yankees” cap backwards, or sport a platinum chain then I wasn’t black enough. My fiancé and I have considered Chicago as well and I was puzzled as to why I didn’t see as many minorities (particularly young professionals) as I was expecting to see in a city such as Chicago? I was curious where are all the young black professionals in Chicago? To put things into perspective we actually stayed in Skokie and spent most of our time in downtown. I really expected to see a larger representation of middle-upper class African Americans in the area. Not a slam on Chicago just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
You have to get out more! There's a whole raft of middle-income black folks on the southside who are not gangsta or thugs. They play golf, ride bikes, have choruses, a drill team, a kid symphony, dance troupes and work everyday. Because you're not from Chicago, you may not get referred to those areas, if you don't have relatives there. The southside of Chicago is the largest black neighborhood in the world ; bigger than Harlem, Bed-Stuy or Watts. Check it out!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Growing up in the south-suburbs as I have, I can tell you, there are loads of middle-income and wealthy black communities out there, those are the kids I grew up with as well. Olympia Fields is a very good example (it is pretty racially integrated, but majority black, and the median income for a family is 100k and one of the wealthiest majority black communities in the US according to Wiki) ... having grown up near that area, I can believe it.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM

737 posts, read 1,655,066 times
That's good to hear I tell you I was really shocked when we were there. We will have to check out the South Side neighborhoods next time we are there. What areas would you reccomend?

Last time we were there we where informed of an "up and coming neighborhood" named Austin via an internet real estate site. Yeah needless to say there was no way that was gonna happen.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Austin has been an "up and coming neighborhood" for 25 years now. It will probably get there eventually, but for now it's happening at a glacial pace.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 AM

6 posts, read 29,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
That's good to hear I tell you I was really shocked when we were there. We will have to check out the South Side neighborhoods next time we are there. What areas would you reccomend?

Last time we were there we where informed of an "up and coming neighborhood" named Austin via an internet real estate site. Yeah needless to say there was no way that was gonna happen.

now, im not black, but i do live on the south side of chicago, about 2 blocks from the "black neighborhood" as its called-please dont take this racially, im in no way a racist,just not very PC-but stay away from any black neighborhood along 90/94-there all drug infested

BUT if you go west, to about 74th and Jeffery, thats a pretty good neighborhood-I had a high school friend who lived on Jeffery-about 2 miles away is that guy who did the million man marches house, im not good with names either

also- unkown to most residents of chicago- theres a small suburb south of chicago called Park Forest with a very large upper-middle class black families-the non "gangsta" type

my dad lives there, everyone is nice, very well mixed racially, and very welcoming to mixed race families

Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
j33

Blooclot - I know about park forest, I grew up on Western Ave down in that part of the Chicago area. Growing up knowing so many middle class and wealthy African American families, when I moved away, I was surprised at the other stereotype, as it had no basis in any reality I had ever known.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 29,378 times
park Foret is pretty south of chicago, not nearwestern at all, i think your thinking of evergreen park maybe?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 AM
j33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLooDCLotT View Post

also- unkown to most residents of chicago- theres a small suburb south of chicago called Park Forest with a very large upper-middle class black families-the non "gangsta" type

my dad lives there, everyone is nice, very well mixed racially, and very welcoming to mixed race families

You were the one that brought up Park Forest, I was just saying that I was familiar with the place ... and yes part of park forest butts up against Chicago Heights at Western and 30, there is an Aurelio's down there we'd order pizza from (I was born in chicago heights).

Yes, it is a bit of a hike from Chicago proper, but it is in the Chicago Area which I stated in my previous post.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 AM

76 posts, read 223,810 times
Default Sounding Confused

I think that biracial individuals miss out on the "minority experience by isolating themselves. "Class is a state of mind". Do you feel connected to African American culture? Being called sister is a gesture of respect. I know Caucasians who admire the black/ African culture more that biracial individuals such as you. It's sad to see such self-deprecation and misinformation. Also, research more historical facts of the socially economic structure of America to get true understanding, love and compassion for YOUR OWN people. "

From one sista to another

It's not about where you're from but where you're AT"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork View Post
Thanks for your replies. I just wonder how the self-segregation plays out. To be honest, the only upper-class, black professional neighborhood in NYC is Harlem - and that's getting mixed too. Self-segregation doesn't happen so much here. Poor minorities living amongst each other has less to do with choice than circumstance. A lot of what I read here makes it sound like the self-segregation in Chicago is across the board - from poor blacks to rich blacks... If you don't live in a black neighborhood, there's a problem - especially amongst Black professionals. Yes, more whites live in Manhattan than any other part of the city. But if you look at a demographic map, the hunks of solid colors representing ethnicities are smaller and variously dispersed. Chicago, on the other hand, has one gigantic chunk of black neighborhoods.

I talked on the phone with my cousin last night (white guy). First thing he said about Chicago after congratulating me was that it has a "very intersting environment, racially... but you'll be at a University."

What does that mean I'm actually less worried about white racism than black racism. I've never gotten used to the socioeconomic/phenotypic politics in that community. I've always been proud of black history, but never understood why some random dude I've never met in my life would address me as "sister." Are there any blacks and mixed people who can offer perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago